Captaincy, Leadership & Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it was one of you guys but there was a twitter discussion on BigFooty Blues yesterday whereby a follower said Murphy was not damaging, all sideways, backwards and hospital balls on top of people. There seems to be a perception issue with Murph's current incarnation. Far better than a Murph 30 disposal game where he still doesn't work hard. He has gone inside more often and is breaking the lines.

Murphy has been good lately, it's no coincidence he's not getting tagged much now we are so insipid. He very much reminds me of Dal Santo. Very good when not tagged and not so good under a hard tag. We should have put Simpson in as capt at the time of his appointment and transitioned to him or Gibbs next year. I'm a big believer that 26-27 yrs of age is the right age bracket to take on the job. There is no need to burden a young player. Richmond should have done the same with Cotchin. They have burdened him at a young age and he's struggled at times with it just like Murphy. Why the haste to burden young players as they are still learning and evolving their own games bewilders me.

Not sure if it was one of you guys but there was a twitter discussion on BigFooty Blues yesterday whereby a follower said Murphy was not damaging, all sideways, backwards and hospital balls on top of people. There seems to be a perception issue with Murph's current incarnation. Far better than a Murph 30 disposal game where he still doesn't work hard. He has gone inside more often and is breaking the lines.
Please tell me that comment wasn't made after the game?

2 goals from the skipper yesterday was fairly damaging.

Please tell me that comment wasn't made after the game?

2 goals from the skipper yesterday was fairly damaging.

Half way through.

Murphy has been good lately, it's no coincidence he's not getting tagged much now we are so insipid. He very much reminds me of Dal Santo. Very good when not tagged and not so good under a hard tag. We should have put Simpson in as capt at the time of his appointment and transitioned to him or Gibbs next year. I'm a big believer that 26-27 yrs of age is the right age bracket to take on the job. There is no need to burden a young player. Richmond should have done the same with Cotchin. They have burdened him at a young age and he's struggled at times with it just like Murphy. Why the haste to burden young players as they are still learning and evolving their own games bewilders me.

This is why we shouldn't burden Cripps or docherty with the captaincy until well later in their careers. Keep Murphy in the position until Cripps or docherty are 25-26 years old.

On the tagging matter of Murphy. I doubt it will matter as much now with players in our midfield which are happy to smash and crash. Holman Cripps and bell (who hopefully stays, we made him what he is) can make you pay.

Watching him sidestep opponents and drill goals yesterday was fantastic. Murph's best asset was always his swagger and this is what suffered the most from the combo of injuries/captaincy/Mick/whatever. Honestly think he's back in the elite bracket of attacking mids, and with some tougher personalities around him this time he's looking like the leader we were crying out for him to be.

I thought that was pendles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicking sidways, kicks backwards of center etc. handball receives. that sort of thing. Stat boosting!

Ah I see. Some of our supporters judge our own players a lot more harshly.

This is why we shouldn't burden Cripps or docherty with the captaincy until well later in their careers. Keep Murphy in the position until Cripps or docherty are 25-26 years old.

On the tagging matter of Murphy. I doubt it will matter as much now with players in our midfield which are happy to smash and crash. Holman Cripps and bell (who hopefully stays, we made him what he is) can make you pay.

Absolutely agree. I cringe when people talk of Cripps taking the captaincy in the near future. Let him win a couple of brownlows first. I'd like to see Murphy pass is on to Gibbs when he's 29-30 for a couple of years before Cripps gets it at 25 at the earliest.

Fair enough, you'd see more than me.
On the ground he leads by example, week in and week out. He's not getting the support he should from the rest of the Leadership group as you pointed out.

Just an observation (from watching TV live & replays) but I don't believe that other teams rate Murphy.
There are a lot of little jabs, bumps, knees, pushing etc that goes on with no retaliation from Murphy or the team.
No way should the team let those sorts of 'things' go unrewarded.
Opposition teams need to know that when you take on one Carlton player, you take on the whole Carlton team.

I am also not a fan of giving the captaincy to the 'best' player, sure have them in the leadership group but not as Captain.
I think that is where we failed with Judd. Too much was expected of him all the time with very little support.
Looks like it is being repeated with Murphy.
Jamison, Walker, Yarran, Simpson, Gibbs etc have been around the club for a while now but their leadership is not there to be seen.
We are seeing leadership coming from our younger group (which is brilliant) but that in itself shows up the deficiency that exists with our current leaders.

You don't think Simpson shows leadership? I see him being very vocal out there most games
Off the field he's really closed off and quiet.

My Aunty actually lived next door to him up until recently.

Nice guy but not captain material. Doubt he'd enjoy the limelight much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Captaincy, Leadership & Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back