Changes for the first test V West Indies

Remove this Banner Ad

Some interesting language from Coulter-Nile when talking to the media. When asked about taking them lightly he responded along the lines of "it's my first test so I certainly won't be".

I'm pretty sure he's been 12th man before hasn't he? Perhaps in Melbourne...

Depends which one...the one that bowled against England in Australia or the one who has bowled average at best for 12 months. Do feel his bowling was coming to the end anyway. Just wasn't the same venom as it was 12 month prior.

Binga had a similar run through at 32 (in 2008) and ripped every team to shreds. Never really slowed down, nor did Johnson, but no matter how fit age will catch up.

Binga had a similar run through at 32 (in 2008) and ripped every team to shreds. Never really slowed down, nor did Johnson, but no matter how fit age will catch up.

Agreed. Unfortunately age catches up with everyone, it did with Johnson unfortunately.

Pattinson confirmed in.

Marsh to remain at 6 but it sounds as though Smith is putting the pressure on him. "He's there to do a job, to make runs for the team". That should be the number one priority for a number 6 and he's yet to do it. I'm glad they didn't shuffle the batting order around to suit him.

lets face it if he can't make runs vs the WI attack then he needs to go. Might as well find out now.

lets face it if he can't make runs vs the WI attack then he needs to go. Might as well find out now.

That is if he gets a bat. Hope he makes a big score though, his bowling is invaluable.

Still think this windies bowling might get us in trouble a few times in the series, they aren't awful but no matter what they do the batsmen will lose it for them.

Guess it's a bit like us in england, the bowlers cop a fair bit of shit yet what can they do when the batsmen have already lost the match in a session?

Still amazes me how much flak Hazlewood copped over that series.

Kemar Roach averages 28
Jerome Taylor averages 33
Carlos Braithwaite has a f/c average of 21 (yet to play Tests)
Bishoo has an average of 38 - which should be lower on talent.
Holder averages 33

It's a pretty decent attack, it's better than the NZ attack on stats and its a lot better than the Indian attack out here last summer.

Kemar Roach averages 28
Jerome Taylor averages 33
Carlos Braithwaite has a f/c average of 21 (yet to play Tests)
Bishoo has an average of 38 - which should be lower on talent.
Holder averages 33

It's a pretty decent attack, it's better than the NZ attack on stats and its a lot better than the Indian attack out here last summer.

It's decent. Regardless of what stats say I think they are a fair way beneath the Kiwi bunch and on par with the Indians in our conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was anyone really expecting Mitch Marsh to be dropped?

Johnson retired after Perth. Starc is injured. We've brought in Pattinson who is about as durable as Bruce Reid. And we're worried about needing to rest Hazlewood.

Marsh took 7 wickets @ 30 against NZ. Not a chance the selectors are going to drop him on those numbers when our bowling line-up loses a member every other test. And he's a Marsh FFS. He'll get 200 chances. I just want to see him spend a decent amount of time in the middle.

The Mitch Marsh call would have been a team balance one. You could argue his spot as the third paceman, but is he really the third best pace bowler in Australia? Of course, the answer is no. Then you must ask, is he really a good enough batsman to hold down a number 6 spot, and once again, the answer is no. His spot in the team relies upon him scoring runs, and he's not doing that.

The Mitch Marsh call would have been a team balance one. You could argue his spot as the third paceman,

Not with a straight face you couldn't.

but is he really the third best pace bowler in Australia? Of course, the answer is no.

Was it ever up for debate?

Then you must ask, is he really a good enough batsman to hold down a number 6 spot, and once again, the answer is no.

Steve Waugh passed 50 twice in his first 10 tests and didn't set the world on fire when he moved to #6. Some players take time, and the selectors clearly view Marsh as a long term prospect otherwise he wouldn't have been picked in the first place.

How many quality batsmen are there running around in the Shield who have already proven they can take wickets at test level? If Marsh was to go out of the team the selectors would only bring in Faulkner or Maxwell or someone else who doesn't really scream top 6 batsman. We've had an all rounder obsession for over a decade and it's not going away.

If we lose another quick then we'll bring in Coulter-Nile. Then the next guy. And the next. Marsh is zero chance of being picked 8-11.

His spot in the team relies upon him scoring runs, and he's not doing that.

Well he's not making runs and is still in the team, so I'd contend his spot in the team is dependent on factors other than just scoring runs.

Johnson retired after Perth. Starc is injured. We've brought in Pattinson who is about as durable as Bruce Reid. And we're worried about needing to rest Hazlewood.

Marsh took 7 wickets @ 30 against NZ. Not a chance the selectors are going to drop him on those numbers when our bowling line-up loses a member every other test. And he's a Marsh FFS. He'll get 200 chances. I just want to see him spend a decent amount of time in the middle.
Seems like the only argument Marsh has, is that our bowlers are likely to get injured. Call me old fashioned but I like to see a test number 6 make runs. Any wickets on top of that are a bonus.

I did not expect him to get dropped, but I don't believe he deserves his spot. One fifty in 18 innings is terrible.

How many quality batsmen are there running around in the Shield who have already proven they can take wickets at test level? If Marsh was to go out of the team the selectors would only bring in Faulkner or Maxwell or someone else who doesn't really scream top 6 batsman. We've had an all rounder obsession for over a decade and it's not going away.

Agar over M.Marsh makes a lot of sense.

Seems like the only argument Marsh has, is that our bowlers are likely to get injured. Call me old fashioned but I like to see a test number 6 make runs. Any wickets on top of that are a bonus.

I did not expect him to get dropped, but I don't believe he deserves his spot. One fifty in 18 innings is terrible.

No. The number 6 in the test team MUST be an all rounder. That's how it works now.

Shane Watson averaged 30 for years and barely bowled. Don't hold your breath waiting for the next Voges/Burns to come in and bat at 6.

Except that Agar is a spinner and we don't tend to play a second spinner unless the test is on a goat paddock.

I'm sure Agar will get another chance soon enough. If he makes another 100 he'll probably replace Lyon.

Mitch Marsh isn't a seamer either - he's a stock bowler - Agar and Marsh could do the same, you'd get more out of Agar as a bat and in the field.

There bowling is neck and neck for mine in terms of effectiveness.

There bowling is neck and neck for mine in terms of effectiveness.

Not at test level it isn't . Marsh is 100 times more penetrating at test level at this stage. Agar has potential but he needs more wickets. Runs are a bonus, and he isn't a top 6 bat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for the first test V West Indies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back