Preview Cats V Hawks Sat Jul6 435 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is they go smaller up forward and don't risk Duncan. So O'Connor comes into the 22 for Duncan and O Henry replaces Neale. Then Mannagh comes in as sub.

Would be shocked if Neale was dropped. As well as playing KPF he’s a ruck option in our forward 50.

I reckon Ollie will play as sub. He hasn’t been too bad when he has been sub (not as good as Rohan but …)

I can’t see how they don’t play Mannagh this week.

So in my mind that means Clark out and I reckon they rest Duncan? Not sure on Duncan as he was pretty good last week and this is such an important game. The other thing they could do is go small ball and leave our Neale? (Not fair but…)

You might be right that they manage Close?
Oconnor out.

My guess is they go smaller up forward and don't risk Duncan. So O'Connor comes into the 22 for Duncan and O Henry replaces Neale. Then Mannagh comes in as sub.
I can't see Neale out. No second ruck aside from blitz who was woeful in the ruck last week and also you're playing one kpf instead of two, which isn't an awful idea but not a structure we've played in about 4 years.

Plus, Neale needs games.

Honestly i think its time you started talking up StKilda and North again

There is no spot available at present for Parfitt
Maybe.
The numbers are a bit interesting though, and it was not my assertion in the first place about Parf for Clark.
I've been pretty keen on Carlton much of 24; they look good.
I don't see us backing up on last week's win.
Saints and NM mean zilch to me.

I can't see Neale out. No second ruck aside from blitz who was woeful in the ruck last week and also you're playing one kpf instead of two, which isn't an awful idea but not a structure we've played in about 4 years.

Plus, Neale needs games.

Would think that if Neale is omitted just one game into life with Hawkins on the sideline, he'd be best off looking for a new club

He isn't going to set the world on fire each week, but surely we can give him a solid block of games to see what he has to offer

We also need to remember that Neale has played less than 50 games total in the hoops - 11 AFL games & 33 VFL matches. He played 5 of a possible 8 VFL games in 2021 after that season was again covid interrupted; 15 VFL matches & 2 senior matches in 2022, and last year he was kept to 8 VFL matches & 3 senior matches due to an early season ankle injury

While he turns 22 later this month, he's had 2 years of development interrupted for different reasons - surely this is when we back him in to see what he can show when given a run of games

Let's look at the W-L with Parf in v out.
The losses are almost directly related to his absence, although I know that's not THE factor.
Your point IS true though.
He's shit. Time to move past yesterday's man.

Would think that if Neale is omitted just one game into life with Hawkins on the sideline, he'd be best off looking for a new club

He isn't going to set the world on fire each week, but surely we can give him a solid block of games to see what he has to offer

We also need to remember that Neale has played less than 50 games total in the hoops - 11 AFL games & 33 VFL matches. He played 5 of a possible 8 VFL games in 2021 after that season was again covid interrupted; 15 VFL matches & 2 senior matches in 2022, and last year he was kept to 8 VFL matches & 3 senior matches due to an early season ankle injury

While he turns 22 later this month, he's had 2 years of development interrupted for different reasons - surely this is when we back him in to see what he can show when given a run of games
Also averaging half a goal more per game than Hawkins at the same age. At that point Hawkins was a 50 odd game player being fed by a group of elite premiership midfielders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus, Neale needs games.

If they persisted playing Neale alongside Hawkins and Cameron for multiple weeks, there’s almost no chance they’d drop Neale after one game when Hawkins is out injured.

Ollie Henry has improved the defensive side of his game this season with the odd tackle on big opponents as good as you will ever see, can he be better perhaps but it's a work in progress and he's responding while he keeps on improving in that area and kicking a couple of goals a game he will continue to be picked in the side.

Ollie Henry has improved the defensive side of his game this season with the odd tackle on big opponents as good as you will ever see, can he be better perhaps but it's a work in progress and he's responding while he keeps on improving in that area and kicking a couple of goals a game he will continue to be picked in the side.
But that isnt true. In his last 10 games he has only had two games with more then 1 tackle. In his last 3 games he has only had 1 single tackle.

His tackle average is down from 1.6 last year to 1.2 this year.

I'm not feeling at all confident with this one. After last week's result I have been hoping we've turned a corner, but I remember this feeling last year, where things just never got rolling.

As much as I hate to say it, the Hawks look good at the moment, with some very talented players and a great cohesion; we will need to be very switched on early. Limiting the influence of Day, Amon and Impey the key!

I hope Shaun Mannagh gets a look this week....Cats by 5

But that isnt true. In his last 10 games he has only had two games with more then 1 tackle. In his last 3 games he has only had 1 single tackle.

The stats are just that they tell their story but this season I have see him pull down a big ruckman and James Sicily both resulting in Cats goals as I said he's a work in progress both with and without the ball and improvement should come with maturity in our system keep your powder dry.

Last edited:

Aaahhhhhh!!! The Kennett Curse, good times

Kennett + Cat.jpg

Need our young guns to really stand up on Saturday as they did in that 2013. A repeat of Geelong's Q1 + Q2, with accurate kicking for us in Q3 + Q4. Duncan, Cuthrie, Hawkins + Blitz the only players still here.

In 2013, Cats won all 11 matches played against Hawthorn since 2008 Grand Final loss, with the margin in nine of those matches being less than two goals.

When I began watching the highlights, even shocked myself when I realised contempt is still blazing for Hawks. Swear PTSD flooded from 1989 GF loss. Couldn't watch 2008 because Mitchell triggers me so much :joycat: :joycat: :joycat: Very vague memories of watching 1963 GF with Dad.

Think we need Neale's forward rucking ability + perhaps O'Connor as sub with Mannagh playing, really think it's time for Mannagh to return.

What is it with you and the pants? :oops:
Agree and I would give Clark a rest and bring in Mannagh. Give him a shot FFS.

The team dynamic changed immensely the other day so let's hope the momentum continues.
If Mannagh kicked 6, that HAS to be an inclusion. Bringing fresh and hungry players in revitalises the side, particularly during the long, tough winter months.

I understand his tackle count is low, but isn’t his job to create space and options? Sure, if the ball goes to ground in his vicinity he has a duty to tackle but my bet is he recognises that other players alongside him have that role and his is to escape the congestion and put himself in a dangerous position. That’s his craft and role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand his tackle count is low, but isn’t his job to create space and options? Sure, if the ball goes to ground in his vicinity he has a duty to tackle but my bet is he recognises that other players alongside him have that role and his is to escape the congestion and put himself in a dangerous position. That’s his craft and role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rohan has historically got low tackle counts but we all know that his pressure impact goes beyond that. Lots of corralling and chasing and applying inferred pressure.

Doesn't apply so much to O.Henry but tackle counts don't tell whole story was the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back