Casey vs Sandringham (VFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown BOG and surely McDonald is under some pressure from him.

Nobody else knocking the door down, although Bedford was good and there were plenty of other good signs across almost every Melbourne listed player.

Laurie had a very good second half while Howes faded.

Weid was more effective as a ruck than a forward. Given the signs van Rooyen is showing maybe Weid should be tried as a defender.

i thought it looked pretty weak opposition, but still a few good signs from our boys. a few of my thoughts, for what they're worth;

Brown was best on. marked nearly everything that came his way. missed a few straight shots early, but nailed nearly all of his shots around the corner. a 4 qtr effort.
Van Rooyen looks good and strong for a kid. just needs to build on his fitness to run out games. had the occasional run in the ruck where he threw his weight around ok too.
Bedford was good playing a mix of fwd and starting mid. he pressured, used his dash well, and kicked some good opportunist goals.
Woewodin (wing/def), Moniz-Wakefield(fwd), and McVee(def) definitely didn't look out of place in their first games.
Laurie warmed into it and ran the game out well in the HF/Mid role.
Howes showed some glimpses of his talent on the wing and he runs hard. i think i might have seen him pick up an ankle injury somewhere around 3 qtr time and i don't think he came back on after that. he seemed to be walking not too badly after the game though.
D.Smith and Baker were both fairly solid in defence. Smith took some good marks, and Baker provided a bit of run out of the backline at times.
Weideman did Weideman things, good and bad, in a ruck/fwd role.
Dunstan got a bit of it as an inside mid, but disposal was a bit suspect as others already noted. i was looking for a bit more from him at this level.
Melksham on the other hand didn't get a heap of it, but was clean and made it count when he did.
Chandler started well, then got injured. had a bit of a limp up after the game.
Daw was ok in the ruck contests but didn't do much around the ground.
Rosman was pretty ordinary playing defence and a bit of wing. probably delisted at the end of the year unless there's a pretty big turn around i'd say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be amazed if Melksham gets another game at senior level. Laurie, Bedford, Chandler on the improve and youth on their side.

Roo looks to be a great prospect. Kicking multiple goals in his first hitout is a great sign. Still doubtful he'll get a senior gig this year. Laurie is the one I'm excited about. I remember Taylor saying we had the best 2 kicks in the draft with Laurie and Bowey. If he can get anywhere near Bowey levels across half forward, wowee..

M. Brown will get a gig if B.Brown gets hurt .
Weid will fill in if Dogga is hurt .
The rest of the kids can make a reason for getting in the first team.

Who comes in when McDonald is arrested for trying to overthrow the state government?

Remove this Banner Ad

Casey vs Sandringham (VFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back