List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There's little I can put forward here with any real conviction, having not watched anything live this year.....just an observation looking at types.

Interesting that just about all the guys we've been linked to though, have been South Australians.
If that was to be true it just seems a little short-sighted and lacking insight and imagination, to me. Let's see what we get and then what they can do.
Presume we have spotters on the ground in SA and WA. Perhaps the SA guy has been the most vocal?

Presume we have spotters on the ground in SA and WA. Perhaps the SA guy has been the most vocal?

Like the W.A. guy used to be. :)

Given our list situation, I'd sooner take a chance on something unseen this year that has a higher potential, than taking something we saw and that may have otherwise been a pick in the 60's or 70's in a normal year.

That's hard to prove, but you get the idea.

Jesus....Archie Perkins on SEN being pretty forthright on not wanting to travel interstate.
Hadn't heard something like that before, either.

Stated that he told recruiters he couldn't commit wholeheartedly if going interstate.

EDIT: The Kinnear Beatson interview on SEN after 9am, was enlightening also. Worth a listen.

Jesus....Archie Perkins on SEN being pretty forthright on not wanting to travel interstate.
Hadn't heard something like that before, either.

Stated that he told recruiters he couldn't commit wholeheartedly if going interstate.

EDIT: The Kinnear Beatson interview on SEN after 9am, was enlightening also. Worth a listen.

Probably rather the player is honest, but if I was a Vic-based recruiter I'd be a little wary of picking him up.

Might end up slipping to Collingwood's pick, or further. Doesn't seem an obvious fit for Essendon.

EDIT: Just saw the comment. The 'I think it'd impact me' is a red flag for sure.

Probably rather the player is honest, but if I was a Vic-based recruiter I'd be a little wary of picking him up.

Might end up slipping to Collingwood's pick, or further. Doesn't seem an obvious fit for Essendon.

EDIT: Just saw the comment. The 'I think it'd impact me' is a red flag for sure.
If he is too immature to move interstate then he is obviously not ready to be drafted into a professional environment that requires sacrifice and hard work not to mention team work, massive problem for any club looking at him.

And knowing we want player X at pick X allows another club to make moves to jump ahead of us to take that player if they rwte him and are behind us in draft position in that range of picks.

I think we're going to be the club jumping ahead of others. Not the other way around.

That's plainly f'd... unless for serious reasons, medically, family etc that's just not kosher and you'd think make you ineligible to be drafted as I'm sure by signing that form you commit to being drafted anywhere selected.

“I don’t think it would be in their best interests as a footy club to have me there because I wouldn’t be 100 per cent with it if I was going over there and couldn’t really commit myself 100 per cent as opposed to staying here where I’d be 100 per cent ready to go and fully committed.

“I just don’t think I’m ready for that and I wanted to be honest about it.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And knowing we want player X at pick X allows another club to make moves to jump ahead of us to take that player if they rwte him and are behind us in draft position in that range of picks.
I take your point in theory, but it seems highly unlikely that the player B70 described as at the top of our list will be available at our 1st pick.
Likewise, we all knew our order of 4 last year, and it made zero difference to who was picked where. Our 1st 3 were taken, and we moved back knowing we would still get Kemp.

That's plainly f'd... unless for serious reasons, medically, family etc that's just not kosher and you'd think make you ineligible to be drafted as I'm sure by signing that form you commit to being drafted anywhere selected.

Well the whole draft process arguably amounts to restraint of trade so swings and roundabouts

I take your point in theory, but it seems highly unlikely that the player B70 described as at the top of our list will be available at our 1st pick.
Likewise, we all knew our order of 4 last year, and it made zero difference to who was picked where. Our 1st 3 were taken, and we moved back knowing we would still get Kemp.

Clubs move up all the time if they know other clubs have interest in other players.

Jist seems unusual for a respected ITK to drop draft information.

While clubs speak to a large group of potential recruits before the draft most clubs don't leak any information on who they plan to pick.

If he's not anywhere close to being there when we have our pick there's no point them being in our list.

Don't
Thanks b70 for the insight.

I don't see why we would chase another inside mid after what we've done in the draft the last few years. Dow, Stocker, Kemp, and we can add on top of that Setters, Kennedy, Ed and Cripps.

A KPP is needed much more imo, up forward and back. If we were to get a mid, someone with some pace and the ability to play on the inside and outside would be my preference. Someone who could potentially replace Murphy, and provide some competition for spots with Cunners, Philp, O'Brien, Honey, Ramsay, and even SPS/Willo if they were to play on the wings.

Don't forget Fogarty.

He has the tools to be a player - and the right attitude.

To illustrate this point a little better - let's say that, hypothetically, Freo like [insert player here] with their Pick 32. Carlton go and inform the world that we're keen on [same player]. Freo, knowing that the player they want is unlikely to get past us, can then try and orchestrate a pick swap with NM, WB, Melbourne, Geelong, GWS etc. to sneak in ahead of us.

On the other hand...if we spread misinformation about players, suggesting we like someone we don't actually intend to draft, then there is always the possibility that we game a club into trading up and improving our pool of available players a bit. Say we suggest that we like Durdin even though we don't - Freo actually want him - they trade up and take him with Melbourne's Pick 28. That means that we've ensured that a player we don't want anyway goes at Pick 28, instead of whichever player Melbourne might have taken.

It's simply good practice to avoid notifying opposition clubs of your intentions. There's nothing to be gained by it, but certainly some potential to lose out. Ideally, you want to convince other clubs that you want players you don't want - as that reduces the chances of a club trading up to shark your actual target, and may lead to a player sliding a little further than they otherwise would.

Or he's been coached to put that message out....

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back