Changes v Ade Rd 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I'd agree with that.

Won Inside 50's
Won Contested possessions.
Won the scoring shots.
Won the clearances...
Lost total possessions, however Geelong only had 40 more this year as opposed to 80 last year.
Lost the tackles...
Kicked shit house for goal.
2.6 in the last quarter. We had easy shots on goal from clearances and hard work...

Some soft stuff there, and we're missing Barlow and Morabito. Barlow allows Pav to go straight forward.

Think Hill's working up a nice head of steam too.

We need to work on our zone more. Last Saturday the cats ripped through it way to easily.

It's stating the bleeding obvious but we need to get Pav back to CHF. The fact he is playing in the middle indicates the player we are missing the most is Morabito. What options are there to get a Mora type body into the midfield?

Won Inside 50's
Won the scoring shots.
Won the clearances...
Lost total possessions, however Geelong only had 40 more this year as opposed to 80 last year.
Lost the tackles...
2.6 in the last quarter. We had easy shots on goal from clearances and hard work...

Some soft stuff there, and we're missing Barlow and Morabito. Barlow allows Pav to go straight forward.

Of course we won the midfield battle. We have the best ruckman in the game, we put one of the best players in the game there, as well as our B&F from last year. Their midfield is a shadow of what it once was without Ablett and Selwood. If we didn't win those key stats we'd be in even more dire shape. Really, those stats mean nothing.

When does Barlow come back? Does our entire gameplan rest on a single player? That's pretty poor, what happens if he's never as good as he was?

Then ultimately we're screwed.

Won Inside 50's
Won the scoring shots.
Won the clearances...
Lost the tackles...

It's not the results (though we actually lost) and statistics or whatever that's bothering me, it's the attitude. It's the entire approach the club has taken. From the first game in the NAB Cup to our game on Saturday night I just don't see what we're doing any differently or any better than what earned us 5th place in 2010.

I'm a pretty positive guy - though not surprisingly, tone doesn't translate very well on the net - particularly when it comes to Freo. Other than some natural progression from a couple of younger guys I don't see much positive about what the side has been doing for the last couple of weeks.

Where is the spark we had in 2010 going to come from in 2011?

Barlow is a massive question mark, Morabito isn't back until 2012. Are we just killing time at the moment?

It's not the results (though we actually lost) and statistics or whatever that's bothering me, it's the attitude. It's the entire approach the club has taken. From the first game in the NAB Cup to our game on Saturday night I just don't see what we're doing any differently or any better than what earned us 5th place in 2010.

I'm a pretty positive guy - though not surprisingly, tone doesn't translate very well on the net - particularly when it comes to Freo. Other than some natural progression from a couple of younger guys I don't see much positive about what the side has been doing for the last couple of weeks.

Where is the spark we had in 2010 going to come from in 2011?

Barlow is a massive question mark, Morabito isn't back until 2012. Are we just killing time at the moment?

Look you may have a point. However we had the chances to win the game. More than enough in fact.
10.18 will kill you...

Just on that spark thing: I think you're underestimating the Barlow effect on last year.
Morabito provided a lot of that flair and run too.
Mzungu looked like he would provide the run/creativity that we lost when Hayden got injured.
He's gone now too.
Ibbotson out.
De Boer just coming back in...
We were improved on the week before. Mundy looked very good, and I thought Hill was impressive.

Won Inside 50's
Won the scoring shots.
Won the clearances...
Lost the tackles...

After calming down & watching game again from tv perspective...I agree.
We're going alright, just need another mid to step up & help out Fyfe, Mundy, Sandi & Pav - maybe Palmer will get a full game for a change? - now or never for him....& I think we're a BIG chance this week.

What we'd give for Mzungu or Barlow right now though....imagine both into that 22!!!

Ibbo will help this week...may release Suban to a more midfield role, though he did spend a fair amount of time there v Cats. I prefer Subes in mid role & like Ibbo off half back

After calming down & watching game again from tv perspective...I agree.
We're going alright, just need another mid to step up & help out Fyfe, Mundy, Sandi & Pav - maybe Palmer will get a full game for a change? - now or never for him....& I think we're a BIG chance this week.

What we'd give for Mzungu or Barlow right now though....imagine both into that 22!!!

Ibbo will help this week...may release Suban to a more midfield role, though he did spend a fair amount of time there v Cats. I prefer Subes in mid role & like Ibbo off half back

I;ve only got the last quarter and a half. Will watch this week, but from the game we were generally all over them in the last quarter, but they were able to puinch through the zone too easily, and seemed to have runners around the contest.

Ballantyne seemed to be playing further up the ground, which with De Boer a bit under done made it easier for them.

Look you may have a point. However we had the chances to win the game. More than enough in fact.
10.18 will kill you...

It's not the result that bothers me Lach.

From my perspective, it looks like everyone is just waiting for some magic switch to be flicked and the new and improved 2011 Fremantle Dockers are just going to materialise. It's all 'when such and such happens' or 'when so and so returns' it'll all work out. Across the pre-season and the 2 games so far, I've seen nothing to show we're as good as the side from 2010, let alone a new and improved version.

It's not the result that bothers me Lach.

From my perspective, it looks like everyone is just waiting for some magic switch to be flicked and the new and improved 2011 Fremantle Dockers are just going to materialise. It's all 'when such and such happens' or 'when so and so returns' it'll all work out. Across the pre-season and the 2 games so far, I've seen nothing to show we're as good as the side from 2010, let alone a new and improved version.

We started with a full deck last year...pretty much

Can I ask what you were expecting?

Hill and Mundy underdone...but getting back.
Hayden and Morabito out for all/most of the year.
Barlow not in.
Ibbotson missing.
De Boer missing/underdone.
Silvagni in the hospital
Tarrant gone.
Pav is slowing down a bit I reckon. Not moving as well, and I'd agree that moving him to CHF ASAP would be a priority.
Let Mundy run the show in there with the support cast.

Before we lost Hayden and Morabito and mundy and Hill were steaming around training before christmas, even without Barlow, I thought we'd hold or improve...when those guys went down...not so much.

I still think we won't really hit our straps until later in the year...

Mundy and Hill were positives and we should have won the game (and would have if not for shocking kicking for goal).

But the win would have come without doing the things we were doing well last year. There seems to be no application to the areas that made us a great team last year.

Barlow shouldn't make or break the team. Fact is the zone appears half-arsed. Tackling is down. Defensive efforts are down. You think all of these areas would go up if your best player is out injured - just look at St Kilda last year. I can understand attacking plays dropping off but not defensive efforts.

Clay is right in saying we appear to be trying not to lose games rather than stretching the opposition. Barlow and Mora are/were dynamic players, no doubt we're missing that. But our midfield will be workmanlike with or without Pav - hand the responsbility to the other players and start getting our game plan and structures sorted out.

And yeah, subbing Lower was crazy. I can only assume he had a niggle but haven't heard anything to confirm this.

Our midfield has been and still is our weakest link. Players like Palmer and Ibbo havn't come on the way we would like. Remember we took Palmer ahead of Cyril Rioli and look at how he has started the year (obviously Palmer has had som very bad luck) . Hinkley hasn't come on at all. If it weren't for Mundy coming on we would be in terrible shape.

Completely missing out on the 2001 draft is still hurting and will hurt for another couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on that spark thing: I think you're underestimating the Barlow effect on last year.
Morabito provided a lot of that flair and run too.
Mzungu looked like he would provide the run/creativity that we lost when Hayden got injured.
He's gone now too.
Ibbotson out.
De Boer just coming back in...
We were improved on the week before. Mundy looked very good, and I thought Hill was impressive.

I'm not underestimating the Barlow effect at all. What happened in the first half of 2010 isn't going to help us in 2011 though. That's why I asked where is it going to come from this year? We need to be better than last year Lach, not the same. We need to improve on our 2010 season not stagnate.

Barlow is an unknown quantity. Morabito isn't playing this year. Hayden is 10 weeks away. Mzungu has never played an AFL game; he's also 10 weeks away. Our season could be over before these guys can help do anything about it. (Note: I'm not saying it will be over, I'm just saying we can't rely on them to storm in and save the day)

De Boer coming back was helpful, Ibbotson will also help down back and in the middle. That might be good enough to get us 5th if no other sides improve. Maybe.

Hill and Mundy were impressive in 2010. Again, we finished 5th. That's not going to be good enough.

I'm not underestimating the Barlow effect at all. What happened in the first half of 2010 isn't going to help us in 2011 though. That's why I asked where is it going to come from this year? We need to be better than last year Lach, not the same. We need to improve on our 2010 season not stagnate.

Barlow is an unknown quantity. Morabito isn't playing this year. Hayden is 10 weeks away. Mzungu has never played an AFL game; he's also 10 weeks away. Our season could be over before these guys can help do anything about it. (Note: I'm not saying it will be over, I'm just saying we can't rely on them to storm in and save the day)

De Boer coming back was helpful, Ibbotson will also help down back and in the middle. That might be good enough to get us 5th if no other sides improve. Maybe.

Hill and Mundy were impressive in 2010. Again, we finished 5th. That's not going to be good enough.

See above.

Also I reckon they had Mzungu pegged as the HBF that may have released Broughton as the accumulating midfielder we need...especially if Hayden was fit.
He gets as much ball as Rhys, with better skills

Can I ask what you were expecting?

I'm not sure what I was expecting; more than 2010 I suppose.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons for us being off our best and I'm certainly not saying we're not going to be a freaking awesome side by round 12 or whenever. I guess I'm just really underwhelmed by what I've seen so far. Like I said earlier, nothing so far indicates we'll be a better side than we were last season, even when the injured guys get back on the field; we weren't good enough last year.

Also I reckon they had Mzungu pegged as the HBF that may have released Broughton as the accumulating midfielder we need...especially if Hayden was fit.
He gets as much ball as Rhys, with better skills

Maybe this is what bothers me the most. Last season it seemed like we turned a corner and all these injuries kind of make it seem like we're in a holding pattern. Like we're doing just enough to hold on until...well until something happens...

I don't see why Palmer spent the first half off the field as a sub...stupid move really, he had 14 touches when he came on. If you need a middfielder to step up, he's your man.

MJ surely has to be dropped. He reminds me of Stephen Dodd these days, in that I cant understand why he's always a walk up start for the first 18 no matter what.

If he doesn't get dropped then he must have a gold pass.

MJ surely has to be dropped. He reminds me of Stephen Dodd these days, in that I cant understand why he's always a walk up start for the first 18 no matter what.

If he doesn't get dropped then he must have a gold pass.

Must admit from what i have seen from MJ this year, i get the impression it is him that has signed a deal with GWS not Palmer. MJ doesn't appear to give two hoots. At least Palmer is trying.
As for a gold pass, bet you ten bucks Bradley gets dropped before MJ.

Seems the jury is out on MJ. I have kept out of the debate, however I think he was out of position personally. He never has been a natural forward, like McPharlin. He should be a pure defender. I think he has enough talent to take the role on properly. Maybe some time in the WAFL would not hurt anyway with his output. Remember Clarke getting played as a FF last year? It was ugly. Out of position sucks.

Selections from me

Palmer full half game and potential full game.
Clarke in coz he will compete with their ruck and Sandi can hover in the forward line and ruck from CHF for quite a bit. It will be a good shift play also.

Ibbotson in. Silvagni may be unavailable but definately an in if ok.
I like Bollenhagen as an option. Hi skills will give forward entry a good option.

I would drop Walters and say get 20 possessions + at 75%eff in the WAFL and you will be in next week against Norf at home.

Lower needs a week in WAFL as he was bad. It was a shame coz he has been very good throughout the pre season. WHen the pressure is on, he needs to not have brain fades like he did. Make him want it.

I would play Johnson as an out and out defender and say he will not go forward all game. If he can not handle that task then WAFL when we play Norfs.

Surprised people have not called for other players this week. There were some bad performances on the weekend, but we can not mention the next echelon players that have a poor one can we....:rolleyes:

Thank fu&* for McPhee is all I can say. All you pricks that bagged him all of last year I can hear the applause and appreciaction of a player that can lift under adversity. I love you all.... course I do. Band together now people and unleash the purple beast.

Please leave Anthony in WA... We are still mentally recovering from that goal in 2009.

Good to hear from you AFC. Should this not be the very reason why we SHOULD bring Anthony into the team?

Adelaide are doing very well at the moment. We need the win more than you guys do. So sorry to say, JA will be coming in for MJ.

Good to hear from you AFC. Should this not be the very reason why we SHOULD bring Anthony into the team?

Adelaide are doing very well at the moment. We need the win more than you guys do. So sorry to say, JA will be coming in for MJ.

Absolutely :)

Crows look up and about - however we need to be realistic as we have a very young side... I think we have the class to be very good on some days (2nd half vs Hawks) and will also have some pretty dismal games...

I think it will be a really interesting game, with both sides being hit by injuries to players in their best 22 (Freo - Hayden, Barlow, Ibbotson, Morabito) and Adelaide (Sloane, Mackay, Porps and possibly Tippett).....

Bring on a good game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v Ade Rd 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back