Changes - Rd 23 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care what you were discussing. Training loads at AFL and VFL level do increase and I believe Neil Craig (coaching Adelaide in the mid 2000s) was a trailblazer for this and was soon implemented by other clubs.

Completely incorrect comment?

Huh?

I don’t care what you were discussing, I will just make up my own topic you weren’t even taking about then tell you that you are wrong about it

😂💩😂😂💩😂💩

I love this joint

I have more faith in Roarke to play his role than most of our depth players.
Yep, I'm happy enough to see him in. He's been very strong defensively in every game this season, and each of his omissions have been less about his performance and more about a player with more of a reputation returning/coming back in. I think Roarke in gives us more much-needed defensive coverage on the outside.

I'm overall frustrated with the changes, but I don't mind Roarke in.

Yep, I'm happy enough to see him in. He's been very strong defensively in every game this season, and each of his omissions have been less about his performance and more about a player with more of a reputation returning/coming back in. I think Roarke in gives us more much-needed defensive coverage on the outside.

I'm overall frustrated with the changes, but I don't mind Roarke in.

I agree that Rourke shouldn’t be playing but he is far from the biggest issue we will have this evening

I agree that Rourke shouldn’t be playing but he is far from the biggest issue we will have this evening

Spot on. He is never an issue because he rarely touches the ball, or gets involved in a contest. Spectator, with no expectations. JJ, Hannan, Cordy, Young all have key roles in the side and at the moment just can't break even. I hope its not going to be a long night, I just hope they jump out of the blocks and make a contest early. No chance playing catch up footy. 🤞

This is the team we put on the park Rd 10 2020 against port. We lost by 13 points.

FB: R.Smith, Cordy, Daniel
HB: Williams, Keath, Crozier
C: JJ, Macrae, Lipinski
HF: Richards, Bont, VDM
FF: Wallis, Bruce, Weightman
R: English, Libba, Smith
Int: Dunkley, Wood, McLean, LLoyd

Not too dissimilar structurally in how we line up tonight. The one additional tall in Young probably the only difference.

Some key stats from that game (consider also the 20% reduction in game time)
44-28 hitout loss resulting in an 8-5 centre clearance differential (ports way). And yes Lycett missed the game so English was vs Ladhams one out.
21-6 loss in contested marks (lack of tall representation was as disgusted as I was in team selection under Beveridge)

Despite winning inside 50s and around the ground clearances we lost the game due to the hitouts and contested marking (particularly the amount of intercept marks Clurey, Jonas and Mckenzie took) as well as Dixon taking his usual 4-5 big grabs.

Beveridge better hope this mistake isn't made again. Port have a blueprint in terms of how to beat us.

Spot on. He is never an issue because he rarely touches the ball, or gets involved in a contest. Spectator, with no expectations. JJ, Hannan, Cordy, Young all have key roles in the side and at the moment just can't break even. I hope its not going to be a long night, I just hope they jump out of the blocks and make a contest early. No chance playing catch up footy. 🤞
Rubbish. Roarke gets a job to do, he's not standing around watching the game, hoping for a touch, otherwise he wouldn't be selected so often. He doesn't have to get many touches to fulfil the coaches' requirements, just limit his opponent's effectiveness.

Rubbish. Roarke gets a job to do, he's not standing around watching the game, hoping for a touch, otherwise he wouldn't be selected so often. He doesn't have to get many touches to fulfil the coaches' requirements, just limit his opponent's effectiveness.
What job has he done? He played a run with on Selwood, which resulted in Selwood having argueably his best game for the year. He didn't play on Langdon for the entire Melbourne game, spent less than 50% of game time on him. His tackle counts and 1% are not even mid range.
Generally has the least game time for any player(excluding sub or injury), so he either can't run out games or the MC don't have faith on game day.

This is not a dig at the bloke, it's a dig at Bevo for constantly picking him.

I actually have more faith in Beveridge today than yesterday, but I'm not really sure why. I have this hunch our entire midfield will fire for the next 4 games and carry us to glory, with Bevo having worked out the magic formula of time slots to rotate Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Treloar, Liberatore, Bmith through the middle, and rotation of Bmith, Hunter, VDM, Daniel, JJ etc through the wings. Naughton will play as a decoy, and Weightman and Hannan will weekly kick bags, while Rmith will negate key oppo playmakers in every game. The backline will be steady and reliable, with their job made significantly easier by the domination of the midfield. I fully expect the players named for tonight to all be accepting medals on GF day. On the dais, Bevo will repeat the magic of 2016, by snapping his medal into 3 and handing a piece each to Josh Bruce, Lin Jong and Toby McLean.

On the flip side, if we lose this week and get bundled out first week of finals, then the captain goes pig shooting and the coach resigns, it means we will win the flag again within 2 years. I'd rather win the flag this year though, as I don't think there's another Tom Boyd on the horizon.

Excellent post :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How Easton Wood retained his spot is absolutely beyond me.

He cost us big time last week..

Im a bevo fan but not a devout religious one. But at this stage, its far too late to gamble with unknowns ala martin-fitness, JUH young body learning.
I dont love the changes, but I do trust the process. You dont win 15 games thru incompetence.
Its natural for us as supporters to vent and rejoice. Look over the history of preview threads just this year. Plenty of yo-yoying by all involved when discussing the MC decisions. Venting when we lose. Rejoicing in the seemingly unexpected wins. The preview threads were full of critics and magic panacea hopes to be dissed days later after the match after a loss.
Just speaking personally, I have more faith in Bevo and the MC in knowing the exact condition of the players on the list and the long term game play they are trying to strive for more than me myself as a passionate but outside the circle devout fan of the club.
Go doggies.
Cede nullis.
Careful, whilst you describe yourself as "not" a devout, religious fan of Bevo, you may come across as a 'fanboi' if you start with the positivity ;-)

Keep the Faith.

I've never rated Port at all this year, so I went to have a look at their draw and their wins/losses.

They haven't beaten anyone above them. They have played Carlton twice, St Kilda twice, Adelaide twice, Collingwood twice, Gold Coast once, Hawthorn (pre Clarkson announcement) once.

Shut down Wines and Dixon and they are very ordinary.

Dogs by 23 points.

View attachment 1211084
Re Dixon: last time we played them he only kicked one (from memory)? Who did the job on him?

That bugger has caused us problems in the past.

What job has he done? He played a run with on Selwood, which resulted in Selwood having argueably his best game for the year. He didn't play on Langdon for the entire Melbourne game, spent less than 50% of game time on him. His tackle counts and 1% are not even mid range.
Generally has the least game time for any player(excluding sub or injury), so he either can't run out games or the MC don't have faith on game day.

This is not a dig at the bloke, it's a dig at Bevo for constantly picking him.

exactly. In finals we need much greater expectations from our bottom 3-4 players. They may not win finals off their own boot but they can be a huge edge over the other team. Every team in the finals has gun players.

Our bottom 3 in 2016 were huge for us

We don’t know what is going on behind the scenes, but talking to someone who is about to join our AFLW team as a defence coach yesterday, she thought both Geelong and the Bulldogs had increased the training load over the past two weeks, and the reason for our two losses and Geelong‘s one loss and sluggish form last week. You can afford to do this when you are top four.

Also opposition coach’s have been going tall against us all year, but we seem to have won 15 games. If our midfield fires like a V8, and not on two cylinders we will be right.
I'm hoping it was training loads leading into finals that has caused this drop off.
If what she is saying is true then we have put in the solid training block and would be tapering off now which means we should be primed for tonight.

Re Dixon: last time we played them he only kicked one (from memory)? Who did the job on him?

That bugger has caused us problems in the past.
Looking forward to the commentators frothing over "Dixooooonnn!" every time he goes near the ball. (McAvaney was the worst at this.)

There is enough quality in the team, my main disappointment is the structure of the team basically handicaps us. If we went well structured and our quality beat their opponents we are a massive chance but when the structure means we need naughton to beat two defenders to mark or bring the ball to ground, that English will have to ruck the majority of the game especially if young gets swung back it just puts more onus on the other players to do more than just beat their own opponent.
Great post. Given that we get beaten in center bounce ruck contests, do we share the ruck duties between Schache (I sense an injury to one of the players before half time) and - my preferred option - Lewis Young? That enables English to play deep forward (full forward), where he might be more value?

I think we need to just be competitive in the center bounces. Not win them, necessarily. A lot of people might say English has been deficient in that area, so if he's THAT bad I'm suggesting he might be more value as a threat in the goal square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes - Rd 23 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back