Changes for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...w6pa-1225967231152?from=cricket+australia_rss

"
Slater also backed the return of swing bowler Ben Hilfenhaus, but was against retaining left-arm spinner Xavier Doherty.
"Unfortunately, Xavier Doherty doesn't go to Perth. We've got Nathan Hauritz coming back," Slater said on Channel 9.
"I've got Steve Smith in the squad. I've got (NSW paceman) Mark Cameron in the squad. Doug Bollinger is not that fit (but) I don't think he comes out of the side.
"The dropping of Marcus North, as well ... I know it's his home ground, but I'm not seeing the runs. Hughes comes in to open, Marcus North out, Haddin batting six and Hauritz is in there as well."

Now there's some NSW bias for you....

1. S. Watson
2. P. Hughes
3. R. Ponting
4. M. Hussey
5. M. Clarke
6. U. Khawaja
7. B. Haddin
8. N. Hauritz
9. M. Johnson
10. R. Harris
11. B. Hilfenhaus

12th Man: Bollinger

Now there's some NSW bias for you....

His suggestions aren't really biased.

If Doherty is dropped the only options are Hauritz and O'Keefe. Both are New South Welshmen. Given that O'Keefe wasn't selected at the Gabba and that Hauritz just took a 5fer at the WACA then Hauritz will be selected.

Cameron is a good and inform bowler.

North has to be dropped.

I can't see the selectors going for more than 2 changes, if that, as they don't seem to like the idea of wholescale changes. However, it's their own fault they're in this predicament, as they are so reluctant to make any changes based on form, that all the players they have perservered with questionably, except Hussey, have let them down horribly.

North, Doherty and at least one of Siddle or Bollinger should be out and obviously Katich is forced out. But I think they'll stick with North and both paceman, and bring Hauritz back for Doherty, which completely illustrates the selection philosophy that has allowed the first two tets to go the way they have.

Personally, I'd go:
Watson
Marsh
Ponting
M. Hussey
Clarke
D. Hussey
Haddin
Smith
Harris
Hilfenhaus/Cameron
Copeland

I don't think it's the right time to try youth as far as batting goes, why not D. Hussey? Perennially puts up great numbers in Shield cricket. Can't understand why he doesn't seem to be in contention.

Copeland and Cameron have been in fantastic form. Cameron has the pace to trouble, and Copeland is a very accurate bowler.

my tip is that punter will resign the captaincy after this series and hang about for a few years mentoring clarke, then retire when there is another captaincy option coming through.

I hope to God this does not happen. Ponting is a very poor captain who got by with a great team and great talent. Now being shown up big time. Time to tap him on the shoulder and have him pull a hammy at training because I don't want to have to Punt the Punter. Clarke is not the best option. White can come in for North as it will not make any batting difference and we will have a decent captain but if not bring in Smith and have Hussy captain.

Need to stop blaming players who are trying and blame the failures- selectors, coach and captain. Start at the top and fix it

This would be my team (I know I am dreaming)

Watson
Hussey
Ponting
Clarke
Marsh
Khawaja
Haddin
Smith
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Copeland

Just take a punt on Smith as the spinner, he can only learn
That would be my team as well. We don't have a shield level spinner in the country, let alone test quality spinner. If we have to play one, we should go with Smith - at least we can hope he makes as many runs with the bat as he costs us with the ball.

bit of humour lifted off the independent newpaper

Hall of shame: Australia's saggy greens

Shane Watson The opener seems to have an attention span issue. Keeps getting to 50, forgets he is supposed to go on and make big runs and slaps one to point. To make it worse, he admits he is well aware of the problem but can't sort it.

Simon Katich The tough guy of the team is injured. 35-year-old will be replaced by 3ft 5in Phil Hughes to whom a length ball can seem like a bouncer.

Ricky Ponting A true great, but creaking and under fire from all angles. Can't get a run and keeps being nice about England – that can't be Punter, can it?

Michael Clarke Next captain? Next to be dumped more like. Just dismissed by Pietersen's occasional spin. And then refused to walk.

Mike Hussey OK, Mr Cricket has made a few runs this Ashes but his dismissal yesterday to an ill-advised pull showed a rattled mind.

Marcus North Clings on to his spot not because of his own deeds but because of the lack of alternatives. A complete international batsman he is not. More dangerous with the ball than Xavier Doherty, though.

Brad Haddin No Gilly, but who is? Tough customer has got some runs this Ashes but seems to be constantly irked by the lovable Jimmy Anderson.

Ryan Harris A king pair for 'Rolf' says it all. Australia's best bowler (at 31) but that does not make him an opening bowler (or a No 8 batsman).

Xavier Doherty The oddest pick for Australia in decades. Left-arm spin (!) bowler clearly not up to the job of Test cricket. Brought in to unsettle Kevin Pietersen. 230 runs later ... Also spilt a sitter in the first Test. The sound you hear is Wilfred Rhodes spinning in his grave.

Peter Siddle Honest toiler who did snatch a hat-trick in Brisbane but that was deceptive. He can bowl all day and can also go that long without taking a wicket.

Doug Bollinger Doug the Rug himself, the man with the follicle transplant. Bowling was all over the show. Had a dreadful match – should be tearing his hair out.

Silly question here..

Why does Australia need to pick a spinner for??? :confused::confused::confused:
There's no spinner who is worthy enough of playing for Australia.

Put some life in the pitches in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney, and get G.Swann out of the equation.

Personally, I'd like to see McDonald get another go but i know that wishful thinking as he doesn't play for NSW.

BRING BACK STUART CLARK:p

Here is the problem.

Check out some of those stats... it isn't very hopefull.

Sure, there is Khawaja... let's take it as a given that he'll get a spot.

Then we have Hussey... who is averaging a touch over 40, which is good but not spectacular. And he is already 33, so not exactly a long term option.

Blizzard, who looks to have potential... but has only played 7 matches and is very inexperienced.

McDonald... who is injured.

Marsh... who seems to have hit some form, but has only played two first class matches this year.

Take notices of Hughes and Smith, whose names appear way down the bottom of the list. IMHO, if there is a batting vacancy up for grabs, Khawaja should be first choice, followed by Marsh. But they really are the best of a pretty bad bunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be my team as well. We don't have a shield level spinner in the country, let alone test quality spinner. If we have to play one, we should go with Smith - at least we can hope he makes as many runs with the bat as he costs us with the ball.

Haha! Good one Vaydos!

O'Keefe burger.

Silly question here..

Why does Australia need to pick a spinner for??? :confused::confused::confused:
There's no spinner who is worthy enough of playing for Australia.

Put some life in the pitches in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney, and get G.Swann out of the equation.

Personally, I'd like to see McDonald get another go but i know that wishful thinking as he doesn't play for NSW.

BRING BACK STUART CLARK:p

Quicks aren't that good either. Some of the one's in the team aren't any better than our spinners (exlcuding Doherty, who was terrible).

McDonald doesn't sound a bad idea though except he's injured.

If i could I bat McDonald at 6, Smith at 8 and bowl Harris, Copeland and Starc as our quicks.

My XI would be:

Watson
Hussey
Ponting
Khawaja
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

4 seamers, North as the spin option on his home deck. Yes, he can't bat, but he is good with the ball and was played by WA as the #1 spinner for a while at the WACA.

bit of humour lifted off the independent newpaper

Hall of shame: Australia's saggy greens

Shane Watson The opener seems to have an attention span issue. Keeps getting to 50, forgets he is supposed to go on and make big runs and slaps one to point. To make it worse, he admits he is well aware of the problem but can't sort it.

Simon Katich The tough guy of the team is injured. 35-year-old will be replaced by 3ft 5in Phil Hughes to whom a length ball can seem like a bouncer.

Ricky Ponting A true great, but creaking and under fire from all angles. Can't get a run and keeps being nice about England – that can't be Punter, can it?

Michael Clarke Next captain? Next to be dumped more like. Just dismissed by Pietersen's occasional spin. And then refused to walk.

Mike Hussey OK, Mr Cricket has made a few runs this Ashes but his dismissal yesterday to an ill-advised pull showed a rattled mind.

Marcus North Clings on to his spot not because of his own deeds but because of the lack of alternatives. A complete international batsman he is not. More dangerous with the ball than Xavier Doherty, though.

Brad Haddin No Gilly, but who is? Tough customer has got some runs this Ashes but seems to be constantly irked by the lovable Jimmy Anderson.

Ryan Harris A king pair for 'Rolf' says it all. Australia's best bowler (at 31) but that does not make him an opening bowler (or a No 8 batsman).

Xavier Doherty The oddest pick for Australia in decades. Left-arm spin (!) bowler clearly not up to the job of Test cricket. Brought in to unsettle Kevin Pietersen. 230 runs later ... Also spilt a sitter in the first Test. The sound you hear is Wilfred Rhodes spinning in his grave.

Peter Siddle Honest toiler who did snatch a hat-trick in Brisbane but that was deceptive. He can bowl all day and can also go that long without taking a wicket.

Doug Bollinger Doug the Rug himself, the man with the follicle transplant. Bowling was all over the show. Had a dreadful match – should be tearing his hair out.
Holy Carp Harris is 31, I thought we were in for a good bowler for 5-10 years, buggggeerrr

My XI would be:

Watson
Hussey
Ponting
Khawaja
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

4 seamers, North as the spin option on his home deck. Yes, he can't bat, but he is good with the ball and was played by WA as the #1 spinner for a while at the WACA.

Then bat North at 8 instead of Johnson.

There is no way Johnson can possibly get selected.
Needs at least a good half season of consistent shield performances.

Quicks aren't that good either. Some of the one's in the team aren't any better than our spinners (exlcuding Doherty, who was terrible).

McDonald doesn't sound a bad idea though except he's injured.

If i could I bat McDonald at 6, Smith at 8 and bowl Harris, Copeland and Starc as our quicks.
Starc is both injured and averages 35 in first class cricket, he's not that good.

My XI would be:
Watson
Hussey
Ponting
Khawaja
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

As long as North is in the top 6 the only thing relevant when selecting him is his batting. We aren't good enough to have a dud at 6 because he can bowl some handy off spin.

As long as North is in the top 6 the only thing relevant when selecting him is his batting. We aren't good enough to have a dud at 6 because he can bowl some handy off spin.
There aren't any other form batsmen in the country to replace him, that have experience. Marsh has only played a few games.. so unless you bring in McDonald then you have no one left.. and given that we already have Watson as the 5th seamer, there is no point having Ronald in the team.

Been a bit skeptical, but I would love to see these:

OUTS:

Simon Katich (Injured)
Marcus North (Omitted)
Peter Siddle (Omitted)
Xavier Doherety (Omitted)

INS:

Phillip Hughes
Steve Smith
Mitch Johnson
Nathan Hauritz

OK, my reasoning.

Phillip Hughes - Best available, the 'next big thing' in Australian cricket, so he will be played.

Steve Smith - People have been calling for him to play, as much as I would love for Khawaja to play, could we potentially pick Smith as a batting all rounder that can bowl a few overs?

Mitch Johnson - We ain't winning the ashes without him, simple as that!!

Nathan Hauritz - Best spinner we have in the country, took a 5 - fa, so showed the selectors up with that, and then backed it up with a First Class century.

Any ways, my test XI:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting (Captain)
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Smith
Hauritz
Johnson
Hauritz
Bollinger

12th man: Peter Siddle

Holy Carp Harris is 31, I thought we were in for a good bowler for 5-10 years, buggggeerrr

With his injury record, we'll be lucky to have him the entire series.

It doesn't look good. How do the coach, captain and support staff get the players to believe that they can win? That is the problem, they obviously don't. You can't blame them for that, I think Mohali kicked any stuffing that was left out of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back