Changes for Swans - early thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Dawes was quite good and is gaining confidence, yes he didnt kick any goals but marked and tackled strongly. The only problem I have with him is his agility to pick up the ball cleanly he seems to go down easily when there are others around me

And while Leigh Brown has been good for the past few months, he was quite poor in defence today - our only player you'd say who had a bad game today. Leon had a quite one and still kicked 4 :p

It does nothing to allay my concerns that he will do something stupid in a final at a crucial time that will cost us an important goal - he's just that sort of player. I reckon N. Brown needs to be brought back in before finals and Leigh Brown to be used as a depth player only when needed, thats why we drafted him right??

For next week though I dont think Nathan Brown would have a match up??

So would be quite happy with only one change to bring Fraser back. However - who to drop??? I dont want it to be Dawes, he deserves another game

I reckon it's too early too speculate. Wait till the VFL have played.
And if we are going to play St Kilda in the finals, Reid has got to be given a run sometime because he offers our best chance of combatting Riewolt. Nathan Brown could play forward, becoming a straight swap for Dawes. Fraser can play a CHF sort of role if both he and Wood play. McCarthy is on his way back. Clarke is a great back up if he can recapture form. Our depth in most areas is looking pretty good.

You serious hes not playing good footy hes playing crap he was our WOG probably got 3 or 4 goals kicked on him

The first time I saw the game I thought he played ok but after watching the replay I agree he played crap. So it might open the door for N.Brown a little but still doubt it as MM loves him

In: Rocca Fraser Brown
Out: Brown Dawes Dick

We'll see what he can do against the bogey. He might be that insperation that Jack and Cloke need to get into gear.

In: Fraser Rocca
Out: Dawes Dick

We need to give Rocca at least 2 weeks before the finals to see if the 3 tall forwards will work in the same forward line.

If it works then he keeps his spot for the finals. If not, then Brad Dick comes back in and we go for the tried and tested smaller forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the matchups

White - Presti
Micky O - Goldsack if fit
Goodes - O'Brien

I'd run a fwd tag of Benny Johnson on R.Shaw.

My changes would be:
In: Goldsack, Fraser
Out: L.Brown, Toovey

TEAM:

B. H.Shaw Presti Goldsack
HB. Maxwell O'Brien Lockyer
C. Wellingham Swan Thomas
HF. Beams Cloke Johnson
F. Davis Anthony Fraser
Foll: Wood Pendles Didak

I/c: Medhurst, Obree, Dawes, Dick

If Dick is injured go with McCarthy (if he shows some form in the 2's) or Clarke

If Fraser and Wood play together as they should then it should come down to who is the better defender out of L. Brown and N. Brown. We wont need Leigh as a back up ruckman or forward given both ruckman could have a run down there.

So you would think Dawes would go out for Fraser and If Nathan Brown comes in Leigh Brown should go out. Rocca should not get a look in until he plays 85% of the game in the seconds and kicks 6 goals plus and takes 10 marks plus. If he cant do that in the seconds then he will be no good for us in the ones.

I'll start...

In: N Brown, Fraser, Clarke
Out: L Brown, Johnson, Dawes.

Quite a few of the boys looked really tired toward the end, but I would expect that would be due to being in a heavy training phase in the lead up to the finals. May look to rest one or two over the next two weeks, though.

L Brown, Johnson and Dawes? ok.

TBH the only person I'd be taking out of the side is Toovey, bring in Fraser and keep Wood in the side.

OUT: Dawes, Medhurst.
IN: Fraser, McCarthy.

Sorry Meds, but you've been crap of late. Get some form in time for a finals return.

A few nice selection headaches.

The experts these days say if you spend a month on the sidelines you need a game in the 2's first up, but we're up against Jolly. Wood has been fantastic, but he'll work him over.

And if Rocca is to have an impact this year, he needs to come in this week.

Hard decisions to make.

With the Swans playing well of late we cant go into this game trying different things like bringing in Rocca. If and when we win against the swans and the if the Bulldogs lose to the cats next week and third spot is done and dust for us then make some chances. It would be great to be able to rest a few players in the last game. I don't mean drop them but it could mean Obree plays forward for most of the game or Didak. Swan could sweep across half back like in the Adelaide game.

It looks like we will play on Saturday night in the first final so to give our players a break of some sort could be good for us. It could also give us a chance to see how Rocca is going against one of the best fullbacks in Lake. The only change should be Fraser in for dawes and the Browns swap if Nathan is fit.

OUT: Dawes, Medhurst.
IN: Fraser, McCarthy.

Sorry Meds, but you've been crap of late. Get some form in time for a finals return.

You can't be serious.

How can Medhurst playing in the 2's possibly be any help to him, or us?

He is coming off a serious injury and needs match fitness before the finals. Every week you can see him gaining form and fitness.

IMO he is our most important player in the finals, he can potentially win us a GF off his own boot

As for inclusions next week, don't mess with a winning team:

IN: Fraser
OUT: Dawes

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Swans - early thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back