Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from FC by Mick, word by word

"I think if we have another year like we did last year, recruiting wise. And the boys stand up, and I'm talking about injuries and that sort of stuff, then we'll have a very good football club. We'll have that side that can challenge those top 4 (Hawthorn, Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide)."

Yes he did, well, in the space of the next 2 years WITHOUT going through a rebuild.

Thought he said that the rebuild had started with recruiting last season and it will continue. He also said he has high expectations and high confidence in his players because otherwise he'd lose them.

Pretty impressed with his modus operandi, especially shutting down Lloyd.

Thought he said that the rebuild had started with recruiting last season and it will continue. He also said he has high expectations and high confidence in his players because otherwise he'd lose them.

Pretty impressed with his modus operandi, especially shutting down Lloyd.
Uhhh, well, you can believe that the "rebuild" started last season, because you still have one of the oldest list in the comp (off the top of my head).

Yeah he did say that, but he also added the disclaimer that he has to believe that as the coach. Which is fine, I completely agree, as a coach you have to go in the week with the confidence that your team can win, whether your 16th on the ladder or 1st. And Lloyd agreed with that.

But that's different to planning your list ahead of just this season, and moreso to further and beyond. The big question from that interview is, does Carlton need to go into rebuild mode? And do Carlton need to admit that?

Because atm, you're just going to get absolutely hounded by opposition supporters and the media, if you continue to say "we are a chance" yet put out performances like the past 2 weeks.

And, I don't think he shut down Lloyd at all. That was actually one of the sillier things Mick did, because Lloyd hadn't even started to ask his question before Mick went on the defensive. Thought it was quite poor, take it from a neutral point of view.

I thought Mick shut down Hutchy pretty nicely though. The best he handled a question in that whole interview, where Hutchy stupidly asked him if he was "coaching for the wrong reasons" and Mick basically replied; mate, I got no ****ing idea what you're on about.

Some of the questions that were asked in FC were ridiculous and stupid.

However Mick is just not good in the media. He has too much pride and dances around the questions too much, it takes him about 3-4 minutes too long to answer a simple question, by going on some tangent.

IMO, either Mick is too proud to say "Carlton need to rebuild now" or he's trying to instill a positive energy to the supporters. Because, for those who missed it, Mick basically said, that you can still compete against the top 4.

He did not say that! He said there was a gap between top 4 and the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did not say that! He said there was a gap between top 4 and the rest

"I think if we have another year like we did last year, recruiting wise. And the boys stand up, and I'm talking about injuries and that sort of stuff, then we'll have a very good football club. We'll have that side that can challenge those top 4 (Hawthorn, Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide)."

Uhhh, well, you can believe that the "rebuild" started last season, because you still have one of the oldest list in the comp (off the top of my head).

Yeah he did say that, but he also added the disclaimer that he has to believe that as the coach. Which is fine, I completely agree, as a coach you have to go in the week with the confidence that your team can win, whether your 16th on the ladder or 1st. And Lloyd agreed with that.

But that's different to planning your list ahead of just this season, and moreso to further and beyond. The big question from that interview is, does Carlton need to go into rebuild mode? And do Carlton need to admit that?

Because atm, you're just going to get absolutely hounded by opposition supporters and the media, if you continue to say "we are a chance" yet put out performances like the past 2 weeks.

And, I don't think he shut down Lloyd at all. That was actually one of the sillier things Mick did, because Lloyd hadn't even started to ask his question before Mick went on the defensive. Thought it was quite poor, take it from a neutral point of view.

I thought Mick shut down Hutchy pretty nicely though. The best he handled a question in that whole interview, where Hutchy stupidly asked him if he was "coaching for the wrong reasons" and Mick basically replied; mate, I got no ******* idea what you're on about.

Means little since it only takes one off-season to down the rankings.

However Mick is just not good in the media. He has too much pride and dances around the questions too much, it takes him about 3-4 minutes too long to answer a simple question, by going on some tangent.

IMO, either Mick is too proud to say "Carlton need to rebuild now" or he's trying to instill a positive energy to the supporters. Because, for those who missed it, Mick basically said, that you can still compete against the top 4.

You said it as if it was for this year which is NOT what I heard.

He mentioned a couple of times that there is a gap between top 4 and the rest of the comp.

You said it as if it was for this year which is NOT what I heard.

He mentioned a couple of times that there is a gap between top 4 and the rest of the comp.
Fair enough.
Why is there a need to explicitly say "we're rebuilding"?

As a supporter, do you know we're you are heading as a football club?

What's the plan for this season? Because it ain't a premiership (unless you still believe you can compete).

What's the plan for next season?

These are important for not only to give the supporters some closure, which I've heard the Carlton FC are regulars in "lying" to gain membership (from the media), to give the players a sense of direction, stability and know that things are/will be heading in the right direction.

And also a way out, because atm, your club is and will be constantly compared to the comments made by Mick or whoever, that this season you are aiming for the premiership.

Fair enough.

What's the plan for this season? Because it ain't a premiership (unless you still believe you can compete).

These are important for not only to give the supporters some closure, which I've heard the Carlton FC are regulars in "lying" to gain membership (from the media), to give the players a sense of direction, stability and know that things are/will be heading in the right direction.

And also a way out, because atm, your club is and will be constantly compared to the comments made by Mick or whoever, that this season you are aiming for the premiership.

This is a media thread NOT a list management thread and I can see right through your transparent subtle trolling.

Move on or I will do it for you!

This is a media thread NOT a list management thread and I can see right through your transparent subtle trolling.

Move on or I will do it for you!

He asked me a question and I answered. No trolling, but believe that if you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.

Yes I know where my club is heading. For the first time in ages, I see us heading to a long-term, sustainable competitive path. At the same time I'm realistic on where it's at. When I see a 25% list turnover, I don't need to hear we're rebuilding. I want to see a club not putting limits on itself and trying to win every game possible, building a formidable list without bottoming out.

i think mick intentionally danced around the questions and answered his own before the panelists in order to lead them down a different path to take the focus away from the questions being asked of him.

i think he did a very good job of this because it enabled him to protect his players and stand strong in the face of the heat coming his and the clubs direction.

i do however think that a lot of the answers he gave would be very different to the answers he would give to the clubs hierarchy behind closed doors but there is no way he could intimate to the footballing public and more importantly its passionate supporters that there are list issues that need fixing.

well played MM

Last edited:
Gee I laughed when Mafew Lloyd asked Mick his first question.
He said he would ask Mick a question based on fact, took a breath, and then offered his opinion as fact. This guy couldn't be a bigger syd if he tried.
And when he was asking it - boy oh boy did he look like a frightened little school boy. Epic FLOG!

Gee I laughed when Mafew Lloyd asked Mick his first question.
He said he would ask Mick a question based on fact, took a breath, and then offered his opinion as fact. This guy couldn't be a bigger syd if he tried.
And when he was asking it - boy oh boy did he look like a frightened little school boy. Epic FLOG!

He was trembling and at first couldn't get any words out! :D

ML: Please Mick, please Mick, can I ask my question...?

MM: No, i'll answer what you should be asking.

Nicely played. I'm feeling much better about the weekend from Mick's demeanor on FC. It's easy to get caught up in one month of football (ask any Collingwood supporter in June) and forget about the bigger picture.

Jeez that Henderson/Simmo presser was rubbish.

How many times did Hendo wanna say "Trying to put things in place"

Find it strange how so many on here are having a go at the Footy Classified journos. We are not happy where the club is so want answers. Whilst Llyod was obviously nervous the others tried to get Malthous to give some straight answers. The way it looked to me instead of being open he was just trying to protect himself and put a spin on things. Also concerns me that he admits the main issue is confidence but then says that no one he knows has the answers to how to bring consistent confidence. Obviously the leaders at Port Adelaide and Darren Lehman with the Australian cricket team have an idea as they have turned poor confidence around very quickly. Seems like Mick's own confidence is more front than actual confidence which may be one reason he is not able to have Carlton playing with confidence. For what it is worth I haven't felt that we have played with composure for many years and have been a front runner team. Surely confidence comes from going really deep to build strong foundations built on discipline and integrity. Mick may be able to bring this to the club but first he must look to be honest with his own flaws.

Find it strange how so many on here are having a go at the Footy Classified journos. We are not happy where the club is so want answers. Whilst Llyod was obviously nervous the others tried to get Malthous to give some straight answers. The way it looked to me instead of being open he was just trying to protect himself and put a spin on things. Also concerns me that he admits the main issue is confidence but then says that no one he knows has the answers to how to bring consistent confidence. Obviously the leaders at Port Adelaide and Darren Lehman with the Australian cricket team have an idea as they have turned poor confidence around very quickly. Seems like Mick's own confidence is more front than actual confidence which may be one reason he is not able to have Carlton playing with confidence. For what it is worth I haven't felt that we have played with composure for many years and have been a front runner team. Surely confidence comes from going really deep to build strong foundations built on discipline and integrity. Mick may be able to bring this to the club but first he must look to be honest with his own flaws.

Port and Aussie cricket team didn't get confidence because of what ken and Lehman said. They got confidence from winning!

We couldn't kick goals (easy ones) to save our lives this past month, which compounds itself when we get scored on the other way.

Port and Aussie cricket team didn't get confidence because of what ken and Lehman said. They got confidence from winning!

We couldn't kick goals (easy ones) to save our lives this past month, which compounds itself when we get scored on the other way.

Chicken and the egg debate. Real confidence is an inner thing wheras confidence from results is not so secure. I would suggest that Port and the Aussie cricket team changed their results by laying a very different foundation based on depth and authenticity. These are things that have been lacking at Carlton for many years. We have been run with a quick fix mentality that has seen play like a biplor football team.

Chicken and the egg debate. Real confidence is an inner thing wheras confidence from results is not so secure. I would suggest that Port and the Aussie cricket team changed their results by laying a very different foundation based on depth and authenticity. These are things that have been lacking at Carlton for many years. We have been run with a quick fix mentality that has seen play like a biplor football team.

Gotta start somewhere, and having Mick goes a long way to building that foundation. Unless there's a better alternative available out there?

Just watched the Footy Classified interview. Bit meh, but worth it to see subtle jabs at Caro and Hutchy and to see Lloyd look terrified as he's asking a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back