Carey to play against the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Clokey

Put Clokey on him. Will drive him nuts and also run off him. Can't see the King wanting to stretch out too much.

I hope this true. Makes the match a little more interesting. I don't wish ionjury on anyone as rule but I will ***** myself if he limps off. Of course if he kicks 6 I'll be getting the sniper rifle out.

Crows name Carey
1:16:32 PM Thu 13 March, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Boom Adelaide recruit Wayne Carey could make his first official appearance for the Crows in Saturday’s Wizard Cup grand final against Collingwood.

Carey was named in the Crows’ 28 man squad on Thursday, having failed to take part in the earlier rounds of the pre-season competition due to a back-related hamstring.

The former Kangaroos’ premiership captain’s only appearance for Adelaide was in a low-key practice match back in early February.

The Crows will also be bolstered on Saturday night by the return of skipper Mark Ricciuto, who will also make his first appearance of the pre-season.

Ricciuto has missed the Crows’ first three matches of the Wizard Cup, having been recovering from post-season ankle surgery.

Former skipper Mark Bickley, who has had an interrupted pre-season due to lingering problems from the broken leg he suffered last season, was also named in the Crows’ squad.

The Magpies’ 28 man squad is basically the same squad that has been so impressive in their earlier wins over Carlton, Geelong and Hawthorn.

However goalsneak Brodie Holland and defender Ben Johnson, who are both yet to play in the Wizard Cup, were named while Glen Freeborn is still an absentee.

And promising first year player Matthew Lokan – who has been so impressive across half-back during the Wizard Cup – also kept his place in the Magpies’ squad.

SQUADS:
Adelaide: Andrew Crowell, Wayne Carey, Matthew Clarke, Ronnie Burns, Nigel Smart, Nathan Bassett, Tyson Edwards, Matthew Bode, Michael Doughty, Jason Torney, Ken McGregor, Graham John****, Mark Stevens, Tyson Stenglein, James Gallagher, Ian Perrie, Andrew McLeod, Brett Burton, Mark Bickley, James Begley, Ben Marsh, Mark Ricciuto, Brent Reilly, Ben Hart, Rhett Biglands, Simon Goodwin, Martin Mattner, Chris Ladhams

Collingwood: Rupert Betheras, Scott Burns, Nathan Buckley, James Clement, Jason Cloke, Richard Cole, Leon Davis, Alan Didak, Josh Fraser, Brodie Holland, Ben Johnson, Ben Kinnear, Paul Licuria, Tarkyn Lockyer, Matthew Lokan, Ryan Lonie, Steve McKee, Jarrod Molloy, Shane O'Bree, Simon Prestigiacomo, Anthony Rocca, Heath Scotland, Rhyce Shaw, Chris Tarrant, Shane Wakelin, Tristian Walker, Andrew Williams, Shane Woewodin Heath Scotland, Rhyce Shaw, Chris Tarrant, Shane Wakelin, Tristian Walker, Andrew Williams, Shane Woewodin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by FIGJAM
Is Bill a South Aussie?

Matty is from the Port Adelaide Magpies. He is looking the goods too, just quietly!! :cool:

Yes Bill does live in SA - teaches at my old school, but no Matty is not his son.

This article on Matt Lokan is from June 2002's(Port Adelaide) Magpies News

Matthew Lokan - Getting Into Good Habits Early!

With the season less than a third underway, young gun Matthew Lokan has done what most players dream about - not once but twice already! In the space of just a couple of months, Matthew has twice kicked the winning goal in the dying seconds of the match to snatch victory for the Magpies. He did it in a pre-season trial against South at Alberton, and repeated his magic in a match for premiership points against North Adelaide at Prospect.

Matthew relives these precious moments for Magpie News readers: "in the trial against South we were three points down with about a minute to go and I managed to kick the winning goal. Against North, all I can remember is James Wilson grabbing the ball out of the backline and running down the wing. Stephen Carter, Adam Morgan (from North) and I were out on our own in the forward line. Stephen and I went in different directions and Morgan followed Stephen. The next thing I knew I had the ball in my hands and there was a bit of space in front of me. I thought to myself, geez, I might be able to score a goal here, I took a couple of bounces, kicked the ball and it went through for a goal, Mum, dad, and my aunty, uncle and grandparents were down for that game and they were all pretty pumped."

In fact, mum (Robyn) and dad (Robert) have been there for just about every match Matthew has ever played, religiously supporting their son on his football journey. Matthew is a local Port Adelaide lad, who idolised Martin Leslie as a youngster, went to as many Magpie games as he could with his parents and was fortunate to see all the Magpie premierships during the 1990s. As a player himself, he has worked his way from primary school footy at North Haven, through the Under 9s to 15s at Port Districts and on to the Magpie underage and Reserves teams, with a stint of college football for St Michaels in between. Along the way his football talent has been rewarded with selection in the State Under 18 team in 2000, a team which included some pretty fair players like Alan Didak, Scott Thompson, Shaun Burgoyne and Kane Comes. At the end of 2000, Matthew also attended the AFL Draft Camp for promising juniors and trained during the early preseason with Port Power. Matthew describes his early taste of AFL football as: "many more sessions and much more intensive, with the emphasis on skills."

With an impressive physique (height 188cm and weight 92 kg), Matthew played most of his junior footy in the key forward or centre half back positions), but now finds himself at the goal front for the Magpies league team. Indeed, at the start of the year, Matthew viewed season 2002 as 'make or break' for his footy. He states "Now I've turned 19 and I felt that, if I didn't have a big pre-season and get myself super fit, It could have been all downhill from there. So I really worked hard on my fitness, built up my endurance and tried to develop my skills. League is so much faster and more physical and you really need that endurance base."

Matthew's pre-season efforts didn't go unnoticed by the coach. Stephen Williams notes: "Matthew made up his mind at the start of the year that he wanted to play league football this season and to achieve something special with his footy. His work on the track pre-season was outstanding and I could tell he was serious about making a full-blooded attempt to play senior footy. He got his opportunity in the trials and has played in the league team since. He's certainly shown a great deal of improvement in his footy. Everyone will remember Mathew's kick for goal in the last 10 seconds of the match against North. It shows that Matthew has something a little bit special - to be in that position and have the poise to take a couple of bounces, steady and then kick the goal when it really counted showed real maturity.

Wouldn't it be good if Matthew could repeat his nail-biting, sharp-shooting habits three times in a row and this time perhaps in a final. Keep making a habit of it, Matthew!

Ten's reporting it's going to happen, too. Carey is fit and ready to go, they say.

No hoax, it appears...

And even if they're "three days late" as well, Topjars, your link doesn't work. It's taking me straight to a "reply to thread" box. :( :confused:

Thanks for that Ford fairlane as a lot of us at Collingwood don't know much about him other than he played at Port Magpies.

To my liking he has certainly fitted in quickly to MM's gameplan and looks very mature for his age. I very much like the look of him and I reckon we will be seeing a lot more of him in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey to play against the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back