Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - GRAND FINAL vs. Brisbane MCG, 2:30pm Sat 30/09

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

he on occasions did more than hold his own forward ..he played well against the suns as a forward and started the rampage against Essendon on Anzac Day by clunking contested marks..hes only had limited time this year forward and yes its not ideal ..but to me he's best option seeing mcstay AJ are unavailable and Kruger is too risky and we need another tall
Against Suns they moved him to defence as he was having no impact at all. Same with another game where they started him forward. He's not proactive enough. Were not going to slow Andrews by playing a big bloke on him. Need someone with the smarts to get dangerous and exploit his lack of pace. Of all those discussed, he's the last option I'd go with ...except the Pendles suggestion...

I'd be concerned around Coleman's speed with Lipinski going to him. I think Beau is the clear match up for Kiddy, he's got the physicality to rough up Coleman, and the wheels to go with him when they go to that link up handball play. The lions use Coleman in a similar way to how we used to use Nick of HBF, multiple chain handballs to free up Coleman to run or kick - Beau has the wheels to go with Coleman in this situation, and disrupt that set up, as well as Beau can also keep him accountable the other way.

If I was to send Lippa to someone it would be either Zorko or Mccluggage. Neither are exceptionally quick, and as you rightly pointed out Lippa has the running capacity to go with them. I don't think we have the inside bulls to completely lock down their contest game (Neale, Berry, Dunkley, Rayner etc) so we need to make sure that their outside users in Zorko, Kiddy and Hugh aren't given free reign to receive from the contest and go forward.
I like the Beau v McKenna matchup. Beau has as much speed as McKenna and will be able to put him under tackle pressure: McKenna is likely to turnover the ball under pressure and he won't be able to match Beau for footy smarts.

I'd be concerned around Coleman's speed with Lipinski going to him. I think Beau is the clear match up for Kiddy, he's got the physicality to rough up Coleman, and the wheels to go with him when they go to that link up handball play. The lions use Coleman in a similar way to how we used to use Nick of HBF, multiple chain handballs to free up Coleman to run or kick - Beau has the wheels to go with Coleman in this situation, and disrupt that set up, as well as Beau can also keep him accountable the other way.

If I was to send Lippa to someone it would be either Zorko or Mccluggage. Neither are exceptionally quick, and as you rightly pointed out Lippa has the running capacity to go with them. I don't think we have the inside bulls to completely lock down their contest game (Neale, Berry, Dunkley, Rayner etc) so we need to make sure that their outside users in Zorko, Kiddy and Hugh aren't given free reign to receive from the contest and go forward.

I reckon Adams would be a great match-up for Kiddy Coleman.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm quietly confident that we'll do well on Saturday. The McStay injury is so Collingwood and we'll need to adjust (but we've played a lot this year without him, so not much changes in one respect). Looking at the Lion's finals games, they've beaten two sides that were banged up (Carlton and Port) and they gave both sides a look at it before winning their games at the Gabba. Different story this week, we're fit and whilst they've beaten us twice this year - neither win was at the "G" and we fielded some of our weakest sides for the year (they haven't played against a Collingwood side with de Goey, Naics, Cameron, Cox and Moore). Over the 2nd half of the year we've refined our "in-game gears" to the point that we can control the tempo of the game and despite playing significantly weakened sides against them, we've been in both games - Come Saturday - it's Floreat Pica
And one more factor - possibly the most significant: have the Lions played a game this year in front of a crowd of more than 50,000? Yet alone a crowd of 100,000 who are as hostile as we can muster?

And one more factor - possibly the most significant: have the Lions played a game this year in front of a crowd of more than 50,000? Yet alone a crowd of 100,000 who are as hostile as we can muster?
Unfortunately, the nature of GF ticketing means that it's a more neutral (in this case anti-Collingwood) crowd than the other finals. We'll obviously still be the loudest and most rabid, but not by as much as the Prelim.

I don’t think anyone thinks Krueger is awesome, rather preferable to frampton. Frampton isn’t much of a forward and defenders would sag off him, while Krueger is more athletic and they wouldn’t be able to sit off him as much. Is that good enough? I don’t think so, you want proven performers in a granny and neither are that imo. As much as I joke about Krueger the wreaking ball, I wouldn’t be selecting either of them. Id go with a smaller forward line.

Plan A, bring ginni into the 22, noble to sub (I have my doubts about Adams getting up from a hammy in 15 days). We like to move the ball fast and it’s usually our smalls that do the damage, our talls only come into it on slow plays, in which case there’s ample time for a ruck to push forward to give an aerial contest.

Plan B, use one of our rucks forward if necessary, not ideal as neither are great forwards and the big O looks banged up and I think we can work him over to get an advantage.

Plan C, move Howe forward, my least preferred option is to mess with our defence, our defence won our first two finals and will have a big say on the result of this match.

McStay going down isn’t ideal he was hitting good form, but we’re not a side that relies on bags from our big forwards and can work around his absence. So I’d start with a smaller forward line and adjust if necessary.

Anyway I’m no expert on this, just my 2 cents.
Agreed. And I don't think anyone is saying Krueger is awesome either. Or Frampton.

I wouldn't be choosing Frampton to replace McStay either. He would only be chosen to fill in for Cox or Howe if they moved forward.

But I much prefer to rely on the multiple players who have scored goals for us all year, than bring in Krueger.

One thing I’ve noticed is guys like Maynard, de goey, and mccreery have been tackling at half rat power, no doubt fear to hurting someone and getting rubbed out has been at play. Well now that we’re in a granny expect them to unleash beast mode.
Absolutely. It's going to be fierce. You could tell, and not blame them I guess, even sub consciously not going in as hard as they normally would. It's going to be bone crunching on Saturday.

How bloody exciting is it being a Pies supporter right now?

• The weather is amazing
  • Brownlow medal tonight with Nick a real chance to win it
  • We have a short working week with the Public Holiday on Friday (if you live in VIC)
  • We have the opportunity to soak all of this in knowing that 16 other clubs would do anything to be in our position
  • We get to continue to drink all of the tears of opposition supporters who continue to say how lucky we were to win on Friday night
  • The us against them mentality is back with every non-Collingwood supporter wanting us to lose
  • We are 5 sleeps away from the big day

I said to my family that this year I am more excited than nervous about this week. I'm sure the nerves will kick in as the game gets closer but I just want to enjoy the week and the buildup because we never know how long it will be until we are in this position again.

Go Pies!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a couple of thoughts on redemption and hunger. I know Brisbane are as professional as anyone, and will no doubt be talking about the GF as an incredible opportunity. They’ve fallen at the second last hurdle a few times so have some heartache to drive them.

In saying that, there is a difference in getting there and falling short. We’ve got a few players from 2018 who I’m hoping have chips on their shoulders and are steadfast in their determination to leave it all out on the ground Saturday arvo. I’ve probably missed a few, but these are the ones for me who I hope can get some redemption and will fight like hell to get it.

Bruz: Seared into my brain for you know what. If I’ve had countless horrid flashbacks over the years, I shudder to think what has been going on in his head. He won’t be letting anyone out body him, and might just wreck a few Brizzie players on the way through.

Steele: had an exceptional 2018 but was completely tagged out of the Granny. 2010 showed he can do it on the biggest of stages, hopefully flying under the radar and can dominate his wing end to end, snag us a goal of two, or save a couple with marks on the goal line.

Pendles: also had a very good 2018 but was pretty ineffective in the Granny. Had 20 odd but there was just no hurt factor. He will never be under the radar, and will have thought about that game a lot, will have himself ready to go.

Moore: we will never know if he could’ve got through the 2018 granny, wouldn’t have guaranteed us anything if he did of course play, but will no doubt have thought about it a lot since. His head is screwed on enough to understand the opportunity. Let’s just hope pendles has had a word about the possibility that “the best” can still have bad days on the biggest stage, but they need to fight their way back.

Elliot: missed that crazy run through all of 2018. Might’ve thought he’d missed his last chance to get to a granny after the team started to decline in 2019/20/21.

Tich: Played in the famous loss to the bulldogs in 2016. Played a big game himself but obviously a loss is crushing, particularly when you’ve done all you can andddddd maybe there’s some conjecture about some officiating at critical moments. Again, a player who might’ve thought he’d missed his last chance given where the Hawks were going while he was there.

Tay: (providing he can get up) was very good in 2018 but will have had the fright of his life over the past couple of weeks in potentially missing the Granny. I’d never doubt his application but his hunger will be through the roof.

Love this.

I’d add Howe to the hungry list.

And I hope like hell that Adams gets up. He’s a madman and he’ll throw everything at this game. He’s also smiling a lot in the media coverage I’ve seen. Could be a brave front, or it could be he knows something we don’t know.😍

Against Suns they moved him to defence as he was having no impact at all. Same with another game where they started him forward. He's not proactive enough. Were not going to slow Andrews by playing a big bloke on him. Need someone with the smarts to get dangerous and exploit his lack of pace. Of all those discussed, he's the last option I'd go with ...except the Pendles suggestion...
he was handy..kicked two and had 4 inside 50s

They terrify me. Will be having nightmares all week about those two. Both don’t need to get a lot of the ball to be devastating.
Yep. Charlie just had a night where he kept stuffing up, but he's so dangerous that he still kicked 1 goal 3, burnt a couple of others that you'd expect him to score and had the siren go when he was about to walk into goal for another. On a shit night for Charlie, he got separation so often and so easily in such dangerous spots that he could have kicked 6.

How bloody exciting is it being a Pies supporter right now?

• The weather is amazing
  • Brownlow medal tonight with Nick a real chance to win it
  • We have a short working week with the Public Holiday on Friday (if you live in VIC)
  • We have the opportunity to soak all of this in knowing that 16 other clubs would do anything to be in our position
  • We get to continue to drink all of the tears of opposition supporters who continue to say how lucky we were to win on Friday night
  • The us against them mentality is back with every non-Collingwood supporter wanting us to lose
  • We are 5 sleeps away from the big day

I said to my family that this year I am more excited than nervous about this week. I'm sure the nerves will kick in as the game gets closer but I just want to enjoy the week and the buildup because we never know how long it will be until we are in this position again.

Go Pies!!
You wouldn't be dead for quids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back