Careers outside AFL that have outshone their playing careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

How about a 4th nomination for Darren Bennett?

Mike Fitzpatrick is a good call, although he's had great careers in and out of football.

Shane Warne - Mediocre reserves footballer, turn one of five wisden cricketers of the century, Australian sports hero and recognised around the globe.

Robert Walls - Critics easiest target, whether coach, journalist or commentator.

Brady Anderson - Ordinary footballer turn supermodels male friend and personal trainer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Bruiser Lang who played in the early 1900s - for Carlton and North Fremantle in the WAFL.

Bruiser went on to fight and lose in a heavyweight championship bout in boxing of the world in about in 1909 ( Ithink).

Bluey Truscott - fighter pilot in World War 2 and Melbourne footballer (I think)

Arnold Briedis and Shane Zantuck - grew Sportsco from tiny shop at Broady into Australia's biggest sporting franchise of stores. Sold it a few years ago for good dollars too!

FF:L Fox S Beasley ??????
CHF: D Bennett D Chipp K Truscott
C: D Nicholls L Pickering M Fitzpatrick (c)
CHB: R Nixon R Alexander K Miller
FB: M Walker G Pert ??????
R: J Madden B Lang S O'Donnell M Campbell

A team made of the players mentioned so far...I've left out players who were famous for being coaches, AFL administrators etc...but left in media, agents etc. Also only put in guys that have paid senior VFL/AFL footy.

The ones in bold i'm not sure about, since all were fantastic players. Dench is in the hall of fame i think. Tried to do the best positions but some I don't have a clue about....give us your suggestions and changes to positions & i'll update it.

*edit; Sorry royals1922, missed out on 'Bluey' Truscott...you've put some good ones there. interesting story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Careers outside AFL that have outshone their playing careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back