News Carlton’s 2019 clash jumper fiasco

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of 2019, Nike's deal runs out, so unless Carlton scrap that, we're still with them.

Nike: **** it, we're on our way out, we may as well dress our last and only AFL team as the Nike Oranges.

Going out with no ****s given.

I'd imagine the Carlton clash won't be too different than its current iteration for a couple reasons:

Carlton, while seemingly getting a bit of special treatment with the AFL's rules of 1 jumper/2 years, they generally keep the same idea for around 2 years, I'd say that's probably because even though their away kit is stylized differently pretty often, it's still the same idea, and possibly because it's Nike.
Carlton's worst iteration (imo) is the swooping shield that it had in 2013, which went away from the front in 2014 (maybe the AFL thought there was too much navy, which there was) then inexplicably reappeared in 2015, albeit with the new/old monogram, then in 2016 revert back to its 2014 state... what was going on there??

2017/18 is a little less strange since it's still the same jumper, with a recolour and sans the grey markings. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the 2019 strip will more-or-less the same as 2018 but with orange side-streaks instead of navy? (if the rumor is to be believed, which I'm inclined to)
It could be another nike-esque pattern, but I doubt it'd be the same as 2017 as their patterns rarely stick around more than a year.

Anyway, I really like that Carlton and Nike are experimenting with soccer style redesigns on a yearly basis, I'm all for it and actually hope they take more risks, as long as the monogram is still center-stage.

Here's some Nike away patterns from this forthcoming World Cup I could see working with Carlton.
portugal-2018-world-cup-away-kit-2.jpg

brazil-2018-world-cup-away-kit-2.jpg

poland-2018-world-cup-home-away-kits-2.jpg
The collar almost looks like ISC old one

actually made a mistake

i prefer the white cfc monogram on it like the m n m jumper
The m&m jumper was better than many of our clashes. Solid blue background with our usual white monogram and no annoying side panels, number panels etc... - if we have to move away from navy it's not a bad way to go. I'd be happy for them to go back to it.

Here's the list of caps used:
Essendon (Navy), Geelong (Red), Richmond (Black; Yellow and Black); South (Navy and White; Red and White), Footscray (Red)
And St Kilda used a white handkerchief to distinguish between them and Essendon.

Carlton have not worn an orange cap previously. Though I think I've seen training pics of orange caps.

Actually, there may have been a time when Carlton had orange on their caps, if this 1926 article is correct.

"At the beginning of 1864 the Emerald Hill, Royal Park, and Carlton clubs
were formed, and a little later Brunswick, Collingwood, and Williamstown came into being, followed by The Warehousemen and The University. Colours, which had been nondescript, became more regular, the guernseys were still of varied hue, but Melbourne wore blue caps, Carlton an orange cap and blue band, and Geelong wore red."

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3807742

Yes, Carlton are to have orange introduced to their clash guernsey for 2019. From what I've heard, orange was the second choice of colour. Whispers that I heard was that it would have been green like the umpires tops.
Clash guernsey won't be fully orange, most likely used as an outline colour around the monogram

Yes, it's a really weird design idea for the club but I feel as though Nike is the one of the front foot here trying new things for the club, which to be honest isn't working at all and will lead to Carlton signing with a new manufacturer for 2020

Yes, Carlton are to have orange introduced to their clash guernsey for 2019. From what I've heard, orange was the second choice of colour. Whispers that I heard was that it would have been green like the umpires tops.
Clash guernsey won't be fully orange, most likely used as an outline colour around the monogram

Yes, it's a really weird design idea for the club but I feel as though Nike is the one of the front foot here trying new things for the club, which to be honest isn't working at all and will lead to Carlton signing with a new manufacturer for 2020
Just spitballing with these ones really. In all honesty I dont mind the second one with the navy monogram and the white outline. I dunno what Carlton fans think? I do understand that the navy is sacred and I respect that but do think the navy on navy, or as Ive christened it 'Midnight', would be good for a one off or pre season maybe?
2019 carlton pres upload.png

Just spitballing with these ones really. In all honesty I dont mind the second one with the navy monogram and the white outline. I dunno what Carlton fans think? I do understand that the navy is sacred and I respect that but do think the navy on navy, or as Ive christened it 'Midnight', would be good for a one off or pre season maybe?
View attachment 491463
The second one will definitely piss all of us off. No one will buy it, no one will like it.

On a clash jumper, sure. Not the home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The second one will definitely piss all of us off. No one will buy it, no one will like it.

On a clash jumper, sure. Not the home.

Have you guys started hitting the club about this?

I'd definitely be starting a "stop ****ing with our jumper" campaign

Have you guys started hitting the club about this?

I'd definitely be starting a "stop ******* with our jumper" campaign
I think the ol' timers care more about our on-field woes first and foremost, and I'm not sure that'll gain too much traction because we're so poor right now.

I think the ol' timers care more about our on-field woes first and foremost, and I'm not sure that'll gain too much traction because we're so poor right now.

Understand,but you can't control the onfield, but you can the off.

I seriously hate the.blues more than any other club, but this shit pisses me off. Can't believe you guys ain't breathing fire

Remove this Banner Ad

News Carlton’s 2019 clash jumper fiasco

Remove this Banner Ad

Back