Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had our share of players that have struggled to get their hands on the ball so Ben would address that to some degree.
The hurt factor does seem to be held against him, however as he's neither particularly explosive nor likely to open up an opponent via foot.
It's not to say that he won't be a valuable contributor but there are players with higher ceilings, meanwhile Ben would probably have a higher floor than some.
If it results in us being able to secure two first-round calibre contributors, we're laughing.

Ben looks and plays NOTHING like his father (and his father is exactly what we need)…

Another accumulating mid that is not a great kick, not quick, did I mention not a great kick.

If he’s top 10, then the draft is very thin this year, just saying…

Ben looks and plays NOTHING like his father (and his father is exactly what we need)…

Another accumulating mid that is not a great kick, not quick, did I mention not a great kick.

I don't believe that he is a top-10 pick, I was highlighting why he wasn't despite solid form against his peers.
He offers more run than George and Kennedy and from admittedly limited viewing, seems to work both ways, this is handy to add to a reasonably bare cupboard in terms of midfield prospects.

BY the descriptiond Ben Camporeale will not move the dial on our list.
We need punch from stoppage or great footskills.
A great list manager would try to trade some players out and replace them with the above attributes

Smart ball users are much more of a need than pure speed
We need both jeez, after watching our guys continually fumble and put handballs to the ground some one-touch players through the middle would be nice.
That along with improvement in footspeed over the likes of George & Kennedy would make a significant improvement to our play.
I'm hoping Ben and other acquisitions can help in this space, even if they aren't world-beaters.

Imo Ben will not make into top 15 calculations. Lack of footskills historically tanks draft stocks.

That's not to say he's not one of the top 10 performers in the draft, he's a fantastic defensive ball winner, I just think recruiters will rank him lower due to his kicking.

Think we'll aim to trade our pick for a mature player or trade ahead of Bens bid, would love O'Sullivan to continue his poor start to the season and slip to around 10 on boards but unlikely.

Ben Walsh Cerra O'Sullivan Wilson would be a thing of beauty for the future and much more in line with modern midfields
Can’t believe we are getting a campo who can’t kick. Just our luck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe we are getting a campo who can’t kick. Just our luck
IMO it's not that he can't kick. He's got a slightly unusual technique & he's not going to be hitting many high-difficulty passes.
He seems to know his limitations and play within them though so he ends up with a reasonable DE.
I'll take that over someone burning it consistently.

There's a decent chance they'll develop further in terms of pace off the mark, but worst case scenario we've got replacements for Docherty and Newman in how we like to currently structure.

Pace can still be drafted and recruited, including Duffy (albeit returning from an ACL injury).

Looks like more of the same from them which is positive. They are AFL players no doubt. I see them being consistent contributors who finish in or around the John Nicholls top ten most years once they hit their stride.

Looks like more of the same from them which is positive. They are AFL players no doubt. I see them being consistent contributors who finish in or around the John Nicholls top ten most years once they hit their stride.
I think people are looking too hard at what they don't do rather than them being in the bests no matter who they play. Happier to look at flashier players who are more inconsistent.

Drew was a player like this in his draft year.

I think people are looking too hard at what they don't do rather than them being in the bests no matter who they play. Happier to look at flashier players who are more inconsistent.

Drew was a player like this in his draft year.

Yeah that's true. They are a mile better as under 18 prospects then any father son we have had in the last 25 years. Plenty to work with.

Watched bits and pieces of the game, my first real look at the campo lads.

Ben: smart player, hard worker, good decision maker, excellent hands. Kicking is slightly unorthodox and looks suspect on the run/under pressure.

Lucas: real solid link in the chain type player, moves the ball quickly and effectively without really “wowing”.

Both worked exceptionally hard and know how to find the footy. Both could improve their hurt factor when they’ve got it. Both are certainly worthy of spots on the list

Watched bits and pieces of the game, my first real look at the campo lads.

Ben: smart player, hard worker, good decision maker, excellent hands. Kicking is slightly unorthodox and looks suspect on the run/under pressure.

Lucas: real solid link in the chain type player, moves the ball quickly and effectively without really “wowing”.

Both worked exceptionally hard and know how to find the footy. Both could improve their hurt factor when they’ve got it. Both are certainly worthy of spots on the list

I feel like Lucas has the potential to be more damaging with his kicking. I have seen him really punch the ball with penetration at times but seems to take the safe option mostly. Might be a confidence thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back