Unofficial Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Gold Coast - Rd17 Saturday 6 July

Remove this Banner Ad

No. No it is not.

Absolutely this.

My kids are North or nothing.

5 generations, there is no choosing.

I’m the opposite.

Grandfather was North on my mums side. Mum and Grandmother were *, as they met on either side of Flemington.

Entire family on my Dads side are mad Dogs from the Westwrn suburbs.

My father was a major sponsor of the Dogs, employed dozens of players etc.

His business had factories in Tottenham, Braybrook, West Footscray. Dogs heartland and everyone that worked for him were dyed in the wool Footscray.

Broke his heart when my Pop poached me over as a toddler. He used to take me to Arden St every time he had me, down to training on the school holidays, get me into the rooms with the trainers he knew. I’d do kick to kick with Matty Larkin in the rooms at training, or talk to a young Duck whilst he was getting a rub down. I was a North tragic from that point. He could never convert me back, the damage was done.

I have 3 older sisters and my old man used to take them to the footy every week, coterie events at the Western Oval etc he was gearing up for his only son…

Sacked all the Dogs staff, pulled the sponsorship and has never been to another Dogs game in about 40 years… He dove head first into local footy instead.

My Pop would be the one to take me to the footy as a kid, for obvious reasons.

Thank god we never met the Dogs in a major final in the 90’s is all I can say.. it was on the cards for a while.

It’s still a sore point, as all my kids are now mad North supporters and don’t quite understand when they hang shit on their now Pop and their Aunts.

To my old man’s credit, he was too honorable to try and poach my kids in revenge, maybe he remembered how painful it was and didn’t want it for me.

Luke Beveridge invited him personally into the rooms for the 2016 GF, along with my sisters. I was at home having a BBQ. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles. He told me a few months later how cut up he was that he couldn’t share that day with with me as the two footy nuts of the family. I was thrilled for him personally, but I’ve been a North fan my entire life, I felt more envy myself to get back to that point of winning flags.

Kids and footy teams/allegiances can be a pretty emotional thing.

My case is also why you lock your kids away as early as possible. There’s no ****ing chance in the world id let my father in law take my kids to Moorrabin for training now 😂

Last edited:
We’re a big chance Saturday.
Everyone should be getting to the game.
Gotta say turnout looked good. Level 1 was nicely occupied from what I could see.

To all who turned up - hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Kids and footy teams/allegiances can be a pretty emotional thing.
Only just reading this now.

Without going into boring detail, as I mentioned I am 4th generation and my kids are 5th. However in the 90s I really just attended games with family occasionally. Mum wasn't really into footy and my Grand father was gone by then.

While I got to see 96 and 99 Nothing is going to compare to number 5 and being able to spend that with my wife and kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back