Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading through some older AFLW U18s match reports and found a small snippet on Sunny Lappin (playing as an under-ager for Queensland):

Sunny Lappin, a father-daughter prospect to Carlton or St Kilda in the 2025 draft, was a handy target inside 50 for Queensland with two goals. Impressively, she proved an ability to play as a marking key forward, and also showed off her quick-thinking, roving skills on the deck.

Reading through some older AFLW U18s match reports and found a small snippet on Sunny Lappin (playing as an under-ager for Queensland):

Sophie McKay this year, Sunny Lappin next year, works for me.

That Academy stuff is completely wild. You'd be furious if you were Melbourne or whoever missed out on Academy players for two years just for them to revert back.
Swings and roundabouts. They missed Mac Andrew but got Van Rooyen and Howes with a late first and late 2nd which they probably would have had to use to get Mac Andrew.

It is a bit amateur hour though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the NGA change, how does Gresham actually rate next yr? Is he decent?
Haven’t watched him.

Underager and a midget by listing 168cm, has probably grown since that was taken.

The extrapolation is, has players 11 Coates Talent League games as an underager this year. Someone sure rates him.

Edit: A bit of research. July 3, he was named in CTL Team of the week. 25 disposals 5 marks, 5 tackles as an underager, admittedly U18 Carnival was on so some prominent players missing.

Last edited:
Haven’t watched him.

Underager and a midget by listing 168cm, has probably grown since that was taken.

The extrapolation is, has players 11 Coates Talent League games as an underager this year. Someone sure rates him.
Height doesn't bother me too much. Small forwards that small seem to be getting free kicks whenever they get tackled these days so it could even be a bonus. Just watch Hawhtorns midget forwardline, any time there's a contest somone is getting a high free kick.

Is there any basis for this rationale?
Remember when the AFL desperately wanted to give The Suns priority picks, but couldn't because we finished below them? i.e.: we needed the picks more. Next year as soon as they finished below us, "Hello Izak, Jack, and Ben!".

That's just the most recent example.

Remember when the AFL desperately wanted to give The Suns priority picks, but couldn't because we finished below them? i.e.: we needed the picks more. Next year as soon as they finished below us, "Hello Izak, Jack, and Ben!".

That's just the most recent example.
To each their own but I don't see that as targeting Carlton, more propping up GCS.
IIRC other clubs were pushing back on priority picks for our club too, as it was thought we'd scrapped our list for parts & then were seeking freebies when some didn't come on, or as quickly as intended.
Either way, I don't see anything to suggest systematic ripping off of our club though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back