Remove this Banner Ad

Mick backs leaders
Leaders back Mick
Mick backs players
Players back leaders
President backs Mick
Players back Mick
Captain Carlton backs hovercraft

We may be shit at footy, but our support network is top notch.
made me laugh - fanks:thumbsu:

I'm not comparing onfield output, I'm comparing forthright comments.

At least Chaplin actually says something that surprises you, our guys tell you nothing and tick off clichés from their list.
So you'd rather listen to a guy who talks tough and plays the game from the third row?

Talk is cheap. Between over scrutiny and misrepresentation there is nothing and no one worth listening to.

Only actions matter, and here at least Murph has Chaplin covered.

So you'd rather listen to a guy who talks tough and plays the game from the third row?

Talk is cheap. Between over scrutiny and misrepresentation there is nothing and no one worth listening to.

Only actions matter, and here at least Murph has Chaplin covered.

Well I'm not sure that Murphy & Gibbs have covered themselves in glory thus far this season but if that's what you think then so be it.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-15/robbo-blues-players-talk-crap-murph-shadow-of-himself

“Right now, we are looking at a Carlton team who talk crap because they get up there in their press conferences and talk the talk, then they get out there and, nah.”

Robinson also took aim at skipper Marc Murphy, who has come under a great deal of scrutiny as the leader of the playing group.

He will be 28 soon and has struggled to get back to his output levels he produced four to five years ago.

“I really like Marc Murphy but he is a shadow of what he was, and he’s the captain,” said Robinson.

“Two years ago when everybody was having a crack at him I defended him because he was getting over injuries.

“They say he’s injury-free but he is not dynamic now.”

MM's selection was premature and probably stopped from becoming a genuine 'A' Grader. Give him that extra two years then offer him the role would have been perfect. He didn't need all of the pressure and attention on him and they should have let him develop. Simpson or Jamieson should have gotten the roles (Captain & Vice Captain) As for Gibbs he is a front runner. When the team is playing well and the confidence is there he bobs up with his possessions. When things are hard he blends into the crowd and just don't see him. Team mates notice these things. One courageous act, chase, tackle, smother can show your team mates how it is done and lifts them to imitate your actions. When I was a young lad I used to watch Bob Skilton week in and week out get his head smashed in playing for a shi*t team in South Melbourne. He won three Brownlows and 9 B&F and carried that club for 15 years. He played on two and three opponents at times and still overcame the scragging and dirty tactics. He played finals once in 15 years. Yes footballer is quicker and physically harder today, but the basic concepts of leadership have not changed.
Well said, agree 100%. When Juddy stepped aside it's not a simple case of the next best player being Captain. Murph clearly wasn't ready. I thought Carrots at the time but luckily I was wrong because since then he's been off the park more than on it. In the absence of any extroverts Simmo was the other overlooked option who has since gone on to a B & F. Nick Maxwell was a spud of a player but will go down as a Premiership Captain.

Why was it Chris Judd making comment (perfectly I might add) and not the captain of the club?, I would have thought it a fairly important time when the club has just sacked the coach to be out leading and available to the media, I hope the club did not issue any form of gag order on him yesterday, he needs to be central in pulling the group together and we the supporter base need to see this.

Hopeful that this is the making of Marc murphy the leader and he takes real ownership of the group from here because after yesterday it still looks like Judd who leads to me.

My belief is Murph just wont grow into being a good captain. Let's face it many will have shown something by now and i would just like to concentrate on getting back to his best form and let the new coach/committee/players pick someone who has actually demonstrated captaincy qualities for the long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, but who do we have like that?

th

yeah, but who do we have like that?

th

I had a chat with him at auskick the morning after the Geelong loss and he was very impressive and was clearly hurting about the club's performance. He was there with Judd, Bell and Casboult but he just had an aura of authority about him that the others (bar Judd) didn't have.

I think him and Bryce were playing injured for the first few rounds, when Barker came in he knew they needed a weeks break to get right where no doubt MM was encouraging them to play as he knew his job was on the line.

Played out of his skin today. Hope he keeps it up, one game isn't enough to say that he's turned the corner.
Best game i have seen Murph play for a couple of years, very evident he wasnt playing for free kicks today.

Played out of his skin today. Hope he keeps it up, one game isn't enough to say that he's turned the corner.
No question he struggled for the first month of the season, but I really think he has been having a red hot go for the last 3-4 weeks & today a lot of things finally fell into place for him. I hope those who consider Murphy to be trade bait can see that we need him to be at our club as we go through our rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Captaincy, Leadership & Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back