Prediction Changes and Pre Match Discussion vs Western Bulldogs R15 @Optus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How people can be thinking about resting or managing players in this important game is baffling.

Both shuey and Kelly in. Season on the line here on out. We are not in position where our spot is sown up
I have'nt seen anyone suggesting that. I think you are confusing resting/managing players with taking a cautious approach with bringing players back from injury and/or not bringing in too many underdone players at once.
The question mark over Kelly and Gov is that they have both missed a fair chunk of games and with other inclusions such as Shuey , Shep (although he hasnt missed much) and probably Witherden is that these guys will be a bit short of a run and against a team like the Dogs.
If we bring back say 5 players who havent had a run for some time, that may mean we run out of legs late in the match and it is a genuine concern.
Its not like anyone is saying, give these guys another week or manage them because we will towel up this rabble.

For this week, I would probably drop Nelson who will be replaced by Alex Witherden, I am hoping Luke Edwards stays in, but he will be very stiff if he got dropped, he looks like a very good player.

Luke Foley may be another unlucky player because Brad Sheppard will likely be picked to replace him.

Not long ago, he had issues with player availability, now we are seeing a selection squeeze

Alright, having a crack at today’s extended squad announcement.

In: Shuey, Kelly, McGovern, Sheppard, Williams
Out: Hedwards

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Hurn
HB: Cole, McGovern, Duggan
C: Gaff, Yeo, Redden
HF: Cripps, Darling, Shuey
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen
R: Naitanui, Sheed, Kelly
I (from): Rotham, Nelson, Foley, Ledwards, Jones, Langdon, Waterman, Williams

Williams unlikely to make the cut but he’s there to keep the Bulldogs guessing about what we’ll do with the ruck.

Other three omissions to come from the guys on the bench. Could just about be any combo of them. Whoever’s squeezed out will be extremely unlucky, as is Hedwards.

No room for Petch or Brander who have to fight their way in through the WAFL.

Who's going to be on restricted minutes?

- Yeo should be off restrictions now given the games he's played, plus the week off.
- Shep won't be given he's barely missed anytime.
- McGovern can be managed in the back half without too many worries, he's always conserved energy by zoning off.

Shuey and Kelly (if he plays), are the two who will likely be on minute restrictions. Think you have to risk that with their quality.
Shuey and kelly in the midfield against the bulldogs…..

For this week, I would probably drop Nelson who will be replaced by Alex Witherden, I am hoping Luke Edwards stays in, but he will be very stiff if he got dropped, he looks like a very good player.

Luke Foley may be another unlucky player because Brad Sheppard will likely be picked to replace him.

Not long ago, he had issues with player availability, now we are seeing a selection squeeze
This is the beauty of having to play depth (due to injuries) and still finding a way to win.

In reality, the experienced incumbents will take priority. Sure, Foley and Edwards (x2) played well, but there is no way they stay in if Kelly, Shep and Gov and available.

The frustrating thing about it was that we were hanging in against the eventual premiers and were 2-3 goals down for most of the third quarter, just needing that one to break the wall. That then killed everything and Geelong went into cruise control for the rest of the match.
Wonder what he thought when he realised it was Darren Glass leading to him in 'our' 50

B: Hurn, Barrass, Shepperd
HB: Rotham, McGovern, Duggan

C: Sheed, Kelly, Gaff
R: Naitanui, Yeo, Redden

HF: Ryan, Darling, Shuey
F: Cripps, JK, Allen

I: Cole, LEdwards, Foley, Jones,

S: Petch/Waterman

Petch unlucky to not jump straight back in with the great form he's had but it's purely a case of too many returning players. Expect him back next game. I think he could be sub but they may also opt to give him WAFL gametime which means Waterman will likely be sub.

Rotham and Cole at the expense of Nelson. Although Nelson could replace Cole if Simmo has a role in mind. I know some aren't so keen on Rotham in here but I think he's a gun (Shep style) in the making.

Shuey to rotate through Centre and HFF. Moreso because this helps keep Foley and LEdwards in the side.

The frustrating thing about it was that we were hanging in against the eventual premiers and were 2-3 goals down for most of the third quarter, just needing that one to break the wall. That then killed everything and Geelong went into cruise control for the rest of the match.
Wonder what he thought when he realised it was Darren Glass leading to him in 'our' 50

Woosh changed things up? Well I never.

Interchange
FBColeBarrassSheppard
HBHurnMcGovernFoleyRotham
CGaffYeoSheedDuggan
HFShueyDarlingCripps
FFAllenKennedyRyanJones
RucksNNKellyReddenL Edwards

My side for clash vs the Doggies.

Defence: Rotham the extra defender to work through the rotations as Sheppard comes in to take his spot in the back 6, Foley stays in on recent form and Nelson goes out.

Midfield: Kelly and Shuey are back, but I'm only putting Kelly on ball. L Edwards retains his spot and Duggan will play mostly midfield as the extra, but move back IF required. Redden remains on the ball as he's been in great form.

Forwards: Shuey to play forward, use his class fwd of centre as he builds. Otherwise mostly unchanged and Jones will be the rotation.

Rucks: Nic to do his 70% TOG in the ruck, and Oscar to do the rest. Darling to take all fwd50 ruck duals.'

I'd like Waterman to play a full game in the reverses, so Langdon can be the medical sub.

This is the beauty of having to play depth (due to injuries) and still finding a way to win.

In reality, the experienced incumbents will take priority. Sure, Foley and Edwards (x2) played well, but there is no way they stay in if Kelly, Shep and Gov and available.

I think LEdwards stays in. He was really quite exceptional last week and if he continues like that he will cement that wing spot as his own within weeks (he's young, so I do expect some inconsistency - but this week he has to stay in).

It means dropping a small forward to accommodate the extra mid - with Shuey/Yeo/Sheed/Kelly to roll through the HFF at times to cover rotations etc.

With so many coming back it will be very hard to justify a dedicated 2nd ruck (albeit Simpson did single Vardy out in his presser as a player who was great in the WAFL). It's my preference to have a makeshift 30% ruckman (or ruckmen - happy for it to be shared around). If that is Oscar then so be it - if others that is fine also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back