Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What is Austin going to do now?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Suspect that what will happen is the introduction of extended future pick trading. There's no way we will consider shipping our 2026 picks but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we traded back into the first round of the draft or traded for an experienced player with our 2027 selection.

It's going to be interesting with future trading (League wide) of 2027 picks. They will likely be very devalued due to fear (probably rightly) about the Tassie concessions.
I'd be wary of trading out of the 1st round 2027 because we might need it to cover a deficit (ie actually be allowed to match a Cody bid).

Unfortunately, I think Essendon have stolen from Melbourne. This is absurd. I hope I'm wrong, but on the surface and initial reaction says Melbourne got bent over. Thoughts?
Melbourne wanted 9.
They weren't forced to trade, and they have a history of trading up to get who they want.
For all their recent problems, the draft hasn't been one of them.

Adam Cooney reckons if Bailey Smith goes to the draft and St Kilda don't go for him with pick 8 ... Dees want a forward so Carlton may go for him with pick 12. Would Bailey's preference for Geelong be a problem?

Dunno bout you blokes, only I wouldn't mind watching Bailey Smith in a Carlton guernsey

Adam Cooney reckons if Bailey Smith goes to the draft and St Kilda don't go for him with pick 8 ... Dees want a forward so Carlton may go for him with pick 12. Would Bailey's preference for Geelong be a problem?

Dunno bout you blokes, only I wouldn't mind watching Bailey Smith in a Carlton guernsey
It's all posturing. A trade will get done

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have become emotionally attached to the idea of getting Pick 2/3 and anything else feels like a massive downgrade.

Bailey Smith fresh off an ACL is not a risk i'd be taking.

I have become emotionally attached to the idea of getting Pick 2/3 and anything else feels like a massive downgrade.

Bailey Smith fresh off an ACL is not a risk i'd be taking.
Reckon Bailey Smith is exactly what our midfield lacks.....

Of course, due the necessary due diligence, but the ACL shouldn't really be an issue.

salary cap might not like it - TDK or Smith might be the question?

It's going to be interesting with future trading (League wide) of 2027 picks. They will likely be very devalued due to fear (probably rightly) about the Tassie concessions.
I'd be wary of trading out of the 1st round 2027 because we might need it to cover a deficit (ie actually be allowed to match a Cody bid).
Thank heaven Cody Walker is not a year later. Imagine trying to match a top 3 bid with a “1st rounder” in the thirties.
Many Uppy AFL has so much inequity.

Edit: Come to think of it, we will have to rely on 2027 first to get the points

Thank heaven Cody Walker is not a year later. Imagine trying to match a top 3 bid with a “1st rounder” in the thirties.
Many Uppy AFL has so much inequity.
Yeah, if Tassie was a year later we'd be absolutely sweet.
I wonder if the AFL make any allowances about bid matching? They still haven't decided (at least not officially) on what the Tassie list build will look like.

Although I do think it won't be the same as it was for Suns and Giants. The AFL will be more inclined to get mature players there, rather than a stack of draftees.
And for the League, 1 club coming in will compromise the draft a lot less than 2 in successive years.

On that point, I think the AFL is really missing a trick by not expanding list sizes, even if only temporarily, prior to Tassie coming in.
Even if it were just 2 or 3 extra rookie spots, and limited to younger players (say 22 and under) outside the salary cap. You'd get maybe 100 more players with professional AFL experience in the country to boost the talent pool.

On that point, I think the AFL is really missing a trick by not expanding list sizes, even if only temporarily, prior to Tassie coming in.
Even if it were just 2 or 3 extra rookie spots, and limited to younger players (say 22 and under) outside the salary cap. You'd get maybe 100 more players with professional AFL experience in the country to boost the talent pool.
Great point. Teams are going to be mightily pissed off with tight lists, if Tassie can pick the eyes out of them.

Adds another layer to the Houston saga. What happens if Cowan is languishing in the twos prior to Tassie coming in? Was suggested to me earlier in the year that we were in the market to rookie young Tassie ruck Oliver Dean. Sounded strange until you think of him being three years in and Tassie needing a mature ruck to build around. Nice trade bait for a good pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great point. Teams are going to be mightily pissed off with tight lists, if Tassie can pick the eyes out of them.

Adds another layer to the Houston saga. What happens if Cowan is languishing in the twos prior to Tassie coming in?
Hopefully Cowan has a couple of medals and is locked in for life by the time Tassie come calling.

I'm floating 14 to Sydney if they're so eager to get up the draft.

Then float 12 and 19 to gc for 6, which would give them 12 13 19 23. Clubs would be falling over themselves, also helps with Rioli who aint worth pick 6.

Take 6 and 22.
Smillie and Datolli

Really doubt that a Tassie lad playing footy in Melbourne, part of a historical long established big club, would easily have a chang of mind.

If Cowan is any good they will offer him astronomical amounts of money. Just need to make sure he's not out of contract so we get maximum value out of him if he leaves.

A total of EIGHT picks are set to be involved, with Cal Twomey reporting the Bombers will give the Demons their prized Pick 9 in this year's draft as well as their third-round pick next year.

The Bombers will get six picks in return; picks 28, 40, 46, 54 and 65 this year as well as Melbourne's first-round pick next year.

A win for the Bombers, a win for the Demons or just a win-win? From the AFL website.

Unfortunately, I think Essendon have stolen from Melbourne. This is absurd. I hope I'm wrong, but on the surface and initial reaction says Melbourne got bent over. Thoughts?

Interested to see how deep Essendon cut going into the draft or what other moves they make before I'm inclined to agree here.

Isn't there a rule that states you can only enter the draft with as many picks as you have list spots?

If so having the points to match Kako is fantastic but what of the rest of their list?

Interested to see how deep Essendon cut going into the draft or what other moves they make before I'm inclined to agree here.

Isn't there a rule that states you can only enter the draft with as many picks as you have list spots?

If so having the points to match Kako is fantastic but what of the rest of their list?
Yep. Limited by primary list of 38, and overall of 42 (not inc. Cat-B).

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back