Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What is Austin going to do now?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been very critical of Austin for not being aggressive enough and moving the talent dial. Whether you are for or against the outcome of this trade period, for Carlton, at least, we pursued a defined objective to fill holes, get passed average or players surplus to needs and bring in generational talent. This compares favourably to the scatter gun approach of trading out top 10 picks for players and pinning our hopes on 2nd & 3rd round draftees There is always a chance of pick 3 not working, although unlikely. However at least Austin has swung the bat

Would the football manager have the sole say in appointing the coach though, from memory Licuria was involved as well.

And didn’t he beat out Adam Kingsley with Pyke pulling out during the process? Was Voss not short listed or did he not apply?
I think it was Graham Wright, Licuria and chief executive Mark Anderson.

Short list was McCrae, Voss, Kingsley (runner up for the roll) & Jaymie Graham.

I was genuinely asking what roll (if any) Wright would have with MC.

Thinking coming over with 2 SA boys who he'd have played a hell of a lot of footy with in the Campo twins will help significantly. I'm not stressed about it personally.
Moir as well.

Looking at what picks we can upgrade in the draft.

Pic 38 is the main one to upgrade.

Maybe we offer pick 68, 69 and 38 to Hawthorn for pick 31 and 77? Would that maybe get us out of that Ben Camporeale danger zone? Most likely be of no interest to Hawthorn unless they think the next wrung of players are much of a muchness and another 4th round pick could be useful.

The other one you could go for, assuming the draft falls the right way and we are still guaranteed one of our targets would be: Pick 3, 38 and maybe 60 for pick 6 and 24.

I have a feeling that the first few teams will be all after the same players thought so likely we stay with the picks we have.

Maybe we try and package a couple of our picks in the 60s for a slightly better pick.but that's probably about it.

I think we will be wanting to be really busy again next year. The theme will be very much along the lines of cleaning out all the second rate forwards and we will be after forwards and a key defender. I am glad we have a really early pick, it's going to put our list back in good shape, that and with some quality father sons the next few seasons we will be pretty handy for some time to come I feel.

You’d want (and get) more than 24 to slide 3 to 6, let alone throw anything else in.
Could ask for 23, 18 or even 11 but they would have to want to do that.

I think it only happens if picks one and two are not players on our list and if our list is long enough for a target of equal value to still be there at that pick. So we still get what we want and we gain a good pick upgrade.

I doubt we would consider moving back after spending so much to move up, but it would cost 18 at a minimum. We’d ask for 11.
Yeah I think Richmond's pick 6 is probably one pick too far back and that is if none of our targets go 1 and 2. I think we are in the top 3 for a reason. There are likely 3 maybe 4 players we view equally as important gets.

Adelaide and Melbourne can't help us with other picks.

You could try and strike a 3 club trade.

Carlton 3 to Melbourne
Melbourne 9 to Richmond
Richmond 11 to Melbourne
Carlton 38 to Richmond
Richmond 24 to Carlton

Carlton lose 3 and 38. Gain 5 and 24
Melbourne lose 5 and 9. Gain 3 and 11.
Richmond lose 11 and 24. Gain 9 and 38

Yeah I think Richmond's pick 6 is probably one pick too far back and that is if none of our targets go 1 and 2. I think we are in the top 3 for a reason. There are likely 3 maybe 4 players we view equally as important gets.

Adelaide and Melbourne can't help us with other picks.

You could try and strike a 3 club trade.

Carlton 3 to Melbourne
Melbourne 9 to Richmond
Richmond 11 to Melbourne
Carlton 38 to Richmond
Richmond 24 to Carlton

Carlton lose 3 and 38. Gain 5 and 24
Melbourne lose 5 and 9. Gain 3 and 11.
Richmond lose 11 and 24. Gain 9 and 38
That's not bad.

Reeaaallllly depends on who we traded up to pick 3 for though. Getting pick 3 right is way more important than getting the upgrade from 38 to 24 (as desirable as that is).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean they currently have 8 picks in what will wind up being the top 25 or so of the draft, I get that they just opened up 8 list spots, but they may have an eye to grab a little experience through the DFA and SPSS period.

Under those circumstances, a trade up like I'm describing may help them better trade out in the second round.

Looking forward to seeing how this draft order shakes out, but I have a nagging feeling we really could have had a combo like Hotton and Hynes with what we already had.

Youd have to think they'd move a couple of them into future 1sts wouldnt you? :think:

If you were ever going to hold all 8 and use them, this is the draft.

More thinking in terms of balance. Dont want to draft 8 players in a very good draft then have them all coming off contract in the same year at the same time. I would suggest the smart move is to move a couple forward to next year. Even holding some currency for some trades to add to the young talent etc might suit them better

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back