Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 19 vs. Port Adelaide, Marvel Stadium Friday 23/07 @ 7:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In. Sier Ginnivan Poulter Tohill
Out. C.Brown Thomas WHE Mayne

B. Madgen Roughead Maynard
HB. Quaynor Tohill Crisp
C. Noble Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF. Henry Mihocek Bianco
F. Ginnivan Cameron Elliott
R. Grundy Adams DeGoey
I. Sier Ruscoe Murphy Poulter
(sub) Macrae

Sier in to allow Crisp to keep defensive structure alongside Tohill (Howe back next week helps)
DeGoey 70/30 % midfield switch's with Elliot for explosion out of the middle
Grundy 75/25 % ruck/FF switch with Cameron
FF takes all rucks inside 50 allowing the Ruck to offer more defensive structure (Max Gawn role)
Sidebottom to "rest" in the Fwd pocket

Do you think Tohill was told beforehand? He looked a little emotional as soon as Harvey move on from Ginnivan. Even before he called his name out.

Great reactions though.
Nah. Process of elimination. Johnson, Begg, McMahon all on the injured list the week prior. Could only have been Tohill, McInnes or Chugg.

Do you think Tohill was told beforehand? He looked a little emotional as soon as Harvey move on from Ginnivan. Even before he called his name out.

Great reactions though.

The media crew certainly knew beforehand …

… I’m guessing that if the senior coach announces that there’s going to be a debut, and the club’s media folks have got their cameras trained on you, then you’d have a fair guess of what is going down.

Besides by process of elimination, there probably aren’t too many other options.

The media crew certainly knew beforehand …

… I’m guessing that if the senior coach announces that there’s going to be a debut, and the club’s media folks have got their cameras trained on you, then you’d have a fair guess of what is going down.

Besides by process of elimination, there probably aren’t too many other options.

and he was Probably told he was a Chance of Debuting earlier in the Week

Ginnivan clearly knew. Even some of the boys looked toward him when Harvey talked about a debut.

And with the age reporting a day or two ago that Tohil could be in for a debut, whether he knew or not, unsure. But its definitely a reaction of someone that was a surprise.

eta:

Looks like he didnt know

Great reactions though.

Pretty sure Ginnivan knew he was close to selection last week, so with our outs it was basically a certainty.

Definitely didn’t look like Tohill had a clue, just full of anxiety when Harvs mentioned another debutant.

He’s far from the finished product, but I reckon he is a perfect match up for Marshall.

Always pleased to see kids debut, but wow. So many this year, from the lower reaches of the draft, and so much inexperience in the team. I’m positive for the long term, but the short term and the rest of this season will be rough for us. We need to cut the boys some slack out there.

Always pleased to see kids debut, but wow. So many this year, from the lower reaches of the draft, and so much inexperience in the team. I’m positive for the long term, but the short term and the rest of this season will be rough for us. We need to cut the boys some slack out there.
I just don't see what Tohill has to offer the team. He seemed somewhat ineffectual in the VFL but obviously Keane has already been discounted as a viable KPP option and now his Irish mate is being given a shot. The last thing I anticipate is an inspiring performance from him in the seniors. It will be a case of in one week out the next, although as with every year we have so many players out injured he may hold his place simply because there is no one else available.

I think the scoreboard becomes irrelevant for the remaining games this season. It's now about exposing the youth on the list to senior footy, and giving them a small taste of it. Once they have that taste of senior footy, l would expect them to have huge preseasons determined to cement themselves in the side next year.

Good for Tohill, hope he goes well. Really excited to see Ginnivan play though. I'm worried that we'll struggle to get the ball inside 50 enough for him to have an impact, but I'm confident he'll make the most of even limited opportunities. I'm hoping that with he and McCreery we have got a couple of nice small forwards that can apply pressure and contribute a few goals a game between them.

Outs: JT, Mayne, Brown, WHE
Ins: Tohill, Ginnivan, Poulter, Sier

B: Quaynor, Roughead, Maynard
HB: Crisp, Tohill, Madgen
C: Poulter, DeGoey, Noble
HF: Bianco, Cameron, Ginnivan
F: Sidebottom, Mihocek, Elliott
Foll: Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams

Int: Ruscoe, Murphy, Henry, Sier
Sub: Macrae

What seems to be different about this year is that usually when we get to the end of the year, we have a bunch of kids who haven’t played senior footy and are out of contract, so it kinda seems inevitable that they get delisted.

The only players on our list who won’t have debuted after this week are:

Reef McInnes (has been injured, and ain’t going nowhere)

Liam McMahon (First year KPF, they take time to develop, he’s going nowhere)

Aiden Begg (mid season draft recruit, was recruited injured so clearly he’s a long term prospect, he’s going nowhere)

Ash Johnson (mid season draft recruit, unlikely to be going anywhere)

Issac Chugg (probably the only player on our list who has been fit but hasn’t debuted yet)

It’s difficult to get a read on what our off season movements are apart from Greenwood who has already announced his retirement, Cox and Sier - players of that experience don’t stay on lists playing that few games.

Unlike last off season, this year is shaping to have not much turnover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlike last off season, this year is shaping to have not much turnover.

We have added 10 players to the list since the end of 2022. In fact 11 if you count the Big Roo. That's huge.

I'll be surprised if we turnover more than the minimum requirement (is it three players?) at the end of 2021. We will be very exposed if we do, and again, its down to our mismanagement of our list and player contracts.

I think the scoreboard becomes irrelevant for the remaining games this season. It's now about exposing the youth on the list to senior footy, and giving them a small taste of it. Once they have that taste of senior footy, l would expect them to have huge preseasons determined to cement themselves in the side next year.
The scoreboard may be irrelevant but the performance of the players should make or break their immediate future. Not the draftees from last year, but for all other players selected to play, their future at the club should be contingent on their performance in the remaining games this year. Some tough and decisive decisions need to be made on players who have been around the club for several years without giving much evidence that they are up to playing football at the highest level.

We have added 10 players to the list since the end of 2022. In fact 11 if you count the Big Roo. That's huge.

I'll be surprised if we turnover more than the minimum requirement (is it three players?) at the end of 2021. We will be very exposed if we do, and again, its down to our mismanagement of our list and player contracts.

I dont think we'll see more than 5 new players come into the club. Daicos, Dib and a rookie elevation and maybe a couple of delisted FAs or rookie selections.

Yeah I think quite minimal.
Greenwood retired. Cox, Sier, Lynch. Thats 4 there. Will depend on what the club wants to do going forward with Mayne. We'll need a mixture of experience/Youth.

COLLINGWOOD
Collingwood

Out of contract (14):
Isaac Chugg, Mason Cox, Jack Ginnivan, Max Lynch, Jack Madgen, Chris Mayne (UFA), John Noble, Scott Pendlebury (UFA), Jay Rantall, Trey Ruscoe, Brayden Sier, Anton Tohill, Josh Thomas (UFA), Tom Wilson

Noble is close to sealing a two-year deal and Pendlebury is likely to accept a one-year extension, but there is plenty of uncertainty among the rest. Cox switched agents to Liam Pickering as he mulls his future, while Lynch is emerging as a potential part of this year’s ruck carousel. Sier has spent recent weeks in the VFL, Mayne wants to play on but faces a nervous wait, and discussions are underway for Thomas. Basketball convert Wilson is set to get another chance, and rookies Ginnivan and Chugg have shown enough to persevere with.

Yeah I think quite minimal.
Greenwood retired. Cox, Sier, Lynch. Thats 4 there. Will depend on what the club wants to do going forward with Mayne. We'll need a mixture of experience/Youth.

COLLINGWOOD
Collingwood

Out of contract (14):
Isaac Chugg, Mason Cox, Jack Ginnivan, Max Lynch, Jack Madgen, Chris Mayne (UFA), John Noble, Scott Pendlebury (UFA), Jay Rantall, Trey Ruscoe, Brayden Sier, Anton Tohill, Josh Thomas (UFA), Tom Wilson

Noble is close to sealing a two-year deal and Pendlebury is likely to accept a one-year extension, but there is plenty of uncertainty among the rest. Cox switched agents to Liam Pickering as he mulls his future, while Lynch is emerging as a potential part of this year’s ruck carousel. Sier has spent recent weeks in the VFL, Mayne wants to play on but faces a nervous wait, and discussions are underway for Thomas. Basketball convert Wilson is set to get another chance, and rookies Ginnivan and Chugg have shown enough to persevere with.

Personally I think Mayne will be pushed to retire and Chugg will be delisted.

Sier, Cox and Lynch to be traded, with a new contract for Thomas also questionable.

We will need to go in to the draft with quite a few list spots open given how many point carrying picks we’ll likely need to match Daicos/Dib bids.

Last edited:
So happy for Tohil and Ginny. With regards to Tohil doubters, and earning your spot in AFL, you don't need to dominate in VFL to earn a spot, you just need to work hard and show you can play a role. I expect they will keep it simple for Anton.
All the best for both debutants,and GO PIES!!!

Sier, Cox and Lynch to be traded, with a new contract for Thomas also questionable.

We will need to go in to the draft with quite a few list spots open given how many point carrying picks we’ll likely need to match Daicos/Dib bids.
I've heard Chugg is being re-signed. Club really rates him.

I dont think we'll see more than 5 new players come into the club. Daicos, Dib and a rookie elevation and maybe a couple of delisted FAs or rookie selections.

We basically have our hands tied anyway. We will need all our selections with points for Daicos and Dib. So after we take those two, any selection in the main draft we have left will be after pick 73. I wouldnt want to be rebuilding with lots of picks in that region, so we will probably have at most 3 new spots in our senior list free to add to the ones we left open by going with less seniors and more rookies, and maybe take 1 draft pick after the two F/s and academy choices if someone is left we rate, then promote any rookies we have to.

If you take out Greenwood, Cox, assume Lynch will be traded, probably Sier. Thats more than enough. I don't feel Sidebottom, Mayne, Thomas or Madgen are going to be any use in 2022, but I doubt we will let any of them go. In another year you might lose Rantall, but Id keep him given the above.

Hey mate Chugg is a pretty good player, hasn't had much luck with injury but has some real line breaking ability and is solid as a rock

Jesus, am I starting to… like Ruscoe???

My respect for the bloke has gone through the roof the past fortnight. Definitely judged the book by its cover and irrespective of what he does or doesn’t achieve in his football career it seems he has his head screwed on right and cared about his mates and also opponents. Huge respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back