Changes for Swans - early thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

The most obvious change is Dawes for Fraser. There were some indications that Anthony got injured and Dick too. If thats the case, then Sidebottom and Rocca can come in. Clarke did nothing in the VFL. Nathan Brown did nothing too.

In 40 years of watching football, I cant think of a time when we have had this much depth. The club has done a great job. The only thing that will stop us winning a premiership in the next few years is a loss of patience and in-fighting.

The most obvious change is Dawes for Fraser. There were some indications that Anthony got injured and Dick too. If thats the case, then Sidebottom and Rocca can come in. Clarke did nothing in the VFL. Nathan Brown did nothing too.

In 40 years of watching football, I cant think of a time when we have had this much depth. The club has done a great job. The only thing that will stop us winning a premiership in the next few years is a loss of patience and in-fighting.

What's this?:eek:

Jack Anthony looked like he got a bit of leg injury during the game. It wasnt as obvious as Dick but something appeared to happen to him. I just thought they might want to give him a rest. They will probably give Dick a rest and get Sidebottom in.

Timmy; I only chose Dick as he was struggling with his shoulder.

Rocca comes in for Rocca. Big burly contested marking full forward!

Did you watch last nights game between Saints & Bombers?

In that last quarter, Saint Kilda was literally just bombing it long with Kosi & Roo taking contested marks.

Invaluable when a game is in the balance and everyone's knackered!

Sure but you need a balanced line-up. If Rocca comes in it has to be at the expense of a taller player. Possibly Medhurst, but he's a current AA player and got some x factor we'll need in September. And he's not exactly a tall anyway.

With Fraser due back this week I cant possibly see how we can also bring Rocca in without making the side too top heavy. Not unless we drop Wood as well as Dawes.

Something definately happened with Cloke. He was lying flat on his back and the tiger player had his hand on Cloke's face, before pulling it away quickly and aggresively remonstrating with Cloke. The video is pretty inconclusive so it would have to rely on the evidence from the players involved.

That's what happens when you stick your fingers in someone's mouth

This game appears to be a low key affair. Compared to the last month this game has no real emphasis. Sydney are now out of the finals race (probably) and we are fairly assured a top 4 position.

Last week was Bowden and L. Brown's game. The week before we were in Adelaide playing for 3rd. The 2 weeks before that were both against top 8 sides. This week we are on Sunday arvo against Sydney at the MCG. A pretty "normal" game. This is what worries me. We have the wood over Sydney lately which would mean we are confident and expect to win. It wont happen if we just run through the motions.

I expect our senior players to show the way on Sunday. I hope they are prepared for a tough hard game because we know that Sydney will be.

We really need to be trying to steamroll every team - I mean attempting to absolutely demoralise and blow away the opposition leading up to the finals. We want to give the Saints and Geelong pause for thought. We'll still be the underdogs if we make the GF and that will suit us down to the ground. Nothing to lose and everything to win in terms of an awesome foundation for the next 10 years.

We really need to be trying to steamroll every team - I mean attempting to absolutely demoralise and blow away the opposition leading up to the finals. We want to give the Saints and Geelong pause for thought. We'll still be the underdogs if we make the GF and that will suit us down to the ground. Nothing to lose and everything to win in terms of an awesome foundation for the next 10 years.

I'd say we have something to lose....

...in terms of reputations. If we lost we'd all be gutted, but no-one would say we blew it but that we are on the cusp of being a new powerhouse. Naturally we want to win though.

I think we need to pay less attention to vfl games played in conditions that even our top 3 or 4 players will struggle in. Clarke and to a lesser extent N.Brown have proven themselves on the big stage and when the right match up presents itself they should be in the side. Clarke has played well against the swans before so I think he is a chance to replace Dick. Totally agree with the depth...

Damned good thing us posters have no effect then...:D

Only seen every game since 1976 but have to agree. Don't remember Barry Price era but do for Ronny Wearmouth and from 2011 (when we'll have lost O'B, Johno and Tarks), we may never see a mid-field rotation in our lives like:
1. Pendles
2. Swan
3. Dids
4. Davis
5. Beams
6. Wello
7. Sidey
8. J Mac
9. Clark
10. Thomas
11. Tooves (run with)
12. Rookies/NSWs/new draftees

Only seen every game since 1976 but have to agree. Don't remember Barry Price era but do for Ronny Wearmouth and from 2011 (when we'll have lost O'B, Johno and Tarks), we may never see a mid-field rotation in our lives like:
1. Pendles
2. Swan
3. Dids
4. Davis
5. Beams
6. Wello
7. Sidey
8. J Mac
9. Clark
10. Thomas
11. Tooves (run with)
12. Rookies/NSWs/new draftees

I agree... Our midfiled is looking very very special. in the next couple of years it could be one of the great midfields of all time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daws out for Fraser is the only change we need to make, provided there are no injuries. Wood has proven himself over the past month and Fraser can easily give the team more than Dawes can at this stage. If Wood plays well it'll take the pressure of Fraser and he could possibly become a forward option if required.

I would like to see Clarke being given a run before finals to see where he's at. His form really dropped off earlier in the year and maybe he's lacking some confidence or just missing home. Would hate to see him lost to the game as he can be a potential champion for us.

It's not too clear who he'd come in for though. L. Brown was awful last week but MM obviously loves him and they're two different players. I'd think maybe Toovs or Johnson out for Clarke. Neither really deserve it, but it'd be worth it to run the form line over Clarke before the finals.

In: Fraser, Rocca
Out: Dawes, Brown or Toovey

Rocca needs to be eased into the finals. Playing Sydney and Bulldogs is perfect. He has a good record against both teams.

A fit Rocca is essentail in finals. Anyone who can't see that has issues.

He is a MASSIVE target that will almost ALWAYS require two defenders. Which means by the time you have to work out who takes Medhurst and Dick, you're down to your C grade defenders.

It then gives the midfielders MORE confidence to get it down there quick, even to a contest, knowing Pebs is down there.

A fit Rocca is a REQUIREMENT, not an option.

Rocca needs to be eased into the finals. Playing Sydney and Bulldogd is perfect. He has a good record against both teams.

He is a MASSIVE target that will almost ALWAYS require two defenders. Which means by the time you have to work out who takes Medhurst and Dick, you're down to your C grade defenders.

It then gives the midfielders MORe confidence to get it down there wuick, even to a contest, knowing Pebs is down there.

Our defence and our midfield have been our 2 best areas this season and our forward line has been dynamic and has kicked plenty of goals.

Fraser's a must in our 22 and Dawes is an obvious out but to drop Brown or Toovey without bringing in another defender is ridiculous. If Brown goes out, we bring in the other Brown or our defence becomes too short. If Toovey goes out (which he shouldn't) and we don't bring in another small defender, Shaw's role becomes a purely defensive one, we become weaker defensively and we lose most of our run - also ridiculous.

Rocca can play an important role for our team if he's in but the question is whether we can fit him in. We can't drop a midfielder because we have shown a couple of times we can lose our run pretty dramatically in last quarters. To drop a defender for Rocca is plain stupid because we will become less defensive in forward 50 because Rocca gives none of this and our defence will be weaker. The ONLY player who could go out without weakening one of our lines is Dick and that's because we decide Rocca gives us more. OR we drop Wood, which is back to the old "Pies get smashed in Finals because they only had one ruckman" thing - that should not happen. Thomas is another option but we all know he won't be dropped and he appears to be building at the moment. His talent is precious and he can do anything.

Personally I think Dick gives us a more dynamic look in the forward and the release of Didak and Davis to the midfield has been one of our biggest points of improvement this season. If Dick goes out one of those two must play primarily forward. Yes Rocca can take a pack mark, yes he can draw multiple defenders but he doesn't kick enough goals to justify the losses we will incur in other areas of our team to accommodate him, i.e. interchageability of forward line, defensive pressure, weakened defence, possible loss of midfielder, etc. Put simply, he doesn't fit into our gameplan.

Our defence and our midfield have been our 2 best areas this season and our forward line has been dynamic and has kicked plenty of goals.

Fraser's a must in our 22 and Dawes is an obvious out but to drop Brown or Toovey without bringing in another defender is ridiculous. If Brown goes out, we bring in the other Brown or our defence becomes too short. If Toovey goes out (which he shouldn't) and we don't bring in another small defender, Shaw's role becomes a purely defensive one, we become weaker defensively and we lose most of our run - also ridiculous.

Rocca can play an important role for our team if he's in but the question is whether we can fit him in. We can't drop a midfielder because we have shown a couple of times we can lose our run pretty dramatically in last quarters. To drop a defender for Rocca is plain stupid because we will become less defensive in forward 50 because Rocca gives none of this and our defence will be weaker. The ONLY player who could go out without weakening one of our lines is Dick and that's because we decide Rocca gives us more. OR we drop Wood, which is back to the old "Pies get smashed in Finals because they only had one ruckman" thing - that should not happen. Thomas is another option but we all know he won't be dropped and he appears to be building at the moment. His talent is precious and he can do anything.

Personally I think Dick gives us a more dynamic look in the forward and the release of Didak and Davis to the midfield has been one of our biggest points of improvement this season. If Dick goes out one of those two must play primarily forward. Yes Rocca can take a pack mark, yes he can draw multiple defenders but he doesn't kick enough goals to justify the losses we will incur in other areas of our team to accommodate him, i.e. interchageability of forward line, defensive pressure, weakened defence, possible loss of midfielder, etc. Put simply, he doesn't fit into our gameplan.

I understand what you're saying, but there's one key flaw in your theory.

In the real world, Leigh Brown wouldn't be a loss. Between now and the last day in September, there is no one that Leigh Brown would be required to play on, that he even COULD play on properly.

He's done his job, he's filled in as a utility to fill in holes and play back up ruck while Fraser was injured or Wood wasn't up for it. We have both Fraser back, and Wood playing well.

Time for Pebs to take his place and win us the flag he cost us in 03.

I understand what you're saying, but there's one key flaw in your theory.

In the real world, Leigh Brown wouldn't be a loss. Between now and the last day in September, there is no one that Leigh Brown would be required to play on, that he even COULD play on properly.

He's done his job, he's filled in as a utility to fill in holes and play back up ruck while Fraser was injured or Wood wasn't up for it. We have both Fraser back, and Wood playing well.

Time for Pebs to take his place and win us the flag he cost us in 03.

I see where you're coming from also but I'm not even pushing for L Brown to stay in the team (although I think he should). I think that outside Presti we don't have a genuinely tall defender and we need another one. Whether that's L Brown or N Brown I think we can't afford to have neither. Although we belted Carlton that game was stagnant for 2 quarters and a lot of that time, Carlton were pressing us. Having the extra tall in L Brown was the main reason we were still ahead when the avalanche started. He was the best player on the ground through most of that period and if we were behind at the end of it, we may not have clicked like that. This is obviously an exception and he isn't a champion but our defence is solid because we have a tall spine, 2 quality versatile mid-sizers and two smalls - Shaw being the runner and Toovey the blanketer. It means we can combat multiple types of forward lines and are not caught out when teams rest ruckmen up forward. With one of the Browns in the team and Wood rucking, it means we can actually do that to another team for a change.

Rocca needs to be eased into the finals. Playing Sydney and Bulldogs is perfect. He has a good record against both teams.

It then gives the midfielders MORE confidence to get it down there quick, even to a contest, knowing Pebs is down there.

Most definitely!

Fraser in for Dawes
Rocca in for Dick

100% on the money you dont mess with a winning team we have won 11 out of 12 we are doing something right

The problem is, everyone is ASSUMING Rocca will upset the balance.

He wont.

Cloke and Anthony play up the field a lot anyway. And SO many times this year we've seen our mids have to hold the ball up waiting for our forwards to run back inside 50.

Rocca would not be moving from that square. It's no issueif his man comes down field. The way our defense zones up will more than cover that extra man.

I doubt too many sides would dare leave Rocca sitting all alone in an open 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Swans - early thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back