Strategy Changes and Pre-match discussion (Freo 15/7, MCG 1.45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Based on that I’d think

Out: WHE, Bianco
In: Sidebottom, McStay
Sub: ???

We already had too many talls up forward tonight. The balance was all wrong. We can’t bring in McStay whilst also retaining all of Cox, Cameron, Frampton and Johnson. They’ll just get in each other’s way and fly against each other in marking contests.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Before anyone calls for McStay to come in he had 5 disposals in the VFL and was all but invisible. He’s not a “tall” in the tall sense he’s a checkers tall. He’s not skilled and has no tricks he’s a bash and crash type. Can’t have both him and checkers in the same side.

We already had too many talls up forward tonight. The balance was all wrong. We can’t bring in McStay whilst also retaining all of Cox, Cameron, Frampton and Johnson. They’ll just get in each other’s way and fly against each other in marking contests.

I’d be moving Frampton back I think he may be the sub though.

OUT of the 23: Hoskin-Elliott, Bianco
INTO the 23: Sidebottom, Macrae

I’d shift Frampton back to defence, with Howe possibly moving forward. He built his career at Dees up forward and was recruited as such to Collingwood. He became a gun defender by accident/necessity but has much more forward instinct and craft than Frampton, Cox & Cameron.

Probably not... But AJ didn't deserve a game tonight after his very poor game in the VFL last week. But he got in due to injury and made the most of it

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t think we pick the team based on who “deserves” it but rather who fits into our structure the best. As underwhelming as McStay’s been he’s clearly a better fit forward than Frampton.

Out: WHE
In: Sidebottom

Out: Frampton
In: Checkers

Out: Adams
In: Bruz

Bianco was a sub. He doesn’t get dropped.

If McStay dominates the VFL he comes in, Johnno goes out.

Before anyone calls for McStay to come in he had 5 disposals in the VFL and was all but invisible. He’s not a “tall” in the tall sense he’s a checkers tall. He’s not skilled and has no tricks he’s a bash and crash type. Can’t have both him and checkers in the same side.
Can't see McStay ever McPlaying if he and Checkers cannot be in the same team. I thought the reason for recruiting him was to relieve Checkers of the responsibility of being a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rotten luck for WHE but it's hard to imagine him not being squeezed out when all of Sidebottom, Maynard, Mihocek and McStay returned.

Arguably Markov has pushed ahead in recent weeks also though he to might be fighting for his spot when all of those above are available.

Outside of WHE and I assume Bianco it's difficult to predict any more changes given up to 4 players could potentially return from injury.

If we take Browne at his word then:

Out: WHE, Bianco
In: Sidebottom, McStay
Sub: Frampton

Gee, that’s hard on Johnson. Five marks and 3.0 including another gem from the boundary line. With Checkers back in, there’s even greater opportunity for AJ to slip under the guard and kick a bag.

I doubt Maynard will return so soon but if he does I would sooner see Howe (looked hesitant tonight) out and Frampton replace him in defence than drop AJ after a three goal performance.

Adams (19 disposals @ 53% efficiency), Lipinski (16 disposals @ 63%) and Hill (12 disposals @ 75%) were also comparatively poor amongst non-structural players.

I agree but if you view it as Mihocek coming back in for him, then it’s really not that much different to Harrison making way for De Goey this week.

I agree but if you view it as Mihocek coming back in for him, then it’s really not that much different to Harrison making way for De Goey this week.
I’d be replacing either Frampton or Cox before Johnson.

Our balance of talls looks really out tonight.

At one stage we had all of Cox, Cameron and Frampton all flying against each other in a marking contest.

Howe regularly looked uncertain and out of position tonight and Darcy was punished multiple times for giving his direct opponent too much space.

Frampton is an excellent defender and competent relief ruckman but he is NOT a forward. Tonight I would have swapped him with Howe but regardless next week he needs to either go back to defence or to the AFL.

I can only guess Fly was trying to improvise with Mihocek out and McStay not ready. Frampton should have been moved back ten minutes into the first quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back