Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Sydney - Rd18

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Gold Coast at Marvel is a way different prospect to Sydney at the SCG.
If we let Warner and Gulden run rampant it’s going to get ugly.

Have you even watched Sydney the past two weeks? Young went to Gulden a couple of weeks ago and had his quietest game all year. Did an amazing job. Freo don’t win that game without that impact.

And again yesterday in the last quarter, Gulden had 1 kick as the Saints ran over the top of the Swans.

You’re delusional if you think we aren’t going to send someone to their prime movers.
Defensive winger? One plays nearly every game. Very different to a hard tag in the middle.

Friends, there's going to be world record umpiring shit****ery this week, like things we've never seen before.

And we saw a ****ing interchange violation free last time.

Friends, there's going to be world record umpiring shit****ery this week, like things we've never seen before.

Part of this sides maturity journey will be to be good enough to win it regardless of what ever the umpires are doing.

There is still learning to come on that front and it will probably hurt to watch.

They tried and failed to do this against St Kilda yesterday, a hand came reaching down from the sky repeatedly trying to give Sydney back the momentum. Saints pushed through, we have to do the same.

Explain where I'm wrong?
Take a look here then use this equation:

Will Phillips posts / Total posts X 100

and you can work out your bias %.

you have one tune, its basically all negative and it is all directed at Will.

There is nothing that I can say that would convince you that you are wrong. but you are clearly biased. More biased than any poster I have ever encountered.

Take a look here then use this equation:

Will Phillips posts / Total posts X 100

and you can work out your bias %.

you have one tune, its basically all negative and it is all directed at Will.

There is nothing that I can say that would convince you that you are wrong. but you are clearly biased. More biased than any poster I have ever encountered.
Am I wrong but? Post bye we've won two out of five and the three losses were when we ran a tag. That's not Will's fault. I just can't understand people calling for a tag.

Am I wrong but?
In your bias? Almost certainly.

45 players on our list you’d be lucky to have posted this year about five of them with an almost sole focus on one individual.

Your posts should be viewed through this lens and your opinion discounted accordingly.

Your bias and balanced opinion are mutually exclusive.

Post bye we've won two out of five and the three losses were when we ran a tag. That's not Will's fault. I just can't understand people calling for a tag.

In two of the other games we went to the wire and his tag was a clear role in both of them.

So it’s not as binary as you’ve painted it. It’s got neuance which your bias doesn’t allow for.

Do you think the Phillips tags are the reason we lost the Melbourne or Collingwood games? It could equally be argued they were a factor in why we got as close.

In your bias? Almost certainly.

45 players on our list you’d be lucky to have posted this year about five of them with an almost sole focus on one individual.

Your posts should be viewed through this lens and your opinion discounted accordingly.

Your bias and balanced opinion are mutually exclusive.

In two of the other games we went to the wire and his tag was a clear role in both of them.

So it’s not as binary as you’ve painted it. It’s got neuance which your bias doesn’t allow for.

Do you think the Phillips tags are the reason we lost the Melbourne or Collingwood games? It could equally be argued they were a factor in why we got as close.
Not sure you quite have a grasp of it all. There's no way next season with our midfield group that we play a hard tag. I don't give a **** if Phillips plays this week, that's up to Clarko. I just think robbing Powell and George of midfield minutes is ridiculous and if you're going to tag it needs to be their best player, Will isn't going to Heeney or Gulden.

Am I wrong but? Post bye we've won two out of five and the three losses were when we ran a tag. That's not Will's fault. I just can't understand people calling for a tag.
There's a good argument that we should have won two of those games, probably because of the tag.

Furthermore the reason we didn't win was out of our control. Also, that with a more experienced, slightly older side that had won more footy we would have won those games anyway despite those poor umpiring decisions at crucial moments.

In one of the games we were straight up robbed by the umpiring on two occasions and if those decisions had been correct it would have changed the result of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They tried and failed to do this against St Kilda yesterday, a hand came reaching down from the sky repeatedly trying to give Sydney back the momentum. Saints pushed through, we have to do the same.
A hand reaching down from the sky or a voice in the umpires earpieces

There's a good argument that we should have won two of those games, probably because of the tag.

Furthermore the reason we didn't win was out of our control. Also, that with a more experienced, slightly older side that had won more footy we would have won those games anyway despite those poor umpiring decisions at crucial moments.

In one of the games we were straight up robbed by the umpiring on two occasions and if those decisions had been correct it would have changed the result of the game.
It's impossible to say, I'd think if we had our time again we'd back our mids against Melbourne. Oliver is having his worst season since debuting and tagging Treloar makes no sense, if you can't stop their best mid then don't tag. We just smashed a pretty handy group of sun's, I hope we have a crack against Sydney. I think we'll learn alot from that win, if Will plays as a defensive mid then that's fine but a tag really throws the team balance out.

Big opportunity to test ourselves. Huge.

As I said earlier $11 was a ridiculous figure and North have come in. Worth a sneaky fiver this week north at the line or something more ambitions. Low risk, high potential reward.

It's impossible to say, I'd think if we had our time again we'd back our mids against Melbourne. Oliver is having his worst season since debuting and tagging Treloar makes no sense, if you can't stop their best mid then don't tag. We just smashed a pretty handy group of sun's, I hope we have a crack against Sydney. I think we'll learn alot from that win, if Will plays as a defensive mid then that's fine but a tag really throws the team balance out.
Oliver had his worse performance for the year against us. He was completely shut out of the game. They didn't have Petracca so that worked in our favour too. If we hadn't been robbed by the decision to pay the goal that Bailey Scott touched and not pay him the 50 the Will's job on Daicos would have helped win us that game.

I only watched the last quarter of the Dogs game and when i watched the replay wasn't really looking for anything other than who to vote for. So I didn't really notice Will. The stats say Treloar was held at stoppages and had one of his weakest performances for the season but that doesn't matter if someone like Bontempelli can cover for him in such a dominant fashion.

So tagging ... I think its one of those things where it can work and be appropriate but has to be situation specific.

And this week that could be one of those situations if Heeney is suspended. If they go in without Heeney and Phillips can limit Warner's influence then that puts us in a position to cause another upset against the Swans.

Massive game for LDU. He’s going to get a lot of attention, but he can’t lower his colors like he did against the dogs. Having the Warlord back will help too.
I think it’s a bigger game for the ‘supporting’ cast.

If Sydney is going to put so much into stopping him, the others need to get off the chain.

The Swans Board is an interesting read. It’s like Bambi was kidnapped and the sky is about to fall in. Not as bad as those Port ADL turn coats.

They will bring in one of two (Mills or Parker) for their first game of the year. Some very sore bodies on their list, and Heeney might get one courtesy of the MRO. They will take it for an appeal. He is a protected species like Cripps, Butters etc.

3 weeks ago they were sniffing their own shit 💩 with up to 5 Players in AA discussion talks (Heeney, Gulden, Warner, Grundy and Blakey). Blakey and Gulden from all accounts stunk it up and Gulden went at 100% hitting many St Kilda targets 😎

Aside from the Amartey 9 goal game, they rely so much on their midfield to keep the scoreboard ticking over. All their mids can ping it from +50 meters (4 of their goals yesterday). I would put Scott on Gulden (often plays 100% TOG) and just wear him like a glove.

This game will be won in the mid-field and if X can dominate Grundy, and our kids cut lose it’s ours for the taking. James Jordan has done a few nice tag jobs this year. I expect he will shake hands with LDU at the start. I think WillPhil should go to Adams, and Arch can plant himself in Papley’s back pocket all day. A little confidence can go a long way.

I know this is a massively unpopular opinion, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Phillips makes way for George.
I have LDU, George, Sheezel, Simpkin & Powell all ahead of him for midfield rotations & Will doesn’t have the versatility to play elsewhere.
I think Will has been solid, albeit a bit down the last couple of weeks.
I just think we need to maintain balance in the team & not play too many players suited to one position.
I want to see Sheezel get more CBA’s.

Unless Clarko has Phillips pegged for a particular tagging job against one of the many Sydney gun midfielders this week, he may be on the chopping block IMO.

Out: Phillips, Stephens, Pink (maybe Dawson if Clarko doesn’t want to shift a defender forward)
In: Wardlaw, Fisher, Logue

If Logue needs another week then Pink/Dawson stays.
Hmmmmm.....Im considering trading Gulden out of my Fantasy team because of Will Phil.

It fee’s up a center square mid also.

Gulden starts on the wing and only attends around 15-20% CBA

So we can swap Dylan Stephens for Wardlaw and put Phillips on the wing on Gulden.

Rowbottom will tag LDU.

Sheezel and Wardlaw vs Warner and Heeney then.

We match up well against them imo.

Particularly with being able to tag AND play all of LDU, Wardlaw and Powell/Sheezel in the center bounces.

Clearances have been a bit of a weak point for the Swans this year and we have arguably the best clearance group with Fremantle at the moment.
If I was Horse I'd consider bringing Parker in to go head to head with Wardlaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back