Changes vs Dogs - Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we just clear it up that MCKENZIE WAS OUT WITH SORENESS. He wasn't dropped for form or anything like that. If you saw footy classified a few weeks back you would know that Bails rates him highly. He will be back.

no need to make too many changes, there werent many who had good games but they werent all terrible. Line-up as i would have it for dogs.

FB: Cheney Warnock Frawley
HB: Grimes Garland Trengove (if he gets a tag again why not? hes got better skills than bruce)
C: Scully Moloney McKenzie
HF: Davey Bate Dunn
FF: Sylvia Green Bennell
Foll: Jamar McDonald Jones
Int(from): Bruce, Macdonald, Bartram, Johnson, Strauss, Bail

Wouldnt be upset if watts played but i really dont think he should play ahead of the likes of Cheney or strauss. Yes they arent forwards but that could free up someone to play forward maybe bruce perhaps?. Think Johnson could be worth it yes i know hes had his chances but he adds size and overall youd rather morris/lake would be playing on both green and sylvia if we through johnson down there

B: Bartram, warnock, bruce
hb: Grimes, frawley, macdonald
c: Scully, moloney, trengove
hf: Davey, green, bennell
f: Sylvia, garland, bail
foll: Jamar, mcdonald, mckenzie
ic: Bate, dunn, jones, gysberts
emerg: Strauss, cheney, johnson

In: Maric, McKenzie, Bail

Out: Petterd (inj.), Martin, Mystery injury that will no doubt pop up during the week, just when we thought injuries were getting better for us

Out: Petterd (inj.), Martin

In: McKenzie, Bail (for obvious reasons- tackling and pressure)

Jack Watts just not ready yet.
Miller and Juice are a waste of time.

Bruce- hospital handballs and general poor disposal is a concern but he usually does a handy job on Brad Johnson so he stays in.

Bennel shouldn't be dropped- just a couple of weeks ago he was our BOG. Someone called him a front runner earlier- its pretty hard for a forward pocket to impose yourself on the game when the ball is being chipped around the backline with no purpose. When we are up and running (like in the 3rd qtr), he is one of our most dangerous players.

Rivers deserves another go- shouldn't underestimate the step up from VFL to AFL. He is entitled to find his legs because we know what he is capable of at his best.

The key change must be Garland going forward. He can present a leading target, take contested marks, and why persist with a dud like Martin when our backline is stacked with tall options. Send Garland forward and he may develop versatility and be that damaging swingman option we've lacked in recent years.

I cannot believe the words Juice or Miller were even mentioned around here.

They should never play another game for Melbourne. Ever.

That being said Rivers and Martin both had shockers and need to be dropped. So dissapointed in JR - Had a fantastic preseason and I hoped he would get back into his Rising Star form. Martin is nothing but a man-child to me, a la Tom Hawkins. Big bodied, but immature. Needs a lot of work. Should be in the ressies for a while yet.

several people in this forum (myself included) got hounded down for saying last year that the game had gone past Rivers. Now it seems everyone is jumping into him. Mclean was the other & judging by both players performances on the weekend, we were right!!
rivers won the rising star in a good team as a third man up defender with great courage. in the modern game were we see limited marking contests or "packs", the need for a rivers type is not required unless you have speed & good skills.

Unless Rodney Eade is suffering "Senile Sheedy Syndrome" then Brian Lake won't go anywhere near Watts.

He would go to Green or Sylvia, why on earth would you think that Eade would send his best defender to Watts?

Hell even if he for some magical reason did send Lake to Watts, it would give Green or Sylvia one of there lesser defenders.

Ok champ, who would you line up on Watts, Green and Sylvia this weekend if you were Eade and were not suffering from "Senile Sheedy Syndrome"?

Ok champ, who would you line up on Watts, Green and Sylvia this weekend if you were Eade and were not suffering from "Senile Sheedy Syndrome"?

Brian Lake - Brad Green

Dale Morris - Colin Sylvia

Tom Williams/Ryan Hargrave - Jack Watts

Although if Eade decided to have his brain explode and put Lake onto Watts then I'd be more than happy to have one of his lesser defenders go to Brad Green, would mind Greeny kicking a bag.

Brian Lake - Brad Green

No doubt you've got the match ups right there, when you consider Green/Sylvia/Watts potentency around goal i.e. most dangerous forard = best defender. Also ignoring the size of the forwards and backmen.

However Lake is a terrific rebounding defender, and the Dogs may look to use this against Watts. Scrlett on Westoff in the 2007 GF was prime example, he wasn't there most dangerous fwd but Geelong obviously identified Westoff's inability to defend the fwd 50 and Scarlett run amok.

As for changes, I wasn't at the game, and haven't watched the replay as yet.

I have said all along, Bruce, Garland, Rivers, Joel Mac can't play in the back line together, I wouldn't mind seing Bruce up foward.

IN;
Mckenzie, Cheney or Gysberts

OUT;
Petterd (inj) Martin

If we do decide to send one of Bruce, Garland fwd then cheney comes in to fill the back pocket role. If not then i would like to see Gysberts get a game twice in the best, twice emergency he is knocking on the door (bartram can move back to back pocket/hbf).

Most will probably say Rivers out and include Gysberts and Cheney, i will watch the replay and decide my opinnion on Rivers.

Brian Lake - Brad Green

Although if Eade decided to have his brain explode and put Lake onto Watts then I'd be more than happy to have one of his lesser defenders go to Brad Green, would mind Greeny kicking a bag.

Id be happy to have Hargrave or Williams on Watts. Hargrave would give away 2 to 3 inches on Watts and Watts is a great contested mark. Williams would be a better match up height wise but Watts would be to quick for him.

Green is 184 cm and Lake is 195 cm and Watts is 196cm - I agree with the Morris/Sylvia match up but I don't see why Hargrave or even Gilbee couldn't take Green and let Lake go to Watts to tear apart his confidence from the beginning of the game? Watts has put on weight and increased his pace and fitness so why risk him getting his confidence up early?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt very much that Rocket would be sucked into playing Lake on Watts. In any case if he was I’m with Dez, it just frees up Green, whom I might add is well in the top 10 at the moment for Coleman medal considerations, with a secondary defender.

If and it is a very big if Watts was by some miracle selected someone like Andrejs Everitt (193cm, +90kg, mobile/rebounding defender) would go to him, Lake to Green and Morris to Sylvia leaving our forward line well covered.

IMO this is why I believe if Ricky Bobby is out Bailey will have to bring back Miller. He’s got form at Casey (so fits the merit criteria) and because of his size and strength is much more likely to force Rocket to play Lake on him and thus free up Green or Sylvia.

Id be happy to have Hargrave or Williams on Watts. Hargrave would give away 2 to 3 inches on Watts and Watts is a great contested mark. Williams would be a better match up height wise but Watts would be to quick for him.

Green is 184 cm and Lake is 195 cm and Watts is 196cm - I agree with the Morris/Sylvia match up but I don't see why Hargrave or even Gilbee couldn't take Green and let Lake go to Watts to tear apart his confidence from the beginning of the game? Watts has put on weight and increased his pace and fitness so why risk him getting his confidence up early?

I know there's a bit of a height mismatch with Green and Lake but I don't Eade would want Gilbee playing on him as I see Green as a very smart footballer who would just drag him back to the goal square and keep Gilbee's lethal boot out of the game.

There's positives and negatives for every match-up, Bailey just needs to figure out which has the biggest positive and the least costly negative.

Lake - Green

Positive
-Gives Watts a lesser defender and better chance to make an impact on the game.

Negative
- The size mismatch although doesn't mean Green is out of the game, just means that we have to kick well into the 50 and hit him on the lead.

Lake - Watts

Positive
- Gives a lesser defender to our most dangerous forward so far this year in Green, gives him a better chance to kick a bag.

Negative
- May take Watts out of the game entirely.

Of course this is all assuming Watts is selected.

It would be good to have another ruckman take some of the workload off the russian so we can play him more up forward. He has shown he can take a great mark and kick a goal. Play him in the square and this will add in our favour

I know there's a bit of a height mismatch with Green and Lake but I don't Eade would want Gilbee playing on him as I see Green as a very smart footballer who would just drag him back to the goal square and keep Gilbee's lethal boot out of the game.

There's positives and negatives for every match-up, Bailey just needs to figure out which has the biggest positive and the least costly negative.

Lake - Green

Positive
-Gives Watts a lesser defender and better chance to make an impact on the game.

Negative
- The size mismatch although doesn't mean Green is out of the game, just means that we have to kick well into the 50 and hit him on the lead.

Lake - Watts

Positive
- Gives a lesser defender to our most dangerous forward so far this year in Green, gives him a better chance to kick a bag.

Negative
- May take Watts out of the game entirely.

Of course this is all assuming Watts is selected.

What about putting Garland up forward for this game - 191cm and played all of his footy up forward as a junior?

do not bring in miller... we're looking to develop and become a strong side in the future...not just a temporary fix.

Miller is 30? i dont think he should play for melbourne anymore...bring in some young kid

Miller, Brad
Rd 7 - 2002
Mt Gravatt (Qld)

As you can see Miller will be 27 in July. A long way off 30.

DL

What about putting Garland up forward for this game - 191cm and played all of his footy up forward as a junior?

That is another option but I'm not sure about it with the Dogs forward line, I fear we may need him down back more than up forward.

One thing is for certain, for the love of God LJ come back soon.

If i see one more person say Bruce was our best defender on the weekend I will loose it, he was too slow, could only handball and always put players under pressure, he missed tackles and couldnt apply pressure because he was too slow. I have always being a huge fan but this year the game has passed him and i'm sorry but at this stage there is no room for Bruce. We missed jordie badly and i hope he can come straight back in along with bail.

OUT:
Pettard
Bruce
Martin

IN
McKenzie
Bail
Strauss

If Bail or McKenzie is still unavailable I would love to see Gsyberts or Maric

Watts needs to earn his spot not just be gived games because he was a number 1 draft pick

Hi sorry for invading

Just wondering which end your cheersquad will be at this week. Thanks

If i see one more person say Bruce was our best defender on the weekend I will loose it, he was too slow, could only handball and always put players under pressure, he missed tackles and couldnt apply pressure because he was too slow. I have always being a huge fan but this year the game has passed him and i'm sorry but at this stage there is no room for Bruce. We missed jordie badly and i hope he can come straight back in along with bail.

OUT:
Pettard
Bruce
Martin

IN
McKenzie
Bail
Strauss

If Bail or McKenzie is still unavailable I would love to see Gsyberts or Maric

Watts needs to earn his spot not just be gived games because he was a number 1 draft pick

There is no way Bruce will be dropped, he is still an important link up player for us & he will probably get given his usual job on Johnson... Still an asset to the team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back