Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. Geelong, MCG Sat 29/05 @ 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
First and foremost, congratulations to Darcy Moore on what will be his 100th game.

This could get ugly! Despite a decent recent history against Geelong, they clearly touched us up in the finals last year. This year we now have a weaker list whereas the Cats are undeniably stronger, even in the absence of Duncan (concussion) and Dangerfield whom put us to the sword whilst playing as a forward.

LAST TIME THEY MET:

2020 Semi Final: Geelong 15.10 (100) def. Collingwood 5.2 (32) at the Gabba in front of a crowd of 21,396.

KEY MATCH UPS:

I think Moore will need to play on Cameron, who will likely take him up and down the ground away from his comfort zone similarly to how Daniher went about the encounter in Round 3. Unfortunately our other options in Keane and Roughead would be no match aerobically.

Roughead has a decent record in recent times against Hawkins, so must get the nod. I suspect the coaches may see an opportunity to bring back Keane to play some educational minutes on Hawkins however I truly hope they resist.

If the Cats play a resting ruck such as Esava we may need Keane to come back in.

Usually I'd be writing down Howe as our only potential match-up for Dangerfield but with both on the sidelines this is no such concern.

Our biggest concern by way of match-up (or lack thereof) is the hot-and-cold Rohan. Rohan is far too quick for the likes of Crisp and Maynard, but too good in the air for Quaynor and Noble. Crisp might be the best match-up for Rohan but the question remains as to where on the ground we want Crisp to be playing.

I think we may see Pendlebury go head-to-head with B&F winner Guthrie, especially in the likely forced absence (concussion protocol) of Duncan.

CHANGES:

IN: Murphy, Bianco
OUT: Wilson, C Brown

In: Murphy, Bianco, Cox
Out: Wilson, C Brown, T Brown

De Goey is a good full forward against the likes of North Melbourne but otherwise he gets shut down against the better teams. Get Cox in at FF and De Goey to take Brown’s midfield spot.

Last edited:
I think we may see Pendlebury go head-to-head with B&F winner Guthrie, especially in the likely forced absence (concussion protocol) of Duncan.

Guthrie also got hurt yesterday, an AC joint shoulder injury according to the club. It looked nasty and he couldn’t raise his arm post-game. Wouldn’t count on him playing.

This one will need to come with a parental advisory warning. Extreme gore. This will be ugly as ****.

Out: Thomas, C Brown, T Brown
In: Murphy, Bianco, Macrae

C Brown can be sub for all I care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not looking forward to this one! Given no VFL game, not sure there'd be many changes?

Cal Brown's time has come, and Murphy needs to come in, perhaps for Wilson

Could we play both Cox and Cameron? Maybe we should have done that vs Port today to try counter their tall intercepting defenders? Geelong could set up similarly

I think we can all agree Callum Brown has achieved whatever he is going to as an AFL footballer. He tries but just isn't good enough.

I would prefer Murphy to Wilson. Nothing against Wilson but he just seems to be lacking any particular AFL-standard attributes at this stage of his career.

If Cox had a VFL game to play and play well in you'd consider dropping Darcy Cameron after that performance, but Cameron probably has enough credits in the bank to keep his spot regardless.

Buckley and his assistants will be working hard on a plan to take the ball into the concrete corridors of the Olympic Stand and the Members' Reserve. Players will crab their way through the crowds until re-emerging via the members' dining room with a hint of mint sauce on the Sherrin.

McCreery to snap and goal from the pocket once the ball returns to the field of play.

He is after all our hungriest forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back