Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 19 v Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know everyone thinks I love Ah Chee but just watch him in last weeks game. The pressure he brings via tackling and harassing is in my view elite. Robbo is also good but Ah Chee is quicker and they stick more. Matho likewise added a lot with his pressure on the opposition.

Prior and Ah Chee are automatic selections for me because of their hardness in the contest and if Matho is able to keep replicating his form of last week he is too. Robbo looks just about done to me and I doubt him against the better teams but he's gone better than I thought last 2 weeks and made a case for his spot.
AhChee definitely stays in over Robbo if that is what it comes down to.
His attack on the footy was first class on the weekend and he keeps his feet unlike Robbo.

I said last week doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different outcome was the definition of insanity (Vicki Wilson apparently made that one up when coaching netball). There were changes, (some forced) but the big one was playing Matho in the midfield when it was accepted if Lyons and Neale are there Matho doesn't fit.

This week I'm sawing don't trow the baby out with the bath water. The midfield and clearances were much better, maybe Matho and Fort added to it and a slightly weaker opposition but one with an excellent midfield.

For me Matho and Fort stay, then just work around that Lyons and the midfield stay as was, Berry, Zorko, Prior, IF they come in can go to the wings or where ever but the midfield stays as it was for me. We did a test, it paid off, now let's see if it's works again and bed it down.

Also for me Cockatoo was another experiment, I think he goes well in the backline, I'd like to keep him there for the Suns to get him ready for finals should we need him.

It is going to be hard to pick the side this week. How great is that after the Bombers downer game
They may endeavor to keep the changes to a minimum this week
Not sure of Adams's injury but with his past history i would give him another week
Matho had a great game and going on Fagan's comment he will stay in for this week or longer.
However he will need to reproduce good form at AFL level to keep his spot. Hope he can keep it up.
For me Prior gets a run in the VFL coming back from injury. Robbo has done enough the past 2 weeks to keep his spot this week
Bailey looks out of sorts since covid and Answerth has been bashed around a bit of late so a break for them both won't hurt

Out: Fort.............................. In Oscar or they give him an extra week due to HS Protocols
Out: Bailey (rested/omitted) ... In Zorko
Out: Sharp............................ In J Berry
Out: Answerth (rested/omitted) In Rich

Sub- Out: Fullarton.................. New Sub Fort

Possible Team

Gardiner - Payne - Rich
Starcevich - Andrews - Coleman

Ah Chee - McCluggage - J Berry

Zorko (F/M) - Hippy - McCarthy -
McStay (R/F) - Daniher - Cameron

Oscar - Lyons - Neale

I/C: Rayner (M/F) - Robbo (W) - Matho (M) - Cockatoo (D)

Sub: Fort

Changes this coming week: Matho must stay in for starters.

Rich, Berry and Oscar(?) to come in.

With Zorko: I would manage Zorko for the next 3 weeks to absolutely ensure he fully fit for finals.

I would leave him out until we play the Saints. This gives him 2 H&A games before the finals.

Bailey is a concern - I would manage him for a week. Send him away from football and freshen him up for Richmond.
He has lost his spark. Will do him good.

Fort was good at the weekend but Oscar is ready to come back. Hard decision.

I love Robbo's pressure when he is in the side. Him and Matho gave us this at the weekend.

We need more pressure all over the ground from all players and when tackling make the tackle strong and firm - no breaking free.

Hard team selection this week.
Bailey killed us last fixture.
Think it would be a good game to get him back into form.

Pressure Quiz

It is the fourth quarter of the 2022 Grand Final. Brisbane are playing Geelong and we are one point up in the last quarter. There is 35 seconds left. Geelong drives the ball to 25 metres out directly in front of their goals. A pack forms. No one can mark but the ball hits the ground and bounces into the hands of a Brisbane defender who us 2 metres clear but has opponents closing.

In this scenario, which Brisbane player would you like to have the ball in hand?

a. Ryan Lester
b. Jack Payne
c. Marcus Adams

Last edited:
Pressure Quiz

It is the fourth quarter of the 2022 Grand Final. Brisbane are playing Geelong and we are one point up in the last quarter. There is 35 seconds left. Geelong drives the ball to 25 metres out directly in front a pack forms. No one can mark but the ball hits the ground and bounces into the hands of a Brisbane defender who us 2 metres clear but has opponents closing.

In this scenario, which Brisbane player would you like to have the ball in hand?

a. Ryan Lester
b. Jack Payne
c. Marcus Adams

It's the fourth quarter of the 2022 Grand Final.
Geelong drive it to 25 metres out. The pack forms.

Andrews is on Hawkins
? is on Cameron

Which of these 3 defenders is likely to ensure Cameron doesn't mark it?

It's the fourth quarter of the 2022 Grand Final.
Geelong drive it to 25 metres out. The pack forms.

Andrews is on Hawkins
? is on Cameron

Which of these 3 defenders is likely to ensure Cameron doesn't mark it?
It’s too late for that. The die is cast.

Pressure Quiz

It is the fourth quarter of the 2022 Grand Final. Brisbane are playing Geelong and we are one point up in the last quarter. There is 35 seconds left. Geelong drives the ball to 25 metres out directly in front of their goals. A pack forms. No one can mark but the ball hits the ground and bounces into the hands of a Brisbane defender who us 2 metres clear but has opponents closing.

a. Ryan Lester
b. Jack Payne
c. Marcus Adams
Daniel Rich

Gardiner has one good game in the last 10 or so.

Payne was good on the weekend and Andrews seems to play better when he is in the side.

Adams has looked like he has been carrying for a while and has been playing below par.

Personally I play Payne given he is the future and the others have not looked better than he has.
After his howler a couple of months ago, he played well for a a number of games up to his injury from memory.

To suggest he has played 1 good game in the last 10 is inaccurate IMO.

Still building his way back, but serviceable and important to our structures.

The player I think escapes scrutiny is Bailey.

Out of form for a long time and does not defend.

I think he needs to just go forward full-time, can we have him up there full-time?

I’d rather Linc up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pressure Quiz

a. Ryan Lester
b. Jack Payne
c. Marcus Adams
No brainer. Adams break clear.Lester too slow.Payne Panics.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

good post I like to give Cockatoo another week down back and Rich another rest.
Although apart from Payne or Dizzy the other are locks
So even if Cockatoo does well not sure he replaces anyone

We have the same problem HF where we have lots of options hence we play then in the midfield as part time mids.
Agree can give Cockatoo another week and precautionary an extra week off for Rich. I also in agreement in that I do not believe Cockatoo has shown enough to hold his spot when all available (although I have not watched every VFL game). We have plenty of options down back.

Brisbane Lions Make it Five Straight

Impressive numbers from Ryan Lester in a BOG performance.

Really interesting week for selection, with up to 6 first choice players back.

Zorko in for Cockatoo
Berry in for Robinson
Rich in for Answerth
Big O in for Fort
Adams in for Payne
Prior in for Sharp

Those are my guesses, but Lions coaching could give some players an additional week. Definitely our best 22 if those changes were to happen.

Brisbane Lions Make it Five Straight

Impressive numbers from Ryan Lester in a BOG performance.

what is your opinion (and others here) on what our best back 7 is?

for me i break it down into harris and then 3 needs to be filled

The General - Andrews
Rebounders - Rich, Coleman (Zorko, Michael)
Tall boys - Adams, Payne (Gardiner, Lester, Fullarton(?))
Small boys - Starce, Answerth (Ah Chee, Cockatoo(?), Madden)

those in brackets in order of who would come in if one of the first picks are out

its probably too late for wilmot to get a game this year

Cockatoo and Fullarton havent played much as defenders, but have glimpses they could be worth persisting with in those roles and could work as options

Ah Chee should be starting 22 and used where needed - can fill in backline if needed as indicated here

i dont mind how our backline looks with just 1 rebounder but i dont see the preference to run 2 ending anytime soon. also stops us from being neutered in that area like how we're seeing teams do now with hard clamps on players like Sinclair / Dale / Dawson

i would like to see continuity for our backline coming into finals so theyre rolling as a cohesive unit and the 7 first choices i listed have been our best looking this year to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back