Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - GRAND FINAL vs. Brisbane MCG, 2:30pm Sat 30/09

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus he was linking up handball chains through he middle and drilling goals from 50 in the GC game. Hes not the worst

Like, I'm well aware he's not a star or anything

But he's a perfectly capable role player who at bare minimum is a match for McStay physically. In fact, he's taller/bigger than McStay.

So as long as we keep his focus/role simple, we should be fine with him in the side. Many will point to the Marvel game as an example of him not doing well at full back. I reckon he did fine. He was forcing Daniher to pull goals from his ass on the boundary and outside 50, which is one of the main things you ask of your key backs.

Billy can't help it Daniher decided that game would be the one where he kicks them from literally anywhere on the ground.

They've beaten us the last 7 games in a row.

Each time, Cameron, Daniher, and even Hipwood have gotten a hold of us, and even Raynor smashed us this year. We have shown to be generally vulnerable against teams with big forwards, and Brisbane have a couple of rippers.

Not only that, but Neale, Zorko, Dunkley is a great inside midfield, and McCluggage and Berry are good wings. And their half backs showed a lot last week in Colemen and the Irishman. And we all know about Andrews...

On paper they have us. The x factor for us is the MCG and the potential crowd-factor if we can get significant outnumber of vocal support on the day
I am less than confident about this game, particularly since losing McStay. Their forward line is potent, whereas we go into the game missing a vital tall piece and with 3 small forwards who really failed to fire last week. All this talk about having a make shift setup with the rucks or with Howe playing forward and then relying on the small forwards to feed off crumbs does little to boost my confidence. To be honest, I am surprised we are favourites to win. We have nothing to lose by taking a chance and playing Kreuger.

Yeah true. I guess the key is midfield pressure. If we are hack kicking it forward andrews will have a field day. Likewise for us Moore etc
TBH I don't think McStay is suited to coping with Andrews either. One advantage we might have is that we'll be more prepared to enter with chaos balls when the defence is set and the rucks aren't in the hotspot yet.

I don’t think anyone thinks Krueger is awesome, rather preferable to frampton. Frampton isn’t much of a forward and defenders would sag off him, while Krueger is more athletic and they wouldn’t be able to sit off him as much. Is that good enough? I don’t think so, you want proven performers in a granny and neither are that imo. As much as I joke about Krueger the wreaking ball, I wouldn’t be selecting either of them. Id go with a smaller forward line.

Plan A, bring ginni into the 22, noble to sub (I have my doubts about Adams getting up from a hammy in 15 days). We like to move the ball fast and it’s usually our smalls that do the damage, our talls only come into it on slow plays, in which case there’s ample time for a ruck to push forward to give an aerial contest.

Plan B, use one of our rucks forward if necessary, not ideal as neither are great forwards and the big O looks banged up and I think we can work him over to get an advantage.

Plan C, move Howe forward, my least preferred option is to mess with our defence, our defence won our first two finals and will have a big say on the result of this match.

McStay going down isn’t ideal he was hitting good form, but we’re not a side that relies on bags from our big forwards and can work around his absence. So I’d start with a smaller forward line and adjust if necessary.

Anyway I’m no expert on this, just my 2 cents.

You could charge more than 2 cents for that, absolute quality

#knowyourworth

I am less than confident about this game, particularly since losing McStay. Their forward line is potent, whereas we go into the game missing a vital tall piece and with 3 small forwards who really failed to fire last week. All this talk about having a make shift setup with the rucks or with Howe playing forward and then relying on the small forwards to feed off crumbs does little to boost my confidence. To be honest, I am surprised we are favourites to win. We have nothing to lose by taking a chance and playing Kreuger.
Re the bolded, I was surprised too. But I think it has a lot to do with Collingwood supporters putting their money where their mouths are in backing the Pies, which causes the bookies to shorten our odds, whereas there isn't as much money coming from the Lions supporters for their team.

It's actually insane at this point

"Melbourne are the in form team of the competition. Not sure how Collingwood can beat them the way they're playing. The stats say Collingwood sucks"

Collingwood beats Melbourne

"GWS are the in form team of the competition. Not sure how Collingwood can stop them the way they're playing. The stats say Collingwood sucks"

Collingwood beats GWS

"Brisbane have so many weapons. The only question mark is the MCG. But they're in as good a position as they've ever been to win it. I'm not sure how Collingwood kicks a big enough score to beat them"

Like bro...stop. At some point just admit up front you don't want Collingwood to win so we understand the logic behind your train of thought.
Not sure week one but King definitely tipped us to win against GWS

I don’t think anyone thinks Krueger is awesome, rather preferable to frampton. Frampton isn’t much of a forward and defenders would sag off him, while Krueger is more athletic and they wouldn’t be able to sit off him as much. Is that good enough? I don’t think so, you want proven performers in a granny and neither are that imo. As much as I joke about Krueger the wreaking ball, I wouldn’t be selecting either of them. Id go with a smaller forward line.

Plan A, bring ginni into the 22, noble to sub (I have my doubts about Adams getting up from a hammy in 15 days). We like to move the ball fast and it’s usually our smalls that do the damage, our talls only come into it on slow plays, in which case there’s ample time for a ruck to push forward to give an aerial contest.

Plan B, use one of our rucks forward if necessary, not ideal as neither are great forwards and the big O looks banged up and I think we can work him over to get an advantage.

Plan C, move Howe forward, my least preferred option is to mess with our defence, our defence won our first two finals and will have a big say on the result of this match.

McStay going down isn’t ideal he was hitting good form, but we’re not a side that relies on bags from our big forwards and can work around his absence. So I’d start with a smaller forward line and adjust if necessary.

Anyway I’m no expert on this, just my 2 cents.
I think you've nailed it - except Adams will play and slay

TBH I don't think McStay is suited to coping with Andrews either. One advantage we might have is that we'll be more prepared to enter with chaos balls when the defence is set and the rucks aren't in the hotspot yet.
might have to ...richmond won the 2017 premiership doing that..small forwards and only Jack as tall..lots off chaos balls and helicopter kicks inside 50 against Hartigan lever and Tahlia ..worked a treat

King hasn’t picked us to win in any finals so far. Also not surprised with Gerard. He looked so salty on Friday night after we won. All the SEN commentators did except Whateley.
He picked us in the prelim

Love this.

I’d add Howe to the hungry list.

And I hope like hell that Adams gets up. He’s a madman and he’ll throw everything at this game. He’s also smiling a lot in the media coverage I’ve seen. Could be a brave front, or it could be he knows something we don’t know.😍
I didn’t really remember any standout moments for Howe. Obviously haven’t rewatched, and am slowly working on a brain scrub serum to get what’s left of the day removed!

The other one I did forget was JDG, which is rough to say for a bloke who kicked 3, but I reckon he’d remember his last contest more than the 3 he kicked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are times when a team's record against us is a worry and tells us something about the way we match up but that run of 7 by the Lions doesn't feel the way the Hawks dominance over us does. There have been a few very close games ( one a win after the siren) and this year there were mitigating circumstances in both games.

Not sure week one but King definitely tipped us to win against GWS

They were almost all hedge betting

They spent all their time talking up GWS and talking down Collingwood but ultimately tipping Collingwood to hedge their bet

I feel the same. As it was in 2003, 2004, it's a talent laden Lions line up against a gritty, courageous hardworking TEAM called Collingwood. McStay is a big ,loss but I had to smile when King lay down the stats from the last ten weeks which indicate that McStay has been the forward whose contests have led to the most goals in the AFL! One in two of McStay's contests have resulted in a goal to Collingwood.

Suddenly, Dan is the most potent go to forward in the competition, just when we lose him! Why didn't King pull out that stat before Friday night's clash? All year it's been our hardworking forward line doing the job but now Dan is out he becomes an irreplaceable goal creating machine!

It's all a part of the build up, everything is over the top, over hyped and catastrophic.

There are times when a team's record against us is a worry and tells us something about the way we match up but that run of 7 by the Lions doesn't feel the way the Hawks dominance over us does. There have been a few very close games ( one a win after the siren) and this year there were mitigating circumstances in both games.
this year we lost to them at marvel which they like with four A graders missing and they beat us at the Gabba after 3 games in 12 days and two 6 day breaks .playing at .mcg with players now available completely swings it back to us and they know it

On SEN this morning they raised the point that Grand finals are always characterised by someone unexpected bobbing up with a great performance or a few goals.

Who do you think will be that person?

Reckon there was someone on the bench last week with that ability

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On SEN this morning they raised the point that Grand finals are always characterised by someone unexpected bobbing up with a great performance or a few goals.

Who do you think will be that person?
Why, Bobby "Bobbing Up" Hill of course!

The last 15 games Brisbane have played at the mcg they have won 1 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back