Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo essentially ruling themselves out of a Warner chase by going for Bolton, and the Eagles aren't in the game.

He'll be out of range this year, next year will be bedlam but for right now this thread will sink to page 4 again

It would still be possible, would require us moving on Darcy, Fyfe and Walters retiring and asking O’Meara to pull the pin a year early.

Even then, we’d still probably have to find some $ somewhere.

Unlikely, but not impossible.

Freo should really be looking to move Darcy as he is way too much of a luxury with Knobel developing well
Fyfe and Walters should be tapped on the shoulder this year as they will struggle to get a game if both Bolton/Pickett do come and would really be crap to see them missing out on a flag whilst still on the list but not making the team

Freo have gone past these 2 and JOM is still mind boggling

Freo should really be looking to move Darcy as he is way too much of a luxury with Knobel developing well
Fyfe and Walters should be tapped on the shoulder this year as they will struggle to get a game if both Bolton/Pickett do come and would really be crap to see them missing out on a flag whilst still on the list but not making the team

Freo have gone past these 2 and JOM is still mind boggling
Agree, Darcy would command huge currency on the open market and he is for sure surplus to requirement with Knobel looking likely to be a genuine senior ruckman already

Darcy’s contract isn’t even a worry either, clubs will be happy to take that on

Amazing how many Victorian non-Freo supporters are supposedly keeping tabs on the small number of senior WAFL games Knobel has actually played.
When you consume a lot of Perth footy media of course you’re going to hear his name and sus out his stats

Not sure why you are so upset big fella

When you consume a lot of Perth footy media of course you’re going to hear his name and sus out his stats

Knobel has played like 3 league games and spent the entire year in the reserves.

How anyone can say he’s anywhere close to coming in for Darcy is beyond me

There's just a constant 'trade Darcy' narrative that's quite annoying. Reidy simply making it through the last two rounds without spontaneously combusting had the Kane Cornes of the world trying to tell us we can do without him.

Knobel is definitely developing well, but he's still a long way off replacing what Darcy gives us.

Knobel has played like 3 league games and spent the entire year in the reserves.

How anyone can say he’s anywhere close to coming in for Darcy is beyond me

There's just a constant 'trade Darcy' narrative that's quite annoying. Reidy simply making it through the last two rounds without spontaneously combusting had the Kane Cornes of the world trying to tell us we can do without him.

Knobel is definitely developing well, but he's still a long way off replacing what Darcy gives us.
Sorry, to clarify - I think Darcy is a jet and I’ve come around to the idea that Darcy and Jackson are better off with eachother but I do think Darcy would give you guys the ability to get another superstar player in with the cap space he’d clear and draft capital he’d bring in

However, Knobel is years off of being Darcy and mightn’t ever get to that level - I just think personally if it were my club I’d be happy with a Jackson/TDK type leading the charge if we had a player who looked a likely senior AFL ruck in the reserves

I get your frustration now completely

Sorry, to clarify - I think Darcy is a jet and I’ve come around to the idea that Darcy and Jackson are better off with eachother but I do think Darcy would give you guys the ability to get another superstar player in with the cap space he’d clear and draft capital he’d bring in

However, Knobel is years off of being Darcy and mightn’t ever get to that level - I just think personally if it were my club I’d be happy with a Jackson/TDK type leading the charge if we had a player who looked a likely senior AFL ruck in the reserves

I get your frustration now completely
We have a much better option to trade if we needed to who we actually have depth to cover immediately.

Darcy just makes us such a better team when he’s on and the difference at times is night and day.

Cox has been well covered by Draper who will only improve and we didn’t really miss him all that much this season.

Both on six years and good coin, but if we need to make space Cox is much more dispensable.

If Freo are chasing Warner then Erasmus is no longer required. Bundle Erasmus and our picks and we can get Kozzy, Bolton and Warner. Let Darcy and Switta go if needed to make that happen. Reidy, Knobel, Jackson will be enough when we have Young, Brayshaw, Serong, Johnson extracting the pill for Treacy, Amiss, Warner, Kozzy and Bolton. A backman's nightmare.

If Freo are chasing Warner then Erasmus is no longer required. Bundle Erasmus and our picks and we can get Kozzy, Bolton and Warner. Let Darcy and Switta go if needed to make that happen. Reidy, Knobel, Jackson will be enough when we have Young, Brayshaw, Serong, Johnson extracting the pill for Treacy, Amiss, Warner, Kozzy and Bolton. A backman's nightmare.
No one is ever getting a contracted Warner, Pickett and Bolton in one off season. It's essentially impossible. Pickett and Bolton alone is going to be hard to get through

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Warner will be getting 8 years 16 mill myself from a club like us if Mac Andrews is getting 8 12 mill

I suspect Dockers getting Bolton/Pickett knowing they cant afford Warner. Will be up to Eagles/Sydney
This would not surprise me at all with the cap space you guys will have in 2 years time

We could even go higher and push to 8 years 20 mill reall

If these are the salaries for out of contract footballers, then Freo got zero chance
I can see a 2 mil a year contract offer from the eagles to warner when he is a free agent and that would definitely blow freo out of the park. The eagles could probably pay the $6 mil upfront

I can see a 2 mil a year contract offer from the eagles to warner when he is a free agent and that would definitely blow freo out of the park. The eagles could probably pay the $6 mil upfront
Zero chance Warner waits til free agency for his big contract. You aint leaving 10+ mill on the table and taking that big a risk in a sport like the AFL

Probably that 2 1st rounders. Doubt we can offer more

If you are putting that much dosh and swans have a contract will need to be insane.

Prefer a year of Warner over two firsts easily. Regardless of a lesser return next year.

If you are putting that much dosh and swans have a contract will need to be insane.

Prefer a year of Warner over two firsts easily. Regardless of a lesser return next year.
Pretty sure this is where it sits.

Only way it changes this year I think, is if you feel you need a different piece, and moving Warner out this year helps with that.

Warner is probably paid 500k under market rate this year, and next.

Our problem is that his current salary doesn’t give us much cap relief, or enough to go hunting a true replacement. If we trade we are trading for picks... but that's not where our squad is at.

Having said that we need a draft hit soon. Retirements are on the horizon

Warner is probably paid 500k under market rate this year, and next.

Our problem is that his current salary doesn’t give us much cap relief, or enough to go hunting a true replacement. If we trade waltrading for picks... but that's not where our squad is at.

Having said that we need a draft hit soon. Retirements are on the horizon
The Stringer link is interesting. Picks wont be a problem for him but he's a pretty greedy dude and I'd assume isnt moving for a cheap contract, even if it is the extra years he's looking for...

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back