Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - GRAND FINAL vs. Brisbane MCG, 2:30pm Sat 30/09

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we did go 10-1 in games without McStay this year. That loss being the Dees.

Seven of those ten wins included teams outside the top eight…. Essendon Adelaide twice Gold Coast bulldogs north west coast …

We definitely played a lot of the weaker sides when he was missing

Last edited:

It's actually insane at this point

"Melbourne are the in form team of the competition. Not sure how Collingwood can beat them the way they're playing. The stats say Collingwood sucks"

Collingwood beats Melbourne

"GWS are the in form team of the competition. Not sure how Collingwood can stop them the way they're playing. The stats say Collingwood sucks"

Collingwood beats GWS

"Brisbane have so many weapons. The only question mark is the MCG. But they're in as good a position as they've ever been to win it. I'm not sure how Collingwood kicks a big enough score to beat them"

Like bro...stop. At some point just admit up front you don't want Collingwood to win so we understand the logic behind your train of thought.
Then if the pies get up he will no doubt say, I’ve been big on the pies all year. Great team and this is how they won it …

Having re-watched lions v Carlton, I've started to lean on Frampton coming in with an eye of targeting Harris Andrews. Bloke is a genuine gun and in the absence of Big Dan I worry about him becoming a brick wall for us.

Frampton playing as a "tag" on Andrews, with Mihocek and the rotation of a DC/Cox between ruck and forward would stretch the Brisbane backline (especially if Payne doesn't get up). Also leaves our backline as is with Howe back there - something I would love the club to do, it's back to it's stingy best and the chemistry is rock solid between the group.

I'd get Ginni in for Lipinski, we need someone that can hit the scoreboard and we know Jack can provide that in spades. Lippa as the sub possibly? Maybe in a tussle with Noble or Tay (if fit) for that role come Saturday?
Lippa quelled the influence of both Green and Whitfield in the 2nd half on Saturday and he also got some very good possessions in traffic. I'd put a defensive forward on Coleman as he gave the Lions a lot of drive out of defence - that's the role I'd give Lippa as he is good in traffic, can tackle and he can run all day (which is essential on a hot day). Ginni or Nobes as sub

Daniher always seems to save his big games against us. But his either hot or very cold. Hoping Moore can shut him down. Lions do seem to struggle when Daniher has a quiet game.

As expected, King and Gerard already making the case for why we won’t win

Love it

Keep on never learning blokes

King hasn’t picked us to win in any finals so far. Also not surprised with Gerard. He looked so salty on Friday night after we won. All the SEN commentators did except Whateley.

Okay we have made the grand final. Top 2 teams playing off as it should be .Pies v Brisbane

Its the year of the magpie !!!!!!!! Here is why

Let me start by stating something that Jonathan Brown said on On the Couch little while ago.

He said something to this effect............... All the teams that usually win premierships almost always have tough hard players like the Brisbane teams of 2002,2003 but he said i look at the current Brisbane team yes they have talent of course but no hard tough gritty players to smash them over the line in huge games.
Pies have tough hardened players like Maynard, murphy degoey Mitchell etc etc who do Brisbane have ?????

Also too i believe the pies have 11 players that have played off in the 2018 losing grand final how many grand final players do Brisbane have ? Zero

In the end YEAR OF THE MAGPIES BY 10 POINTS IN A THRILLER GO PIES !

All the metrics and stats are against us. They are just looking a5 it at face value. There is no doubt we will have to produce a Bulldogs 2016 effort to win this, however we are more than capable of doing it

Like all the stats were against us against GWS. Midfield was written off then dominating GWS’ midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching AAA on AFL site, Lloyd said Frampton cant play forward, he isnt a forward, and Howe is a defender, so he thinks we should use a ruck up forward with checkers, with smalls around them.
Here's an issue for us: Cox needs to be our primary ruck. Streets ahead of Cameron. Will dominate against McInerney. Cameron cannot play forward. He is not a forward. Tough call to be made who that next tall is. If it's not Frampton, if it's not Kreuger, then Reef looks like the next best.

I still can't believe people are advocating for Krueger. He hasn't even been named as an emergency all year. He wasn't used when we were running out of talls during the year. He can't get through a VFL game without being injured. He's had a total of 7 disposals & no goals for the 2 games played this year.

No chance Fly brings him in for the biggest game of the year.
I don’t think anyone thinks Krueger is awesome, rather preferable to frampton. Frampton isn’t much of a forward and defenders would sag off him, while Krueger is more athletic and they wouldn’t be able to sit off him as much. Is that good enough? I don’t think so, you want proven performers in a granny and neither are that imo. As much as I joke about Krueger the wreaking ball, I wouldn’t be selecting either of them. Id go with a smaller forward line.

Plan A, bring ginni into the 22, noble to sub (I have my doubts about Adams getting up from a hammy in 15 days). We like to move the ball fast and it’s usually our smalls that do the damage, our talls only come into it on slow plays, in which case there’s ample time for a ruck to push forward to give an aerial contest.

Plan B, use one of our rucks forward if necessary, not ideal as neither are great forwards and the big O looks banged up and I think we can work him over to get an advantage.

Plan C, move Howe forward, my least preferred option is to mess with our defence, our defence won our first two finals and will have a big say on the result of this match.

McStay going down isn’t ideal he was hitting good form, but we’re not a side that relies on bags from our big forwards and can work around his absence. So I’d start with a smaller forward line and adjust if necessary.

Anyway I’m no expert on this, just my 2 cents.

Lippa quelled the influence of both Green and Whitfield in the 2nd half on Saturday and he also got some very good possessions in traffic. I'd put a defensive forward on Coleman as he gave the Lions a lot of drive out of defence - that's the role I'd give Lippa as he is good in traffic, can tackle and he can run all day (which is essential on a hot day). Ginni or Nobes as sub
I'd be concerned around Coleman's speed with Lipinski going to him. I think Beau is the clear match up for Kiddy, he's got the physicality to rough up Coleman, and the wheels to go with him when they go to that link up handball play. The lions use Coleman in a similar way to how we used to use Nick of HBF, multiple chain handballs to free up Coleman to run or kick - Beau has the wheels to go with Coleman in this situation, and disrupt that set up, as well as Beau can also keep him accountable the other way.

If I was to send Lippa to someone it would be either Zorko or Mccluggage. Neither are exceptionally quick, and as you rightly pointed out Lippa has the running capacity to go with them. I don't think we have the inside bulls to completely lock down their contest game (Neale, Berry, Dunkley, Rayner etc) so we need to make sure that their outside users in Zorko, Kiddy and Hugh aren't given free reign to receive from the contest and go forward.

Metrics and statistics mean jack shite.

Like the fly said just win the game anyway you can we just need to win forget last week last months stats mean nothing.
Yes we lost to Brisbane last 2 times first time played them at the Gabba WITH a depleted side we had no rucks and framptons first game thrown into the ruck plus a few were missing.

Second time we played them we were missing Degoey, moore, hill ,Murphy i believe sad we don't have MACSTAY THIS TIME AROUND but we can win it without him pies are primed watch Degoey and Naicos go this week.

Our prelim final has run us into form at the right time .

Whoever Andrews is on has to run away from the ball. Ps: is reef fit?
Andrews won't be drawn into that. His opponent needs to start deep and run away from Andrews. He's a bloody good player but his pace is a very exploitable weakness.

Metrics and statistics mean jack shite.

Like the fly said just win the game anyway you can we just need to win forget last week last months stats mean nothing.
Yes we lost to Brisbane last 2 times first time played them at the Gabba WITH a depleted side we had no rucks and framptons first game thrown into the ruck plus a few were missing.

Second time we played them we were missing Degoey, moore, hill ,Murphy i believe sad we don't have MACSTAY THIS TIME AROUND but we can win it without him pies are primed watch Degoey and Naicos go this week.

I'm just being cautious. I hate Brisbane more than Carlton. All the Carlton crap is in the past and we all know how they cheated their way to those golden years. The last 20 years they haven't even been a factor in any thinking. Brisbane however, ****ed us over in 2 grand finals because of all the concessions they recieved. They are now reaping the rewards of the current concessions by the AFL. All I'm saying is that it will require a monumental effort to win this, not that we can't

Having re-watched lions v Carlton, I've started to lean on Frampton coming in with an eye of targeting Harris Andrews. Bloke is a genuine gun and in the absence of Big Dan I worry about him becoming a brick wall for us.

Frampton playing as a "tag" on Andrews, with Mihocek and the rotation of a DC/Cox between ruck and forward would stretch the Brisbane backline (especially if Payne doesn't get up). Also leaves our backline as is with Howe back there - something I would love the club to do, it's back to it's stingy best and the chemistry is rock solid between the group.

I'd get Ginni in for Lipinski, we need someone that can hit the scoreboard and we know Jack can provide that in spades. Lippa as the sub possibly? Maybe in a tussle with Noble or Tay (if fit) for that role come Saturday?
Can understand the logic of the Frampton tag on Andrews but just don’t think he is a good enough footballer to do it well.

I think we will very much benefit from "the run" against GWS. You saw how Brisbane started on the weekend - even though we came out all guns blazing it didn't last long either. I was a bit worried about coming up against a match hardened GWS after our very minimal game time the last month , but we should be largely fresh and match fit come the weekend.

I don’t think anyone thinks Krueger is awesome, rather preferable to frampton. Frampton isn’t much of a forward and defenders would sag off him, while Krueger is more athletic and they wouldn’t be able to sit off him as much. Is that good enough? I don’t think so, you want proven performers in a granny and neither are that imo. As much as I joke about Krueger the wreaking ball, I wouldn’t be selecting either of them. Id go with a smaller forward line.

Plan A, bring ginni into the 22, noble to sub (I have my doubts about Adams getting up from a hammy in 15 days). We like to move the ball fast and it’s usually our smalls that do the damage, our talls only come into it on slow plays, in which case there’s ample time for a ruck to push forward to give an aerial contest.

Plan B, use one of our rucks forward if necessary, not ideal as neither are great forwards and the big O looks banged up and I think we can work him over to get an advantage.

Plan C, move Howe forward, my least preferred option is to mess with our defence, our defence won our first two finals and will have a big say on the result of this match.

McStay going down isn’t ideal he was hitting good form, but we’re not a side that relies on bags from our big forwards and can work around his absence. So I’d start with a smaller forward line and adjust if necessary.

Anyway I’m no expert on this, just my 2 cents.
Best assessment of the situation I've read. You should put your 2 cents in more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back