Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Melbourne Demons (Round 12, Mon 10/06 3:20pm MCG) FREEZE MND

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be adverse to Stevo being given a rocket. He's exciting and will be a 10 year player, but geez, he played like a lair on Saturday - little dinky show off kicks that resulted in costly turnovers, speculative handballs and an overall impression of over confidence. It wouldn't hurt for him to have a run in the twos and work through some really bad habits he seems to have gotten himself into.
I suspect most of you to disagree with me but I reckon he's skating on thin ice.
It won't happen this week but unless he cleans his act up he will get dropped at some stage

I love Varcoe, but tbh his unwillingness to take shots at goal cost us two set shots at goal and gained us a solitary point.
Thomas is playing without confidence and needs a spell.

Sier needs to come in. Play Beams or Treloar at half forward and stick him in the guts
I suspect Cox isn't ready
Daicos must be close

Out: Thomas/ Varcoe
In: Sier

On notice: Stephenson, Reid and maybe Beams

Out Thomas

In Sier

Move Beams into Thomas role.

I wouldn't be adverse to Stevo being given a rocket. He's exciting and will be a 10 year player, but geez, he played like a lair on Saturday - little dinky show off kicks that resulted in costly turnovers, speculative handballs and an overall impression of over confidence. It wouldn't hurt for him to have a run in the twos and work through some really bad habits he seems to have gotten himself into.
I suspect most of you to disagree with me but I reckon he's skating on thin ice.
It won't happen this week but unless he cleans his act up he will get dropped at some stage

I love Varcoe, but tbh his unwillingness to take shots at goal cost us two set shots at goal and gained us a solitary point.

Sier needs to come in. Play Beams or Treloar at half forward and stick him in the guts
Daicos must be close

My main criticism of Stevo is that he's just not tough enough to go and change a game when he's not getting fed the ball. He needs his teammates to bring him into the game, unlike De Goey who can do it all.

My main criticism of Stevo is that he's just not tough enough to go and change a game when he's not getting fed the ball. He needs his teammates to bring him into the game, unlike De Goey who can do it all.
If that’s your biggest criticism of a second year player who’s still as thin as a rake, then I think he’s doing pretty bloody well.

Stephenson isn’t even close to being dropped. The injured Elliott aside, he’s by far and away been our most damaging small forward this year, with nearly double the goals of Thomas who’s trailing distantly behind on an average of 1 goal a game compared to Stevo’s 1.7, and is second on goal kicking only to DeGoey who’s turned in to a flat out freak show as a forward.

If that’s your biggest criticism of a second year player who’s still as thin as a rake, then I think he’s doing pretty bloody well.

Stephenson isn’t even close to being dropped. The injured Elliott aside, he’s by far and away been our most damaging small forward this year, with nearly double the goals of Thomas who’s trailing distantly behind on an average of 1 goal a game compared to Stevo’s 1.7, and is second on goal kicking only to DeGoey who’s turned in to a flat out freak show as a forward.
I agree...but...if he continues with the Harlem Globe trotters dinky round the corner kicks that result in scores to the opposition where is he doing the most damage? Sometimes you have to send a message before it gets out of hand. I didn't like Stevo's game on Saturday, his decision making was to my mind complacent and indicative of the way the whole team played (entitled). You're right he won't be dropped but it would not hurt to give him a boot up the back side if he continues down that path.

I agree...but...if he continues with the Harlem Globe trotters dinky round the corner kicks that result in scores to the opposition where is he doing the most damage? Sometimes you have to send a message before it gets out of hand. I didn't like Stevo's game on Saturday, his decision making was to my mind complacent and indicative of the way the whole team played (entitled). You're right he won't be dropped but it would not hurt to give him a boot up the back side if he continues down that path.
I don't think he needs to be dropped at this point in time for him to learn. He was livid with himself for the turnovers, he will learn. You can't compare him to the current DeGoey who has been in the system for a while.

I think I've said it a couple of times but I think some supporters are probably unaware or have forgotten how important Cox is to our structure.

There were a couple of games last year he went out suspended and we looked completely out of order. Granted, we didn't have Reid available to come in and plug a hole, but we were desperate for him to come back and upon his return he really straightened us back up.

I think his absence is really affecting the likes of WHE, Stephenson and Thomas' ability to impact the game by crumbing the contest. As much as I believe Thomas is out of form, I hope he's in the team the same week Cox gets back.

No matter how good Reid might go every few weeks, Cox can't come back soon enough. Don't play him in the VFL. Put him straight back in the AFL. Yes he might be rusty but I can assure you he hasn't got shorter.
He loves big games too!

The whole team was flat, there was so much space for guys like Hill to run into. Stepho closes that space and pressures oppo disposals. Never seen Beams look so slow.

Would like to see IQ or Apples step up in near future and release Crispy.

I think I know which dinky kick you’re referring to, and it was 100% the right option imo. If he’d hit his man then we were out clean to go straight up the middle of the ground for a likely goal. He weighted his kick wrong though, which is a crime that he doesn’t commit on a regular basis, unlike some of our other repeat offenders. I think you’re being way too hard on him, and I think his creativity with the ball should be encouraged.

Get them in: Big man Mason Cox could return from injury for the Queen's Birthday clash with Melbourne at the MCG on Monday, while midfielders Brayden Sier and Josh Daicos, and would-be debutant Isaac Quaynor, could also be in line for promotion.

Under the pump: Small forward Josh Thomas hasn't been as damaging as he was last season and even dropped a couple of regulation chest marks in a particularly quiet showing in the loss to Fremantle.

Medical room: Grundy (ankle) laboured against the Dockers but should be OK, while Cox (ankle) will be tested.

Verdict: Even if Cox proves his fitness, he'd likely resume in the VFL given he has missed five games and the key forward combination of Brody Mihocek and Ben Reid has enjoyed some success. Sier or Daicos could come in at the expense of Thomas. – Ben Collins
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-04/in-the-mix-whos-pushing-for-selection-for-round-12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sier has to play. Without Adams we’re severely lacking. If Beams isn’t 100%, I’d bring Sier in for him. Otherwise Thomas.

Would also like to see Daicos in for Varcoe but know that won’t happen

Doesn't matter who comes in and out. It's all about mindset. You get the sense over the last few weeks that the boys were at a point that they know they're good and it'll just happen. We've been playing with fire a bit and were always going to lose a game the way we were going.

De Goey is an out and out star, gee whiz though he needs to cut out some of those dumb mistakes he makes. Shoving blokes straight in the back when he's got them stone cold if he just holds his ground. He took a ripping mark on the wing with a few minutes left of Saturday. He decided to chip the ball 20m backwards when he should've gone long down the line to where Grundy was waiting. A throw in on our 50m and we probably hold on to win. Not having a crack at Jordy, I love watching him play, he's that good we could win the flag if he hits top gear during the 2nd half of the season.

Outs - Thomas, Reid
Ins - Sier, Cox

JT just hasn't found his best form this season and he's had a fair while to do so. Reidy has been solid but Cox is an upgrade around the ground and allows guys like Stepho, WHE and the other smalls to find space up forward. Cox gives us a much stronger back up ruck option and we have to give Grundy some help to keep him firing as the season goes on. The Bear must come in, we need his work in the middle. I'd be looking to push Beams forward.

Aish, Varcoe and Phillips are on notice. We need more out if them with Adams, Elliott and Schaz waiting in the wings.

Huge game going in to the bye. Looking for a much sharper performance.

Daicos must be close

Stevo is lightning quick. He should back his pace in more often rather than attempting dinky kicks or handballs. I'd like to see him released on to the wing more often. I felt Fremantle defended him really closely on Saturday and shut down his ability to break the game open. To date in his career he's always bounced back from a quiet game.

His second half against Freo was awful - truly horrible, but you don't drop someone after one bad half.

Would like to see IQ or Apples step up in near future and release Crispy.
Apples would just add to to the problem and won’t help Crisp.

Out: Aish, Thomas
In: Sier, Cox

Daicos must be close

I sat next to Boyd and Lockyer a few weeks back at the footy and they were shaking their heads at some of Stevo's antics - dribble kicks along the grounds, and dinky little kicks when more conventional, higher percentage kicks were in order.

I dare say its not gone unnoticed, but you need to be careful not take the flare away from these types of players who have the freak ability.

I sat next to Boyd and Lockyer a few weeks back at the footy and they were shaking their heads at some of Stevo's antics - dribble kicks along the grounds, and dinky little kicks when more conventional, higher percentage kicks were in order.

I dare say its not gone unnoticed, but you need to be careful not take the flare away from these types of players who have the freak ability.

Stevo has the creativity and flair those two could only dream of, he should be given license. He pushed it too far a couple of times on the weekend but if those come off we are away. I would encourage his dare, it comes off more often than not and changes games. I'd hate a team of 22 foot soldiers. Stevo has scope beyond the wildest dreams of a good, ordinary footballer like Lockyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back