Changes v Ade Rd 3

Remove this Banner Ad

JA or SOS in for Jonno
Crichton in for Crowley
Pitt in for Son Son

I'd leave Ibbo for another week and give him a run in the WAFL. His record on AAMI is very average and it's a big ask for him fiorst up after a 6 week injury IMO. Too risky.

I'm not going to even bother with those saying we should drop Walters or Lower...

But in regards to Johnson, what happens if Adelaide bring in Tippett next week? After his performance in Round 1, I would expect the Crows to keep McKernan and go in with three genuine tall forwards. Obviously Silvagni would be ideal in that situation, but he is really going to be ready? Bringing in Anthony for Johnson could end up leaving Roberton or van Berlo playing on Walker or McKernan. And we all know how well that worked in the preseason.

I know people will say that Johnson isn't a key defender anyway, but he would be better than someone giving up 10cm. Maybe if we actually gave him a role (follow McKernan all day) then he could actually get involved, as opposed to him just doing a nothing role.

So, my changes...

Out: Crowley
In: Anthony

Would love to bring in Ibbotson, but he has had a fair bit of time out. A WAFL run would be pretty helpful. If he was fit, unfortunately I think Roberton would be the one to make way.

b: van Berlo, McPharlin, Grover
hb: Duffield, Johnson, Broughton
c: Fyfe, Palmer, Hill
hf: Ballantyne, Pavlich, Suban
f: Mayne, Anthony, Walters

r: Sandilands, McPhee, Mundy

i: Bradley, Lower, DeBoer, Roberton

But in regards to Johnson, what happens if Adelaide bring in Tippett next week? After his performance in Round 1, I would expect the Crows to keep McKernan and go in with three genuine tall forwards.

Re this, in discussions on this Board, quite a few posters suggest that big forwards are things of the past, and it is all about the midfield (that bit is of course true). Surely if that is the case, and the Crows go with 3 genuine tall forwards then we should be able to work an advantage by better mobility through the midfield/hb line. We do have quite a number of defenders who could still compete (Roberton) and have a mobility/speed edge.

Yeah, that's an interesting point. But even with three tall forwards, Adelaide aren't necessarily any slower or less mobile up forward. McKernan is a lot like Bradley, just a little bigger.

Don't know how much of Adelaide those interstate have seen/heard, but as much as it pains me to say it, they have looked super impressive over the preseason and Round 1. The last couple of seasons they have tended to move the ball pretty slowly out of defense, and have messed around with the handball a bit too much.

But so far this season they seem to have put a focus on moving the ball quickly and kicking long to their forwards. Our forwards will have to be very good when Adelaide has the ball to stop that easy movement, but regardless they could probably catch us out for size down back if we went in with only two genuine talls down there.

Johnson is so bad when it comes to any physical contact, I'd almost prefer a sub 190cm player down there.

MJ has to go - there are no more excuses for him.

Allowing a passenger to play is CANCEROUS to the whole team - he has the belief that if he puts in a little effort/endeavour every now and then he will be guaranteed a weekly spot, which he unfortunately HAS BEEN his whole career. This paints an absolutely terrible picture for his team and particularly the younger brigade, playing on field with a passenger - it is a CANCER.

Ask yourself this - What are we trying to build here?
My view is a team that doesn't accept half-arsed efforts, a team that strives to get the most out of themselves and applies that thought EVERY game. Skill, decision errors and poor form are excusable from time to time but lack of application/endeavour - NEVER acceptable.

MJ's time has really gone - what is Harvey and Co trying to do attitude wise????????????????????? I am absolutely disgusted seeing him on the ground in a Freo jumper.

You can never get a game back, once lost its lost for ever - SO NEVER LOSE WONDERING if you could have put more effort/endeavour in. MJ hasn't the character for professional sport.

Hilly was on Varcoe when he cut loose - needs to work harder defensively.

Agree to a point. He is still not getting the balance quite right in how to line up on his opponent defensively at bounces and stoppages.

That said, he is always going to be more damaging for us as a out and out attacker than as a close checking midfielder, and anytime the ball is turned over he will be exposed if his man runs off him.

Varcoe was doing that a lot last night (due to Scott's insight into Hilly's development needs I reckon). When we kept possession through a couple of kicks then Hilly was suddenly free and clear, and often very damaging. When we made a dumb turnover, Hilly was too far away to get back to Varcoe.

Not sure there is really a guaranteed fix without Hilly giving up his attacking play, and that would be awful. Maybe have a spare man across CHB to pick up Hilly's opponent if the opposition really runs off him, but that is also robbing Peter to pay Paul...

Biggest change needed is a change in attitude.
No more of this we are worried about fading out again late in season.
The players hear that kinda stuff from the coaches so end up not putting in as hard, thinking they will make top 8 an be able to put in abit more later when needed.

With all the byes this year, players more experienced, so much focus on fitness not enough on basic skills and some quality mid age players drafted.
We should never have been worrying about late season fadeouts.

You can see guys like Duffield,Johnson etc are just in cruise control waiting for the important time of year.
Far too many taking it easy not throwing bodies on the line, not giving it 100%
An that is down to the mental aproach of players expecting to make finals an just easing off slightly.

If we dont start performing week in week out, an giving it everything right now.
There gonna have alot of work to do late in season.

JVB was switched onto varcoe an completely shut him down for most the game.

Yeah, that's an interesting point. But even with three tall forwards, Adelaide aren't necessarily any slower or less mobile up forward. McKernan is a lot like Bradley, just a little bigger.

Don't know how much of Adelaide those interstate have seen/heard, but as much as it pains me to say it, they have looked super impressive over the preseason and Round 1. The last couple of seasons they have tended to move the ball pretty slowly out of defense, and have messed around with the handball a bit too much.

But so far this season they seem to have put a focus on moving the ball quickly and kicking long to their forwards. Our forwards will have to be very good when Adelaide has the ball to stop that easy movement, but regardless they could probably catch us out for size down back if we went in with only two genuine talls down there.

Yes I have Crow supporting family in Adelaide, and they are radiating the kind of glow that is slightly sickening in opposition supporters. But I still don't see three tall defenders as the answer to the problem. More fire-power in the midfield for me.

OUT:
Johnson - not committed at present, which is a shame as he had a decent pre-season
Roberton - Unlucky but Ibbo a better half back at present
Crowley - not in form
IN:
Ibbotson
Griffin
Anthony

I just think Anthony & Griffin inside 50 with Griffin in tandem with Sandilands maybe we can take a mark inside 50 for a change?!! Esp with Pav playing 99.9% on ball....

OUT:
Johnson - not committed at present, which is a shame as he had a decent pre-season
Roberton - Unlucky but Ibbo a better half back at present
Crowley - not in form
IN:
Ibbotson
Griffin
Anthony

I just think Anthony & Griffin inside 50 with Griffin in tandem with Sandilands maybe we can take a mark inside 50 for a change?!! Esp with Pav playing 99.9% on ball....

It sounds like you are not thinking of Bradley in the forward line? Griffin, Anthony and Bradley looks wrong to me.

Palmer and Lower not rotating as subs effectively gives an extra mid, allowing Pav forward longer. To me that is where the problem is.

It sounds like you are not thinking of Bradley in the forward line? Griffin, Anthony and Bradley looks wrong to me.

Palmer and Lower not rotating as subs effectively gives an extra mid, allowing Pav forward longer. To me that is where the problem is.

Yep, it really does beg the question - what the fck was harvey thinking in his use of Palmer as sub????? And against Geelong?????

i could understand if he was underdone fitness wise, but we know better and with Palmer doing runs after the match to ensure he got the "weekend game mileage" in.

Really, what the fck was Harvey thinking?? Or was this Harvey's "master plan" which Scott wasn't expecting? Lol - no-one would have been expecting that stupid decision. Did we lose our best coach to Geelong??? This season will determine a lot on Harvey and his future. There is no doubting the talent and capability of our list, but our coaching decisions??????

I can understand Collingwood using Krakouer in that role for the last quarter and a bit, but they have more or less a full list and seem more match fit. With our injuries and player availability I would have thought copying that idea a huge mistake - as it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT. Bradley, Roberton, Johnson(if ibbo fit).
IN. Griffen, Anthony, Ibbotson(if fit).

Need a second ruck, and a full forward if Pav plays 90% mid. Would give Griffen more ruck time than Sandi then sub off at 3/4 time for running mid.

Yep, it really does beg the question - what the fck was harvey thinking in his use of Palmer as sub????? And against Geelong?????

i could understand if he was underdone fitness wise, but we know better and with Palmer doing runs after the match to ensure he got the "weekend game mileage" in.

Really, what the fck was Harvey thinking?? Or was this Harvey's "master plan" which Scott wasn't expecting? Lol - no-one would have been expecting that stupid decision. Did we lose our best coach to Geelong??? quote]

Steady on ! Harvs has thrown out the deadwood, and a basket case of a club and rebuilt the playing group. Scott has just taken over a proven side (Premiers)! I know which one is harder. I think that the coach isn't very happy with Palmer's attitude, and he's sending him a message. After the game the kid was running goal to goal for a long time on his own!

I think Roberton is still a few kg's away from being able to stand a KPF.

He wouldn't be, he would be playing 3rd tall at best. It would be a rarity for any side to play 3 big forwards; confusing for a forward structure as well. And if they do, it can leave them vulnerable to run and pace, and Roberton brings that. Regardless, based on the Cats game playing MJ adds little defensively regardless compared to Roberton.

OUT. Bradley, Roberton, Johnson(if ibbo fit).
IN. Griffen, Anthony, Ibbotson(if fit).

Need a second ruck, and a full forward if Pav plays 90% mid. Would give Griffen more ruck time than Sandi then sub off at 3/4 time for running mid.

Bradley kicked 3 goals v Geelong.

Anthony 2 goals in the wafl.

It would be a rarity for any side to play 3 big forwards; confusing for a forward structure as well. And if they do, it can leave them vulnerable to run and pace.

hf: Knights, Walker, Dangerfield
f: Petrenko, Tippett, McKernan

Don't think Adelaide would be vulnerable to run and pace, throw in Douglas and Henderson as the quick small types too. McKernan also plays as their second ruckman, so it's not like it would be three talls all the time. But if we were clearly outsized (which I think we would be with just Grover and McPharlin) then I'm sure Adelaide would keep a third tall up there all game.

By the way, I think Johnson should be dropped. But, given the team we are playing and the options we have available, I don't see it happening.

Zac in for MJ makes sense to me. He (Zac) really showed some fire in the last quarter against North Ballarat or whoever they were. I really liked seeing a bit of aggression from him. Starting to look like a footballer too.

I must say I don't really understand what Duffield has done to raise the ire of so many. His defensive game is all about timing rather than physical contact like Grover or McPhee. He gets deft little touches in marking contests and times his spoils really well. When it's on the ground he paddles it around and backs himself to beat his opponent on the ground. I don't think he dogged anything last night.
He is also, with Broughton, the primary player that carries the ball from half back to half forward. Time and time again I notice when no one else provides an option out of the back half he runs to a position to receive and keeps running to link up 2 or 3 times. He's one of the premier rebounders in the comp.

The tail's in the Stands are trying to wag the dog again.
I was at the game and and have watched most on the replay.
We were one kick away from breaking the Cats' back and the whipping boys get it the neck again. You only need look at the venom comming from the BF Vatician.

No changes this week unless injuries force it.

If I had a say I'd drop Chopper and include JA.

The tail's in the Stands are trying to wag the dog again.
I was at the game and and have watched most on the replay.
We were one kick away from breaking the Cats' back and the whipping boys get it the neck again. You only need look at the venom comming from the BF Vatician.

No changes this week unless injuries force it.

If I had a say I'd drop Chopper and include JA.

You do know that Chopper is Chris Mayne right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v Ade Rd 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back