Carlton looking for a Key Position Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Trengove from Port should fit in quite nicely. Still a risk but has potential. Picked up in the low twenties. We throw in Thornton along with Jocabs and it becomes a win win for both clubs.

Dirk

Bahahahahahaha....

How nice of you to throw in Thornton. Posts like this really just prove that some people really have no idea. Win win for both clubs....bahahahahahaha

DirkDiggler said:
We are chasing a KPP backman. Bock would be nice but will be severely overpriced based on previous form. Trengove from Port should fit in quite nicely. Still a risk but has potential. Picked up in the low twenties. We throw in Thornton along with Jocabs and it becomes a win win for both clubs.

Lol. Care to explain how that's a win for Port?

lol, people in melb have no idea what is going on outside their state. trengove for thornton and jacobs win win?? are we talking the trengove that was rated close to a top 5 pick in the draft but slipped because teams were worried if he could recover from an unusual injury. who after spending his 1st year recovering has stepped straight into our team and hasnt left since. hmm i bet there are heaps of 19yr old key position players growing on trees, why dont you give us a key defender, who isnt good enough for a team asking for a key defender, and a fringe ruckman.

no thanks we will keep him at port and you can keep you're own ignorance to yourself

Our 'fringe' ruckman will be your No.1 ruckman when Brogan is gone. Shit, he'd have the wood over brogan now...

Bahahahahahaha....

How nice of you to throw in Thornton. Posts like this really just prove that some people really have no idea. Win win for both clubs....bahahahahahaha

Don't value the value of a ruckman. Fair enough. Port showed interest in Jacobs last year and just like Melbourne real estate, his trade value has gone up considerably since. In recent years, we paid the price for not having decent rucks.

Well Port recruiters might as well start heading to the forest. According to posters like you ruckmen grow on trees.

Don't value the value of a ruckman. Fair enough. Port showed interest in Jacobs last year and just like Melbourne real estate, his trade value has gone up considerably since. In recent years, we paid the price for not having decent rucks.

Well Port recruiters might as well start heading to the forest. According to posters like you ruckmen grow on trees.

when did he say port adelaide dont value ruckmen?? show me, when did he say they grow on trees?? posters like you?? nice one. i already pointed out the stupidity of your post when you decided that jacobs and thornton are worth trengove, now you make stuff up and attack other posters rather than addressing your initial error. just own up and say, hey sorry i have seen bugger all of your games and didnt realise trengove has done so well, my bad.

Trengove is a marginally better ruckman than Jacobs. He's also a far better defender and forward then Jacobs. And lol at Thornton. I'd rather give you Trengove for free than have that spud on our list.

Trengove is a marginally better ruckman than Jacobs. He's also a far better defender and forward then Jacobs. And lol at Thornton. I'd rather give you Trengove for free than have that spud on our list.

DEAL!

We will keep Thornton for another two years on our list if you give us Trengove for free.

Seriously now, do you actually follow the game? Trengove will help out in the ruck to fill a void but is not a ruckman. To rate him ahead of Jacobs in the rucking department has rendered me speechless. If that was the case and you have a ready made ruckman, why were Port interested in Jacobs?

Anyway don't take my word for it, ask anyone connected to the club as to whether they view Trengove as a ruckman or KPP.

When a club is desperate for a player to play a a specilaist type role like ruck they generally pay over the odds and market forces kick in. Look at Carlton and the ridiculous price paid for McLean. Clubs arent as willing these days to sacrifice their early draft pick for a ruckman due to the risk of failure and length of their development cycle. Clubs will be chasing back up ruckmen with three to four year experience in them.

The reason why I picked Port for a trade is the fact we have what Port needs most contrary to what you believe. Jacobs and possibly a second/third rounder would be worthy of consideration

There's more to rucking than hit-outs. Mark Blake is a better tap ruckman than Matthew Kreuzer, but you'd take Kreuzer because of his work around the ground. That's also why Trengove is a better ruckman than Jacobs. Unlike Jacobs, he can play every other key position on the ground as well.

Carlton wouldn't get Trengove for anything less than someone like Bryce Gibbs. If you wouldn't offer that (and you wouldn't), give it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's more to rucking than hit-outs. Mark Blake is a better tap ruckman than Matthew Kreuzer, but you'd take Kreuzer because of his work around the ground. That's also why Trengove is a better ruckman than Jacobs. Unlike Jacobs, he can play every other key position on the ground as well.

Carlton wouldn't get Trengove for anything less than someone like Bryce Gibbs. If you wouldn't offer that (and you wouldn't), give it up.

Bret Thornton played in the ruck against fremantle because kreuz went down with his knee...
has also played back and forward... because of that he's worth a 1st rounder... :cool:

This is a classic example why these discussions are pointless with supporters over-rating their own, whilst no denyingTrengrove has some talent, he is still very much a unknown in his development and what role he may fufill, only a spare parts ruckman, has some promise up forward, but does not strike you as being more than a B grade CHF.

Jacobs will be a outstanding pick up for any club if he leaves Carlton, very similar to Mumford leaving Geelong to move to Sydney.
Whilst he may not be as athletic as Trengrove, he is a geninue ruckman who would be a fantastic pick for any team next year.
Right now to be reasonable in terms of trade valve Trengrove may be only very marginally in front of Jacobs,however it would not be surprising for teams like Hawthorn,StKilda, Adelaide & maybe one or two others rating Jacobs higher than Trengrove because he can fufil a definite role.

mac25 said:
Right now to be reasonable in terms of trade valve Trengrove may be only very marginally in front of Jacobs,however it would not be surprising for teams like Hawthorn,StKilda, Adelaide & maybe one or two others rating Jacobs higher than Trengrove

mac25 said:
This is a classic example why these discussions are pointless with supporters over-rating their own

Couldn't agree more.

Out of the Essendon players thrown up would probably only look at Pears as Hooker is more of a third tall in my eyes, Danniher is most likely to be a forward and Slattery is only a first year which effectively makes him untouchable unless he wants to leave.

I am curious as to whether Pears is a better defender for leading forwards or contested marking forwards as we need one of the latter not the former

No chance you'd get Pears his on the untouchable list with Hurley. Hooker 3rd tall, I don't think so. His played on players such as Riewoldt, Franklin, Mooney and Cloke (just off the top of my head) and has done a reasonably good on them. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him up as long as u could offer us reasonable compensation such as a first rounder or a gun midfielder.

Read the post I quoted, an Essendon supporter threw up the names, I responded.

Yeah I understand that and I did the exact same thing, you threw up a scenario I responded.

Just telling you that there's close to no chance of you getting Pears due to fact he is vertually untounchable. Also because you're first rounder won't be very high the only way you'd get us thinking is by offering up Murphy or Gibbs.

Yeah I understand that and I did the exact same thing, you threw up a scenario I responded.

Just telling you that there's close to no chance of you getting Pears due to fact he is vertually untounchable. Also because you're first rounder won't be very high the only way you'd get us thinking is by offering up Murphy or Gibbs.

Not going to happen, which I am sure you well know.

Delusional to think that Murph or Gibbs would get you thinking - and even more ironic coming from a poster called Brent Prismall.

Anyway, I think Carlton are looking for someone with more experience.

TBH I believe we need a KPF and a smart medium defender with good skills as our top priorities. An good KPD for cover would be useful but is not essential.

I am curious about the possibility of one of the flock of Adelaide young talls coming over.

Shaun Mckernan
Will Young
Ricky Henderson
James Sellar

what would be the price for one of these players?

I excluded Davis, Talia etc because I know they are off limits

Shaun Mckernan and James Sellar would be the only ones you would be looking at I would think.

Mckernan pick 28 - 2008 : Rated very highly by the club but has not yet shown anything at AFL level.

Sellar pick 14 - 2006: Initially looked very promising but has plateaued out and not really gone to the next level. Really needed an extra inch or two so that he could have been an AFL ruckman.

So my guess is Carlton would not give it's first rounder in a compromised draft which would be pick 18 or something. Meanwhile Adelaide would probably not take it even if it was offered, citing the time KPPs take to develop and the resources they have already invested in the two. This shows the gap to be closed between club expectations which would need to occur for a trade to go a head.

Neil Craig has said he wants running midfielders and everyone knows a classy crumbing small forward at Tippet's feet would be nice. Be willing to give up a player in either of these ilks will be the only way you will net a KPP is my guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton looking for a Key Position Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back