Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 19 v Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyons needs to get dropped. No more gifting him games. He has been a liability defensively for a while now and needs to go back and work on that.

The player I think escapes scrutiny is Bailey.

Out of form for a long time and does not defend.

I think he needs to just go forward full-time, can we have him up there full-time?

I’d rather Linc up the ground.
He's the sort of player that can stand up in huge moments and change games. Always attracts a lot of attention from the opposition. Even when he's not getting the footy he's a good decoy imo.

Pressure Quiz

It is the fourth quarter of the 2022 Grand Final. Brisbane are playing Geelong and we are one point up in the last quarter. There is 35 seconds left. Geelong drives the ball to 25 metres out directly in front of their goals. A pack forms. No one can mark but the ball hits the ground and bounces into the hands of a Brisbane defender who us 2 metres clear but has opponents closing.

In this scenario, which Brisbane player would you like to have the ball in hand?

a. Ryan Lester
b. Jack Payne
c. Marcus Adams
https://youtu.be/drUeyYxs1wc

Was this a history quiz?

I said last week doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different outcome was the definition of insanity (Vicki Wilson apparently made that one up when coaching netball). There were changes, (some forced) but the big one was playing Matho in the midfield when it was accepted if Lyons and Neale are there Matho doesn't fit.

This week I'm sawing don't trow the baby out with the bath water. The midfield and clearances were much better, maybe Matho and Fort added to it and a slightly weaker opposition but one with an excellent midfield.

For me Matho and Fort stay, then just work around that Lyons and the midfield stay as was, Berry, Zorko, Prior, IF they come in can go to the wings or where ever but the midfield stays as it was for me. We did a test, it paid off, now let's see if it's works again and bed it down.

Also for me Cockatoo was another experiment, I think he goes well in the backline, I'd like to keep him there for the Suns to get him ready for finals should we need him.

Actually it was this chap:

Bp39zN1IEAAuDlW.jpg

True none the less.

And I do agree with all the posters here who question our midfield structure. We don't have the best midfield going around, especially defensively which makes life hard for the backs.

It's ok not to have the best midfield but then you can't also be predictable. Lethal said it's ok to be predictable as long as you can beat anyone by doing so. You can't be good to mediocre AND predictable. That's a clear impediment to improvement.

Matho really bought something new, unexpected even by most of us and it completely blindsided GWS. Might be a wake-up, shake-up call for the selectors.

Bp39zN1IEAAuDlW.jpg

True none the less.
Actually it wasn't him either. No evidence of him ever saying it.

View attachment 1450594

True none the less.

And I do agree with all the posters here who question our midfield structure. We don't have the best midfield going around, especially defensively which makes life hard for the backs.

It's ok not to have the best midfield but then you can't also be predictable. Lethal said it's ok to be predictable as long as you can beat anyone by doing so. You can't be good to mediocre AND predictable. That's a clear impediment to improvement.

Matho really bought something new, unexpected even by most of us and it completely blindsided GWS. Might be a wake-up, shake-up call for the selectors.

Our selectors and coaches have strong biases. They built a great team and it worked for two years, but opposition have figured us out. The selectors need to challenge those biases.

I imagine this week will be very tough, not just which players to select, but how to structure the team. Well, the midfield mostly, though it obviously impacts the whole team.

Very close to finals, can't win with what we were doing all season, really need to win every game so going for something new will be daunting.

I'm all for it. I'd rather roll the dice and die trying, than go down doing the same old same old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our selectors and coaches have strong biases. They built a great team and it worked for two years, but opposition have figured us out. The selectors need to challenge those biases.

I imagine this week will be very tough, not just which players to select, but how to structure the team. Well, the midfield mostly, though it obviously impacts the whole team.

Very close to finals, can't win with what we were doing all season, really need to win every game so going for something new will be daunting.

I'm all for it. I'd rather roll the dice and die trying, than go down doing the same old same old.

This. I'm 100% behind this - I'd like to see what else we can do that makes us more unpredictable.

In short, Lesterists everywhere support every revolutionary movement against the existing biases, selection processes and order of things.

In all threads and posts, they bring to the front, as the leading question in each, when will Lester get a regular game?

Finally, they labour everywhere for the selection of Lester and agreement of Lions supporters of all states.

The Lesterists disdain to conceal their views and aims. They openly declare that their ends can be attained only by the forcible overthrow of Fagan and the Football Department. Let Fagan tremble at a Lesterist revolution. The Lesterists have nothing to lose but their current third tall. They have a Premiership to win.

- K. Marx and F. Engels The Lesterist Manifesto

I remember Fages saying many times when we were a crap side that we needed to be more predictable ,and by intimation more consistent ,everyone knowing their role ,buying in, knowing what their teammates would do. Or words to that effect.

He cited Hawthorn as being totally predictable in the way that they played ,doing the same thing week in week out.

It certainly works when you're not much good in improving your defensive structures and not getting scored against so much . And obviously when you're just better than the opposition but you want to ensure you're not too lazy and complacent.

Just as an observation it's possible we've overdone that at the expense of surprising the opposition and keeping our own players revitalised and on their toes.

We're not quite good enough for the better teams to know exactly what we're going to do.

I thought Cockatoo playing behind the ball suited him well. Would like to see him get another go at it.

Now that we can see he has the talent for it, going into the VFL and dominating off half back wouldn't be the worst thing for him. Put in strong performances and put pressure on Answerth to perform at a high level.

Now that we can see he has the talent for it, going into the VFL and dominating off half back wouldn't be the worst thing for him. Put in strong performances and put pressure on Answerth to perform at a high level.

We could use Cockatoo's emergence to our advantage and send Rich on a mini-preseason. For whatever reason Rich appears to have lost confidence in kicking darts. If he can't kick darts and can only do conservative kicks to wing, his value comes down dramatically.

He could benefit from a big training phase to improve fitness, lose weight etc and also sharpen his kicking in 2s. A mobile and fit Rich will be lethal come finals next to Coleman. We have the luxury to ask him go away and do exactly that during these last few rounds.

We could use Cockatoo's emergence to our advantage and send Rich on a mini-preseason. For whatever reason Rich appears to have lost confidence in kicking darts. If he can't kick darts and can only do conservative kicks to wing, his value comes down dramatically.

He could benefit from a big training phase to improve fitness, lose weight etc and also sharpen his kicking in 2s. A mobile and fit Rich will be lethal come finals next to Coleman. We have the luxury to ask him go away and do exactly that during these last few rounds.

Rich is interesting. His weapon is that long, hit a twenty cent piece kicks. And that's the first thing to go when hamstring injuries hang around.

If that kick doesn't come back before finals, do we risk playing him? Backs looked great on the weekend, but the upgrade in the midfield certainly helped that.

Tough decisions, and I'm sure the fairytale of a premiership for the loyal, long serving players had an impact on team selection.

Rich is interesting. His weapon is that long, hit a twenty cent piece kicks. And that's the first thing to go when hamstring injuries hang around.

If that kick doesn't come back before finals, do we risk playing him? Backs looked great on the weekend, but the upgrade in the midfield certainly helped that.

Tough decisions, and I'm sure the fairytale of a premiership for the loyal, long serving players had an impact on team selection.

I believe it'll come back if he's given time to perfect it again. I'm not sure if that'll happen in 1s.

We have the luxury to give him time to work on fitness and get his mojo back, I don't know if we'll force him to do it or prioritize playing him in 1s.

We could have an injury free list by this weekend🤞.

Medical room: The full AFL injury list, R19​

Marcus Adams Corked thigh Test
Jarrod Berry Hamstring Test
Jaxon Prior Quad Test
Daniel Rich Hamstring Test
Dayne Zorko Hamstring Test
Updated: July 19, 2022

We could have an injury free list by this weekend🤞.

Medical room: The full AFL injury list, R19​

Marcus AdamsCorked thighTest
Jarrod BerryHamstringTest
Jaxon PriorQuadTest
Daniel RichHamstringTest
Dayne ZorkoHamstringTest
Updated: July 19, 2022

Fully fit list, and fully stressed out selection panel.

Fully fit list, and fully stressed out selection panel.
On the contrary, the selection panel will be elated to have a full list to chose their best 22 from...... probably the first time this season. It would be fair to say a good chunk of BF Posters are the ones becoming "fully stressed" rather than Fages & Co. ;)

The biggest stress factor for all clubs right now is covid. A breakout of covid through any club looking to solidify a spot in the 8 right now would be a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back