Changes v Carlton - IN: Tyson, Harmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyson and Harmes. Thought Harmes was good over the JLT and best on for Casey for the weekend, deserves a game

Surely we take Kent who is actually best 22?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Jake Melksham

HB: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Nathan Jones

C: Christian Salem, Jordan Lewis, Billy Stretch

HF: Clayton Oliver, Sam Weideman, Jack Watts

F: Christian Petracca, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett

Foll: Max Gawn, Angus Brayshaw, Jack Viney

I/C (from): Dom Tyson, Dean Kent, Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jake Spencer, Ben Kennedy, James Harmes

In: James Harmes, Dean Kent, Ben Kennedy, Dom Tyson, Jake Spencer

Out: Joel Smith (shoulder), Bernie Vince (suspension)

Off that bench it'll be Spencer/Kennedy/Harmes as emergencies IMO. Spencer in for Gawn if he doesn't get up with whatever the niggle is right now (Whether it is back or wrist).

This is what every impatient fan has said about every developing key defender in the history of the world.

Not true, I said Tom would be AA when he first started same as Frawley.
Oscar isn't as impressive as them at the same age

Not true, I said Tom would be AA when he first started same as Frawley.
Oscar isn't as impressive as them at the same age

Can't disagree enough. Now that Tom has a body and some nous I think you've got rose coloured goggles on. He also developed at a time when early he had mature defenders around him, and we were so shit that nobody was angry when the ball when flying back over his head, regardless of whether it was his fault or not.

Oscar gets the ball deep in defence, has disposals under great pressure very often, and executes well most of the time. Yes he has clangers that cost turnovers, but other honourable mentions from last week's game who turned it over costing a F50 entry include Lewis, Jones, Viney, TMac and Oliver.

He's a good 1 on 1 defender, and he gets out muscled at times due to the fact his balls are still making the journey south. But as far as I'm concerned, he has just as much chance to develop into the next Alex Rance as anyone else ( well except for the modelling bit...). He's like Watts, has to play a 3 vote game for anyone to get off his back.

EDIT: In addition, TMac it could be argued has gone backwards since his break out year. I'd argue that people should be calling for him to be back at his best (which he's starting to approach again now), rather than knocking his brother who is on the way up.

Oscar gets the ball deep in defence, has disposals under great pressure very often, and executes well most of the time. Yes he has clangers that cost turnovers, but other honourable mentions from last week's game who turned it over costing a F50 entry include Lewis, Jones, Viney, TMac and Oliver.

Correct. And what most football fans these days fail to appreciate is that defenders are under instruction from the coaches not to panic-bomb the ball out of defence. Teams are too good at mopping them up and scoring from intercept marks that defenders are now clearly told to take more time with the ball (at the risk of getting tackled) to find either a running player to handball to, or a precise kick. Of course, it occasionally means the defender gets tackled or turns the ball over rather than booting it 50m up the line (which is what defenders used to do).

Every time you hear the crowd yell "Just kick it!!", if you listen really carefully you can hear the coach mutter "actually, please don't".

I have no problems with Oscar or Tom other than their kicking. But it's ****ing huge issue.

It's not just the direct turnovers which both of them have multiple of per game. Its the poor kicks that hit the ground before getting to the target or miss the target entirely, forcing the intended recipient to play on instead of taking a mark. It often comes after we've just forced a turnover too. There were multiple audible growns from the crowd at Etihad when Tom or Oscar made poor kicks out of the back 50.

Unfortunately with oscar is he's doing his apprenticeship at the wrong time. These missed kicks and poor decision making ie trying to spoil while leaving reiwoldt free in the square are very costly for a team trying to push into the 8. Four years ago when the turn overs is difference between losing by 10 goals or 12 goals it wouldn't of mattered. For now I think we persist with him but not sure for how long.

Anyway on a positive note how good is it having problems at the selection table. Will get harder next week when vince comes back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David King has tipped us by 4 points and Jon Ralph by 97, interesting contrast.
Wow how did Richmond beat them by 43? Carlton are a good team so just give the cup to Richmond. In all seriousness maybe King is going by previous performances. The record in the last 10 years isn't good I can only think of two wins 2014 and the kruezer cup. Then again these poor records is an indication of how poor our team has been in the last 10 years. Or its just a number he thinks we'll win and had to give a margin.

Unfortunately with oscar is he's doing his apprenticeship at the wrong time. These missed kicks and poor decision making ie trying to spoil while leaving reiwoldt free in the square are very costly for a team trying to push into the 8. Four years ago when the turn overs is difference between losing by 10 goals or 12 goals it wouldn't of mattered. For now I think we persist with him but not sure for how long.

Anyway on a positive note how good is it having problems at the selection table. Will get harder next week when vince comes back.

I think Oscar is a better option than Frost & Wagner when all are fit & Hibberd can't play on tall like Oscar can. He is tall, he is very athletic & I think the he will develop into a great player very soon.

Too many people need a whipping boy just for the sake of it.

Wow how did Richmond beat them by 43? Carlton are a good team so just give the cup to Richmond. In all seriousness maybe King is going by previous performances. The record in the last 10 years isn't good I can only think of two wins 2014 and the kruezer cup. Then again these poor records is an indication of how poor our team has been in the last 10 years. Or its just a number he thinks we'll win and had to give a margin.
I think it's reflective of the uncertainty of our position atm. We should win by lots. Which means, being us, it's likely we won't. Which margin you accept says which view you take of the falseness of this latest dawn.

Oscar was getting a game ahead of Dunn last year because he listens to instructions and does the team thing. Defence is now a whole team thing, so he only gets isolated every so often during a game. If he was a defender back in the 80's playing 1 on 1 all day, then yes, I'd be a little concerned. But he's still young and needs to fill out some more, but I'm really happy with his development. His kicking is fairly poor, like his brother, but there aren't too many KPD who are elite with the ball use. I think for his age and experience, he's doing particularly well playing a tough position at Full Back. And I feel him and Tom work really well together and look out for each other. I do feel Frost is a better option right now when fit as he's able to handle the bigger bodies of Hawkins etc. But let's not forget Oscar literally just turned 21 years old. He's still got a lot of development left in him and Goodwin seems to rate him highly and that is good enough for me right now..

Tyson and Harmes in based on those inclusions with Kent, Spencer, Kennedy emergencies.

Kent stiff but Harmes is more versatile and doubt we'll unsettle our forward line at all after last week's efforts. Hope ANB and Hannan can continue there form of 1 game otherwise Kent will be in quickly.

Hoping it'll be Tyson and Kent in with either Salem or Milkshakes to drop back into defence. Plenty of versatile players in the team already.

Hoping it'll be Tyson and Kent in with either Salem or Milkshakes to drop back into defence. Plenty of versatile players in the team already.

Agreed. Although seeing it is tough for spots, we know whoever comes in will want to play well and stay there. Can't wait for Sunday. This game will show us whether or not we will take the next step or not this season. Should win and win well but a massive danger game, plus they have beaten us 13 out of the last 14 times I think. Cripps, Kreuzer and Gibbs are key to their success. We need to shut at least two of them down..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back