Meltdown Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunderland didn't win it mate. Liverpool were actually lucky enough to win that 1992 FA Cup though. They barely scraped past a load of teams from outside the top flight that year.

This ain't the english premier league though. In AFL you have to win the grand final to prove your worth.

It's not just the flags mate. We're older than you, we have more class and sophistication than you, and we have a nicer guernsey as well.;)
Sorry, my mistake. SUNDERLAND a 3rd division side in 1973 beat LEEDS United a 1st division side,
not LIVERPOOL . WIGAN ATHLETIC beat MAN CITY in 2012-13. As I said one off games often requires the winner to be very lucky on the day. It is not the best way to determine the best side in any given year. A full season of games is a much better indicator.

I don't think we will win the premiership this year as a form drop and injuries have hit at the worst possible time but to me it has been the best season following the Pies in my 60 odd years.

In 1981, we suffered a similar fate. Peter Moore was close to being the best player in the League at the time and did his hamstring in the finals and could barely move in the GF with the result his opponent, a dud whose name I can't quite remember became one of Carlton's best players along with Mike FITZPATRICK in the ruck who dominated the dud ruck we had to play in Moore's place.

As I said the PREMIERSHIP often goes to the luckiest side

There's no need to go back and fact check. All of the breaches were investigated, catalogued and punished and...

checks notes

1995 was NOT one of them.

Case closed.
No they were not all investigated.

I knew a 3 time Carlton Premiership player in the 1990's. The company I worked for did Business with his. He said to me in 1993 'If the AFL ever finds out what Jack has been up to we are f...d' The last word in that sentence may give you a clue to the players' name.

A friend of mine also knew Jezza and he said the same thing. What they were alluding to was that players were being paid outside the salary caps with brown paper bags, something JOH JELKE PETERSEN would have been proud of. It had been happening at Carlton for years.

Yes they did get punished and copped their hit, but let's not pretend it didn't happen.

Maybe COLLINGWOOD cheated as well though there is no evidence that has been presented, although it wouldn't surprise

No they were not all investigated.

I knew a 3 time Carlton Premiership player in the 1990's. The company I worked for did Business with his. He said to me in 1993 'If the AFL ever finds out what Jack has been up to we are f...d' The last word in that sentence may give you a clue to the players' name.

A friend of mine also knew Jezza and he said the same thing. What they were alluding to was that players were being paid outside the salary caps with brown paper bags, something JOH JELKE PETERSEN would have been proud of. It had been happening at Carlton for years.

Yes they did get punished and copped their hit, but let's not pretend it didn't happen.

Maybe COLLINGWOOD cheated as well though there is no evidence that has been presented, although it wouldn't surprise
We've all got that friend of a friend who have said some stuff from the past. I've had conversations with a former Collingwood player from the 80/90s era that would blow you away , but you know what , it's all heresay. Like you said , it probably occurred at every club.
Didn't the AFL give every club the opportunity to fess up at one point in time with no penalties to be applied , and Carlton decided not to say anything, hence when they got busted in 2001 they threw the book at them with the extraordinary penalties. Set them back 20 years.

Sorry, my mistake. SUNDERLAND a 3rd division side in 1973 beat LEEDS United a 1st division side,
not LIVERPOOL . WIGAN ATHLETIC beat MAN CITY in 2012-13. As I said one off games often requires the winner to be very lucky on the day. It is not the best way to determine the best side in any given year. A full season of games is a much better indicator.

I don't think we will win the premiership this year as a form drop and injuries have hit at the worst possible time but to me it has been the best season following the Pies in my 60 odd years.

In 1981, we suffered a similar fate. Peter Moore was close to being the best player in the League at the time and did his hamstring in the finals and could barely move in the GF with the result his opponent, a dud whose name I can't quite remember became one of Carlton's best players along with Mike FITZPATRICK in the ruck who dominated the dud ruck we had to play in Moore's place.

As I said the PREMIERSHIP often goes to the luckiest side
Very true mate. You do need that bit of luck to win the flag as well. The luckiest and the best team wins the flag every year imo.

Very true mate. You do need that bit of luck to win the flag as well. The luckiest and the best team wins the flag every year imo.
Nah, the best team doesnā€™t win the flag every year.

Youā€™ve only got to go back to 2018, Richmond had an off night in the PF against the Pies and we made them pay. Richmond were the best team in it though, hence there premiership success in 17,19,20.

To be fair, 11th looked like a miracle 2 months ago.
I didn't factor in the following:
  • Dissentgate against GWS earlier in the season;
  • fingertipgate against Melbourne;
  • Port resting half their team against them in preparation for their big Collingwood clash the following week;
  • double up against West Coast with +200 point differential.

• Port resting half their team against them in preparation for their big Collingwood clash the following week;
Or the last game against Collingwood.......
Oh wait , free kick Curnow game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must be stiff, 3 years in a row where your predictions of Carlton have been wrong

Epic fail

Combined with the fact Collingwood had already locked away their position in the top 4, so a meaningless game for them.

Carlton really have had a charmed run, haven't they...
Yes , most charmed run ever. Unfortunately for everyone else , the charm run continues next week

Is that right?

I hadn't even realised Carlton qualified for finals, as I don't take notice of any teams that finish outside the top 4.

I guess someone needs to make up the numbers...
Maybe you should take notice. You might end up playing against one of those sides in a couple of weeks

We might, and we might not.

The match that will decide this year's premier is the Collingwood v. Melbourne Qualifying Final.

Too hard a road for the loser of that match to regroup and win a flag.
I think the match that decides the premier is the Grand Final. You Collingwood flogs wish it was a Qualifying Final in the first week of finals, but it isn't.

Is that right?

I hadn't even realised Carlton qualified for finals, as I don't take notice of any teams that finish outside the top 4.

I guess someone needs to make up the numbers...
Lol you don't take any notice of Carlton, we're inside your head big time.

Nah, the best team doesnā€™t win the flag every year.

Youā€™ve only got to go back to 2018, Richmond had an off night in the PF against the Pies and we made them pay. Richmond were the best team in it though, hence there premiership success in 17,19,20.
The Eagles could very well have beaten Richmond that year as well imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Meltdown Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back