Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Malthouse wasn't terrible for the club after all. Don't know if you've convinced anyone else of that, but sounds like you've managed to convince yourself

He wasn't good but he wasn't as bad as people make out. It's very easy to blame who is in charge whether it be football or a corporation or what ever without an analytical view. I think a lot of good actually came from Malthouse's time at Carlton, I think a lot of players whose hearts and effort weren't in it, despite being talented, were weeded out. We finished last last season because we lost some talented players previously, most of whom we relied on to kick a score but went to other clubs, from their departure we are now enjoying the benefits of a cultural change. We also finished last due to having a lot of good players miss too many games and a few players who were mentally checked out. We made finals in 2013 and won our first final under Malthouse and that dreaded game plan which proves there was more to it than that for last years efforts.

Our resurgence is from having a really healthy list and best 22, having some fresh and really good players brought into the club, having stability, that cultural change I keep talking about and being really well coached. We would have been bottom 4 last season regardless of who was coaching. We have been handsomely rewarded for finishing last with Weitering who will be the best CHB in the game for a good 10 years. Also we are better off for not having Robinson, Betts, Garlett, Waite, Henderson, Menzel and Yarran. Guys who cause trouble off the field, who don't perform consistently, who don't train hard, who don't do the team things like chase and tackle hard and want to be elsewhere or chase money are toxic and even worse for a rebuilding team like our own. A top side can carry some of that but we can't carry any of it, we had to bottom out and I don't think Silvagni or Bolton would have had a bar of any of those players. The bottom out was always going to happen if we were to have a cultural change which we had to have to build a team that has what it takes to win a flag.

He wasn't good but he wasn't as bad as people make out. It's very easy to blame who is in charge whether it be football or a corporation or what ever without an analytical view. I think a lot of good actually came from Malthouse's time at Carlton, I think a lot of players whose hearts and effort weren't in it, despite being talented, were weeded out. We finished last last season because we lost some talented players previously, most of whom we relied on to kick a score but went to other clubs, from their departure we are now enjoying the benefits of a cultural change. We also finished last due to having a lot of good players miss too many games and a few players who were mentally checked out. We made finals in 2013 and won our first final under Malthouse and that dreaded game plan which proves there was more to it than that for last years efforts.

Our resurgence is from having a really healthy list and best 22, having some fresh and really good players brought into the club, having stability, that cultural change I keep talking about and being really well coached. We would have been bottom 4 last season regardless of who was coaching. We have been handsomely rewarded for finishing last with Weitering who will be the best CHB in the game for a good 10 years. Also we are better off for not having Robinson, Betts, Garlett, Waite, Henderson, Menzel and Yarran. Guys who cause trouble off the field, who don't perform consistently, who don't train hard, who don't do the team things like chase and tackle hard and want to be elsewhere or chase money are toxic and even worse for a rebuilding team like our own. A top side can carry some of that but we can't carry any of it, we had to bottom out and I don't think Silvagni or Bolton would have had a bar of any of those players. The bottom out was always going to happen if we were to have a cultural change which we had to have to build a team that has what it takes to win a flag.
We Bradbury'd finals in 2013 and then beat the bruise free Tigers, so no great achievement. Team only started playing decent football when they went back to the Ratten game plan.
He took a reasonable list and demoralized it with an antiquated game plan and poor list management.
When someone else comes in and turns it around in 5 games he blames injuries for the problem. No one was blaming injuries at the start of the year when it was supposed to be the worst Carlton list ever.

We Bradbury'd finals in 2013 and then beat the bruise free Tigers, so no great achievement. Team only started playing decent football when they went back to the Ratten game plan.
He took a reasonable list and demoralized it with an antiquated game plan and poor list management.
When someone else comes in and turns it around in 5 games he blames injuries for the problem. No one was blaming injuries at the start of the year when it was supposed to be the worst Carlton list ever.
Could be the Worst CFC list to ever make finals soon:eek:

Lots of factors involved, the coaching wasn't the only factor, I still think we would have bottomed out regardless because we needed to lose a lot of good players to change our culture. If you ignore us making finals and doing exactly as well as we did in 2012 under Ratten in 2013 and ignore the fact that we had plenty of our top players miss half or more of last season and had a few mentally not there and ignore our terrific recruiting and injury run this season then yes it's all the coaching. Brisbane Lions played a very similar game plan to us last weekend and we beat them easily.

End of the day it comes down to what cattle you have out on the field. Remover Gibbs, Kerridge, Sumner, Wright, Weitering, Kreuzer, Lamb, Armfield, Plowman and Thomas from that side and replace them with the likes of last years versions of Henderson, Yarran, Menzel, Holman, Tutt, Wood, Jamison, Buckley, Ellard and Bell etc and Brisbane would beat us.

Last edited:

And there's the great irony of Malthouse's time at Carlton - only because he failed so miserably in the end that the club had to have the necessary reset. But he deserves no credit for this - yes he did weed out a few talented, non performing players, but as head coach it was his job to instil confidence in the players and give them a game plan they could buy into. He did none of this, and the "culture" got worse because of and not despite him.

He wasn't to blame for all our problems, but he certainly made them worse.

Our list had peaked in 2011 anyway. If the club had been on the front foot, the rebuild would have started after 2012, with Ratten still at the helm. Malthouse was supposedly going to get from our list what Ratten couldn't. It is no coincidence that a big chunk of the list has gone in the 3 years since (remembering there was virtually no turnover at the end of 2012 due to contractural/quality restraints).

The biggest difference between our list circa 2016 & 2012-2015 is that the conditional players are pretty well all gone (that shirk by Garlett in that video in another thread, would not be tolerated by our 2016 coaches).

The only ex-player of ours still on an AFL list that I would want back is Betts & even he would have to change his ways to keep Bolts & co onside.

Our list had peaked in 2011 anyway. If the club had been on the front foot, the rebuild would have started after 2012, with Ratten still at the helm. Malthouse was supposedly going to get from our list what Ratten couldn't. It is no coincidence that a big chunk of the list has gone in the 3 years since (remembering there was virtually no turnover at the end of 2012 due to contractural/quality restraints).

The biggest difference between our list circa 2016 & 2012-2015 is that the conditional players are pretty well all gone (that shirk by Garlett in that video in another thread, would not be tolerated by our 2016 coaches).

The only ex-player of ours still on an AFL list that I would want back is Betts & even he would have to change his ways to keep Bolts & co onside.

Lets be honest, when the going got tough and the heat was really on, Betts would also go missing.
He obviously thrives in space and isnt so much for the hard stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how no-one questions the parentage, intentions or cerebral abilities of writers when it's a positive article - which they have all been lately.
Just gotta realise the media just do what the media does - kick you when you're down and sing you're praises when your doing ok. Nothing to get worked up about -

Except when it comes to Robbo - cant stand that twat

You've convinced me. #SakcBolts #InMickWeTrust #Process>Journey

great post, BM123 - just terrific, really nailed it :thumbsu:
I'll whack the writer - all they've done is check their champion data spreadsheet and written an article praising those with higher numbers. No analysis, barely any contextual knowledge and no mention of the question that would make it a good article: why?

If there's an editors job open, I'll take it Fox Footy. You're welcome.

How Carlton’s supposed list cloggers have become valuable contributors in 2016

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/how...6/news-story/60b6537e571cfadee135bbad5c99c7cb

Another endorsement for bolts, the systems and the reinvigoration.

I want to be a prick and pick through this positive article and identify the items I disagree with:
1. Andrew Walker A-Grader?
2. Sam Kerridge our most improved player? Nope. He's also had a couple of quiet games
3. Jed Lamb isn't the pick of the GWS boys
4. Injuries have only really hampered Phillips as we've seen enough of Sumner and Plowman to know their worth
5. Nick Graham hasn't really worked himself into the best 22. In fact I would say his pre-injury form last year was vastly superior to what he's outputted this year.

Still enjoyed the read, but sometimes you can tell straight away if the author is referring to stats or watching us play.

We made finals in 2013 and won our first final under Malthouse and that dreaded game plan which proves there was more to it than that for last years efforts.

Sorry, disagree.

We played good football in 2013 when we threw the game plan out the window and went back to what the players had learned for the previous few years. Run and gun, more chances through the corridor. How many times did we get 5 goals down in 2013 then start playing in a different way? Some of our best football was later in the season with the shackles off. We did the same in round 23 against Port then released the shackles again and played with less caution to win, then again in the Elimination Final. Just too conservative combined with terrible umpiring, then just threw caution to the wind and recovered another 5 goal start.

Mick's game plan was a confusing abomination with slow contested play, safety first boundary line tactics and one on one that made them look and feel slow on the rebound, and we only looked better when he let the players have their head of steam and do something different. If you remember early last year when we changed nothing up, how bad we looked. Players were second guessing how to turn things around because the game plan had now been instilled in them for 3 preseasons and switching back to that run and gun style was not as instinctive.

Barker got them back to a nice style of football against the Crows and Power mid season, but it was more about just letting them play footy, no punishment for mistakes, take the game on a little more and a little of that run and gun came back, rather than an instinctive return to the Ratten days.

We are trying to do the same running game plan this year but we are doing it with a zone defence and more work going into reaction times and quality readers of the play in the right spots. It is a simpler game plan, easier to be instinctive with it on field and has encouraged the players to work hard for each other because they can easily see the fruits of that hard work there and then.

Funny how no-one questions the parentage, intentions or cerebral abilities of writers when it's a positive article - which they have all been lately.

I question their motivation and their propensity to get on and off bandwagons. Very little critical thinking, more cashing in on moments. Lovely and fluffy to read when you are going okay, but they get very little credit from me for their bravery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back