Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Melbourne (R21, Sat 10/08 1:45pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anybody is suggesting Wills should be our second ruckman for the next two seasons . Just this week and review as we go.

As soon as Moore returns then it’s a different kettle of arguments.

And for those worrying about Grundy getting injured or even just a little bit puffed out..... he survived a month with Reid giving him a chopout. Nothing broke then.

Even Richmond haven't persisted with a Grigg style 2nd ruck this season though, preferring instead to graduate to a Chol, Balta, or Coleman-Jones option instead.
Yep, it was a "break glass emergency" thing, not a permanent structure

Not remotely suggesting it becomes permanent with us

I don’t think anybody is suggesting Wills should be our second ruckman for the next two seasons . Just this week and review as we go.

And for those worrying about Grundy getting injured or even just a little bit puffed out..... he survived a month with Reid giving him a chopout. Nothing broke then.

It's a bad idea because Wills will get crushed by Gawn and Pruess and the Melbourne midfield will get a massive leg up.

I think our ruck depth is fine. Grundy, Cox, Roughy, Moore, Lynch and Tohill. That's 2x genuine options, 2x who could fill the role if needed, and 2x developing. Don't think you can afford to carry any more than that. Our issue is that injuries mean 2x aren't available and another can't be freed for the role. Injuries have exposed our lack of established KPP types though and we all knew going into the season that was thin.
My issue was taking Wills out of the inside mid role, which seemed to work last week to cover for Cox. Get someone else in for the role, don't change something that seemed to click for maybe the first time this season albeit against GC

And yes, use that depth: Lynch being the obvious choice to do it without breaking our structue

We're going to finish 6th or 7th so can afford to experiment a little bit.

I'd bring in a tall defender and push Roughy in to the Key forward/2nd ruck role. It's a position he's played before and I think it's worth a look. Worse comes to worse he pushes back to defence. It might mean Goldsack gets a look in for a couple of weeks.

I'd also like Noble to get another look in soon as well.

Solid news about Wellsy, odds are he will break down again but the Sydney performance showed just how good he is. Again because our ladder position is unlikely to change then you'd look to give him 1 and maybe 2 VFL games then bring him in for a hit out at senior level before finals, hold your breath he gets through.

We're up against it but all is not lost. We're the type of side that could get hot in September. Get JDG, Stevo, Moore, Reid and Wells back for finals and it's game on.

Is Lynch a capable forward? Because that's where he'd need to play most of the game, let's not forget.

Only limited evidence to draw any conclusion from since he assumed the No1 ruck role at VFL level. Definitely a better ruck option than a KPF at the moment but other than his first year he's had so little exposure to the role it's hard to judge. Can kick goals, can clunk a big mark, likes to throw his (limited) weight around.

Yes, but Reid had played most of last season and all of this season in that KPF/2nd ruck role at VFL level and at 196cm & 98kg's he's much closer to a Mumford (197/105) or Martin (199/100) sized ruckman.

That aside, the issue isn't that we might look at someone like Wills (192/89), it's that if we go that route it may mean Grundy plays more game time and we'll run him into the ground, and potentially that he becomes more fatigued giving Gawn an added advantage late in the game.

In the North game where we lost Reid early, Grundy played 95% game time which is his highest ever TOG. Subsequent to that he's played 94 (Hawks) - 91 (WC) - 88 (GWS) - 92 (Rich) - 88 (GC). That's 4 of his 7 >90% TOG games this year in the last 6 weeks. He's been carrying a heavy load.

I’ll eat my hat if Wills is only 89 kgs.

Anyway, interesting discussions and given lack of an obvious replacement for Cox, selection will be interesting.

Shame on you, doubting the accuracy of footywire's stats....

The CFC player list only lists him at 88kg's but that's in the same ballpark as Sier, Crisp, Maynard and Pendles so might not be too far off. How did you want that hat served? I hope it's one of these...

edible hat.jpg

Last edited:
Wills is built like the proverbial. He could make the opposition non-Gawn ruckman earn his hitout and then immediately hit the deck at the clearances. With four midfielders to three at the centre bounces it could be a stroke of genius!!

Except watch Gawn or Preuss belt the ball over the heads of the midfielders down to Centre Half Forward.

It won't be a stroke of genius.

Except watch Gawn or Preuss belt the ball over the heads of the midfielders down to Centre Half Forward.

It won't be a stroke of genius.

Just like Grundy was doing to Griggs in the prelim. It's an extremely risky move, especially as their ruckman know they aren't going to jump & compete against them.
They can either smash the ball 30 meters forward, or grab the ball & kick it 50 meters forward.
I can imagine how much Grundy would be licking his chops if he knew he was going to get a couple of centre bounces per quarter with Wills opposing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like Grundy was doing to Griggs in the prelim. It's an extremely risky move, especially as their ruckman know they aren't going to jump & compete against them.
They can either smash the ball 30 meters forward, or grab the ball & kick it 50 meters forward.
I can imagine how much Grundy would be licking his chops if he knew he was going to get a couple of centre bounces per quarter with Wills opposing him.

Especially now he knows he won't get pinged for holding the footy if he takes it out of the air.

Hearing from Murphy’s best mate that he’s straight in as key defender. Would be freeing up Roughead as second ruck

Hearing from Murphy’s best mate that he’s straight in as key defender. Would be freeing up Roughead as second ruck
If that's the case, then the actual typo was the word Test.
Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 5.15.14 pm.png

I think we should stop comparing to Richmond 2017 using Grigg as a second ruck.

That plan has come undone now, and even Richmond have gone and got backup ruck options. It got destroyed by us last year in the prelim, and hasn't been used since.

Going in with Wills against Gawn would be a mistake in my opinion. We need a genuine 2nd ruck/forward option.

I see only 2 options:

1. Roughead (is a premiership ruckman), and bring in Goldsack as cover down back
2. Lynch as the most like for like replacement for Cox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back