List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

To illustrate this point a little better - let's say that, hypothetically, Freo like [insert player here] with their Pick 32. Carlton go and inform the world that we're keen on [same player]. Freo, knowing that the player they want is unlikely to get past us, can then try and orchestrate a pick swap with NM, WB, Melbourne, Geelong, GWS etc. to sneak in ahead of us.

On the other hand...if we spread misinformation about players, suggesting we like someone we don't actually intend to draft, then there is always the possibility that we game a club into trading up and improving our pool of available players a bit. Say we suggest that we like Durdin even though we don't - Freo actually want him - they trade up and take him with Melbourne's Pick 28. That means that we've ensured that a player we don't want anyway goes at Pick 28, instead of whichever player Melbourne might have taken.

It's simply good practice to avoid notifying opposition clubs of your intentions. There's nothing to be gained by it, but certainly some potential to lose out. Ideally, you want to convince other clubs that you want players you don't want - as that reduces the chances of a club trading up to shark your actual target, and may lead to a player sliding a little further than they otherwise would.

We've got our own really good example with C Curnow and McKay.

We had pick 10 & 12, Adelaide had 11.

Word was going around Adelaide were interested in McKay @ 11 but not so much Charlie...which was one of the reasons we took him @ 10 and Charlie @ 12. As an example, knowing Adelaide's preferences could have helped us nab both key forwards by choosing McKay first, even if we actually rated Charlie higher.

Another famous story is Hawthorn selecting Roughead @ 2 and Buddy @ 5 because they knew one of the teams that had a pick between them would have taken Roughead.

If he is too immature to move interstate then he is obviously not ready to be drafted into a professional environment that requires sacrifice and hard work not to mention team work, massive problem for any club looking at him.
hope every club agrees and let’s him drift to 31.

Walsh as a developmental ruckman & SDK as a KPD that can be thrown forward would address needs of theirs IMO.
Both also address our needs. How do we get them out of Geelong later on. Really disappointed as Walsh has shown exceptional professionalism and imagine his brother is cut from the same cloth.

The dream for me is that we trade up and grab DGB (incredibly unlikely).

The secondary dream for me is we trade up and grab Nik Cox if he slides (very unlikely)

My next dream is that Jake Bowey slides and we grab him with our first pick (unlikely)

My realistic dream is that nothing super exciting happens and we draft smart for positions of need.

Like the W.A. guy used to be. :)

Given our list situation, I'd sooner take a chance on something unseen this year that has a higher potential, than taking something we saw and that may have otherwise been a pick in the 60's or 70's in a normal year.

That's hard to prove, but you get the idea.
Maybe the WA got locked out by border closure or something?

Seems like the media and Austin are really pushing the SA draftee links. I wonder whether it is legit or a smokescreen.

I also don’t understand the logic behind more inside mid draftees considering we are playing Stocker and Kemp in the backline, and with Dow to work back into the team.

Because Stocker may not make it due to application issues and Kemp may be more KP than mid.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats expected to nab Walsh, we've told him that we will pick him up if he is there at the end of the draft.

I don’t think so, Geelong. Sam Walsh doesn’t want to play with 15 players old enough to be his uncle, even if you draft Henry Walsh.

Going through some phantom drafts and looking back at our pick swap with the swans we have traded out our future 3rd round pick for what could be as little as a 3 to 5 pick upgrade once academy picks are taken into account, a really strange trade considering the cats got 27 for the demons future 3rd, I still can't understand the need to go so early on that trade when better options could open up on draft night, seems a huge miscalculation by our list management team.
Still yet to be impressed by any trade result this team has accomplished thus far, lets hope their drafting is improved with those middle to late picks.

That’s borderline draft tampering. You enter draft, you go wherever. BS.

Or maybe it's a kid being honest so he doesn't end up becoming another Harley Balic.

Regardless, it's not a great marker for where he's at in his maturity.

That’s borderline draft tampering. You enter draft, you go wherever. BS.

The most damning thing he said was that he couldn't fully commit to an interstate club.
It's fine saying that you'd sooner stay in your own state...no problem...but to tell clubs that you won't fully commit is bad.

Maybe that just came out wrong but on face value, it wasn't a good thing and then the interviewer applauded his honesty. He missed the point completely.

Does anybody know whats the go with Macreadie.? Is he looking to get picked up again?

We have Stocker Dow Philps and Kemp as prospective on ballers. I can only assume the interest for the SA boys to be a smokescreen.

Having said that there is no reason why we wouldn't target the best available in this draft

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back