Jerome

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows, Centrals
Just got back from training at Adelaide Oval.

Carey, Welsh, Massie are out.

Torney, Rutten, Hentschel and Shirley all trained.

Training was good - solid, and upbeat. Gary seemed happy with it.

I listened to some of the Coach's press conference - hard to do with the construction work in the background - and it seems that Hentschel and Rutten are in.

Good luck Crows!

We are screwed. Massie is most "Replacable" of the three but Carey and Welsh are huge losses.

I think Rutten will play at CHF and Hentschel across HF or out of forward pocket. Torney will finally get some ground time.

I would hate to take Burton off the wing or Roo out of the centre but I reckon we must sacrifice one (at times) to kick a winning score.:(

We are by no means ****ed,we have to go over there and play a very good game of footy,this is what we need,we need this pressure we play better when we are under a bit of pressure. Mcleod if gets hold of that footy anywhere with 50 m of goal has got to bang it through non of this passing off crap he has been doing lately,Perrie has to lead and be strong he has to kick a bag 6+ for us to win Ricutto and Burton will have to spend time down in the forwardline,maybe even rotate McGregor down there!!!!! Instead of sending Biglands and Clarke to the bench when they are resting from ruck duties throw them forward, This is Rutten and Hentschel's BIG chance they are both going to have to play a game and a half!!!!!!

Have faith Crows fans we are going over there to break the Hoo Doo:D We will come home with the four points and be 2nd position ladder on the ladder!!!!!!

Weather forecast for tomorrow in Perth as follows:

FORECAST FOR THE PERTH METROPOLITAN AREA
Issued at 9:05pm WST on Saturday the 19th of July 2003 for Sunday

FORECAST:
Occasional showers this morning, easing to a shower or two in the afternoon.
W'ly winds becoming fresh S/SW'ly early this morning.

TEMPERATURES: Minimum: 6 Maximum: 16
UV INDEX: 3 [MODERATE] Decreasing to 2 [Low] under cloud

Occasional showers are expected to develop overnight with the passage of a weak cold front, but should ease to a shower or two in the afternoon with lengthy fine periods.

I was hoping for a wet wet day which would suit our smalls, but sadly it looks like the game will be played in mainly fine conditions. To win, it's going to take one hell of an effort from every player in the team, including the"no name brands"

What a bugger to lose 3 key players when 2nd spot is there for the taking in the short term.

Let's hope the boys can do it!!

I agree with Marty - dont give up yet Crow fans!

Adelcrows - it was indeed official that they were not playing. If they didnt train yesterday, they were not going to play.

However things could be good for next week - Goody could be back. this is from realfooty.com

Hopes for the west go south
By Alan Shiell
Adelaide
July 20 2003

Adelaide's hopes of becoming the first interstate team to win at Subiaco Oval this season have been severely dented, with forwards Wayne Carey and Scott Welsh and defender Kris Massie ruled out of today's match against Fremantle.

The Crows reinstated Jason Torney, who had been omitted, and called up tall 20-year-olds Trent Hentschel and Ben Rutten. James Gallagher flew to Perth as the emergency player.

Hentschel will be playing only his third AFL match after inconspicuous appearances as a forward against Sydney at the SCG in round three and Melbourne at AAMI Stadium in round 12.

Rutten, a strongly built key-position player who led South Australia at the national under-18 championships in 2001, will be making his AFL debut after recovering from a broken thumb.

Carey, Welsh and Massie did not train at Adelaide Oval yesterday, only a few hours before the Crows flew to Perth.

Carey's omission was not surprising, even though he had been hoping his gashed right knee would mend in time.

Welsh also did not recover quickly enough after straining his back lifting weights on Monday.

Massie has been playing with a sore hip and is resting in the expectation that he - and Carey and Welsh - will resume against St Kilda at AAMI Stadium next Sunday.

Meanwhile, Adelaide midfielder Simon Goodwin hopes to return against the Saints. He has resumed full training after having the plaster cast removed from the broken wrist that has kept him out of five games (including today's against the Dockers).

Fremantle trained yesterday, with Dockers coach Chris Connolly handing his young team a verbal barrage after a sloppy start to training. The straight-talking mentor, who last week called on the AFL to ban players from swearing, would have filled a swear jar following his five-minute spray.

Adelaide, one of the best travelling teams in the AFL, was the last interstate team to win in the west in round 22 last year.

A win is vital for the Dockers edging towards their first finals berth while the Crows need to shore up their position in the top four.

Dockers assistant coach Kelly O'Donnell conceded the Crows' omissions were a boost for the Dockers.

"It is certainly handy if guys like Carey and these fellows are not playing, because of how much class they have and the way they can dictate a game through their performance," he said.

- with AAP

I'm not sure if this is blind loyalty or blind stupidity, but I stand by my weekend footy tipping......Adelaide over Fremantle. In a 2 horse race, you're always a chance.....I just think we match up really well on Freo, and whilst not as confident as I would be if Carey and Welsh were playing, I still think we are a decent chance.

Cheers,

Kasey

Originally posted by Still Crowing
I'm not sure if this is blind loyalty or blind stupidity, but I stand by my weekend footy tipping......Adelaide over Fremantle. In a 2 horse race, you're always a chance.....I just think we match up really well on Freo, and whilst not as confident as I would be if Carey and Welsh were playing, I still think we are a decent chance.

Cheers,

Kasey

I agree! I had no second thoughts in picking Adelaide. We were the last side to win in WA and we're going in today with a recent break. Only thing that concerns me is the loss of experience in Welsh and Carey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been thinking about the inclusion of two inexperienced talls in Rutten and Hentschel.

It's a big ask for these 2 to be key forwards and have a major effect on the game.

As both can play CHB, I wondered if the plan might be to play Perrie and McGregor as the key forwards and one of Rutten or Hentschel at CHB.

Does anyone else think this could be the plan, or do you think they're going to put the young lads up forward??

Originally posted by macca23
I've been thinking about the inclusion of two inexperienced talls in Rutten and Hentschel.

It's a big ask for these 2 to be key forwards and have a major effect on the game.

As both can play CHB, I wondered if the plan might be to play Perrie and McGregor as the key forwards and one of Rutten or Hentschel at CHB.

Does anyone else think this could be the plan, or do you think they're going to put the young lads up forward??
I was thinking the same thing yesterday once I found out the changes. I think Hentschel will play forward. Whether thats at FF, FP or across HF, it remains to be seen.

I am almost certain that Perrie will play at FF. With Welsh out of the side, he is the bloke that is assigned to be a leader in appalying defensive pressure in the forward line. I think McGregor will play in defence, especially when Sandilands rests up forward for the dockers. Bassett might be played at CHF and he will need to produce the sort of game he produced last year against Roos in Canberra (playing at CHF). If Bassett moves to CHF them I think McGregor might pick Longmuir who plays FF, and Rutten will be moved to CHB.

However, knowing that Ayersy likes to back his players in, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Rutten is thrown to the wolves and is out CHF for the day. Whoever plays CHF I just want them to make a contest and let our crumbers do the work.

I am more hopeful than confident with this game.:(

The reason why the training looked upbeat is that the boys give themselves a real chance of doing the dockers....and so do I.

Massie is not as replaceable as some would have you think. He will be a huge loss as hes been providing some good drive off the back half. Torney should slot in here. ( Remember his game earlier in the year against this mob:confused: )

Im lookin forward to Rutten rootin' the Dockers with a big game.
If Hentschel comes through that would be nice but after his first two appearances Im not that hopeful unless its at halfback.

This is a big game for both clubs but second spot looms for us which is why we'll want the points more.

The start is crucial;)

Hopefully Trent will be picking splinters out of his arse after the game :)

I think Perrie will play the half forward role, roaming the wide open spaces of Subi while one of McGregor, Rutten or even god forbid Hentschel will be at the goal front.

Our only saving grace is our midfield remains intact, we'll have to dominate for 4 quarters there, but Freo run over sides at Subi and can pile on the goals very quickly. Nothing will change.

Freo by 4-6 if we play well, 8-10 if we don't.

I surprised by your lack of positiveness towards this game Ant:(

We have to be positive,our boys are fired up for this one there is alot at stake today and not just another win or loss, we win we will move to second spot and can virtually give our selves a top four finish the double chance in the finals!!!!

Burns has got to play a blinder I forgot to mention that in my last post he could be the key;)

Originally posted by maccas_no1
I surprised by your lack of positiveness towards this game Ant:(
No surprises there. Ant is always pessimistic.:(

Ant, I think you will be pleased to know that Hentschel will spend a lot of time on the ground. :p I'll be happy if he kicks a couple. One of the rookies has to play really well for us to win. :(

Hey look, if I was close to the team or a cheerquad member, sure I'd be more optimistic, try and pump the boys up. but for the pruposes of this footy forum, I'm being REALISTIC. This isn't the ant talking down the possibility of a Crows' win when we're favourites, with everything pointing to a victory.

We have very little chance, sad to say. Every little thing will need to go right for us to win, Freo will need to be off the boil, we need HUGE game from Macca and Roo, while someone up forward will need to have an absolute blinder. I can't see any of this happening as Freo seem to be absolutely pumped for this match, their season is on the line.

We can all wax lyrical about how we can win, but the writing is on the wall. And no one will be more crushed and disappointed come the conclusion of today's match than myself, trust me.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18

Ant, I think you will be pleased to know that Hentschel will spend a lot of time on the ground. :p I'll be happy if he kicks a couple. One of the rookies has to play really well for us to win. :(

Is that right Stiffy? Well if he does, we're even more screwed than I thought :p

True, I think we'll need one of them to have some sort of an impact on the game to get within 4-5. And it will be a good experience for them I guess, hopefully they take the opportunity by the scruff of the neck.

Still reckon we can win this.

Sarge - CHF
Hentschel - Pocket, actually a HF flank would be better
Rutten, Roo, Biglands - FF

Leave kenny at CHB

Good luck to Ben and Trent!

Originally posted by ant
True, I think we'll need one of them to have some sort of an impact on the game to get within 4-5. And it will be a good experience for them I guess, hopefully they take the opportunity by the scruff of the neck.
C'mon ant, you cannot be serious. We were just as badly underdone (if not more) against Lions and we lost by 18 points. A margin that flattered Lions in the end. Freo are a very good side, especially at home but it will not be a blowout like you are predicting. If we do lose it will not be by more than 3 goals IMHO.

We have played and won with more injuries. If Perrie can play the sort of game he played against Geelong or Brisbane and we can find someone to kick 4-5 goals, and there are plenty of candidates, we should win. ;)

I am more optimistic than confident with this game but I am not writing us off. We will give it a crack and see what happens. If we can get on top in the midfield and someone steps up and kicks 4-5 goals than we are just about home IMHO.

Perrie, Burns, Burton, Roo, Johncock, McLeod, Edwards, Ladhams etc are all capable of kicking a bag on their day.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey, Welsh, Massie - OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back