Preview Changes Vs Golden Toast

Remove this Banner Ad

In - A plan for Rowell, Anderson and Witts

Get that right and will go a long way to getting us a win.

Well we never tag.

But this year we have Harmes!

But we had Harmes yesterday, and we still didn't tag.

Maybe Bevo will use Harmes to tag next week?

But Harmes likely to be suspended.

So no tag next week either.

Rowell will bring his own ball next week ☹

Some over reactions based on one game. One game doesn't define form. I expect a few to bounce back next week. Team as a whole was poor.

Coffield stays for me. In my opinion not being noticed is not a bad thing, as normally when you get noticed as a defender, its because you got a bag kicked on you or you effed up big time. He was solid in the preseason games. Like a few players, will take a few more games to build in the back line chemistry.

I'd like to see Darcy / Bedendo. But we are then to tall. We would need to piss a tall or two right off.

I'd like to see Vanders and McNeil dropped though. They were pretty poor, like very very poor. Plus recent senior games going back into last years shows they likely won't develop much more. Both still make the same mistakes despite some years in the system. Neither have had a good game in ages.

Harmes given another game / benefit of the doubt.

I'd like to drop Lobb, but then if English decides to be ragdolled, we have no physical ruck presence. Darcy is still young. But stuff it....

IN: Darcy, Daniels, Macrae
OUT: Vanders, Lobb, McNeil

The only question there, would be who plays the small forward roles outside of Weightman and West?
Darcy showed more physicality in his one game against Reeves/Meek then Lobb/English have ever tbh, he’s slight but he’ll at least try IMO

We have as much chance Naughton going to the backline as the Airport in New Delhi never having a problem with overweight baggage 0

Naughton for all of his ability plays many average/to poor games forward it is worth a try to move him. He always gets beaten by May, Weitering and Taylor of the GWS. i think he is a great mark when he can run and jump but these days good backman rarely allow it.

If we had been consistent and a top 4 team over the last few seasons, then leave him forward. The fact is we have not and now we have the options as a second tall down back of Keath who looks past it, JOD still learning his craft, Buku to small or trying Astro.

I think Astro, JUH and Lobb/ Darcy is never going to work forward to make as top 4 team we have enough sample size to know it does not work consistently. If we had a good medium forward like a Fitsch who can get on the bike it may be a better option. I do not see JUH, Lobb and Darcy working. Maybe JUH, Darcy and Bebendo, no Lobb with Astro down back is worth a look. At worst it fails and we go back to Astro forward.

Do I think Bevo will do it no however he should change something because what we have got now is not working.

They brought Lobb in .Hoping it would bring success .Which was the right call.
As it worked out Darcy wasn't and by some still isn't ready.For me just play him.If that means Astro to backline and Buku to HBF .Fine.Or English to CHB or Deep forward sometimes then facilitate it.
Lobb will be better than last game.So they both must play.
Time the coaches and selecters pick the best players by reshaping.Including Darcy and Daniel.Otherwise it is indeed sabotage.
In Darcy Daniel
Out. 23 Rd and 24th players.Not rocket science!

Crazy that an AA ruck can be dominated so hard in the middle that a team has to move Rory Lobb to do most of the rucking instead.

Tim needs to be better if we have any chance this year.

We got selection wrong and O’Donnell was out.

Moving Naughton back just isn’t the answer. More poor ball users from back half is exactly what we don’t need.
He is an average shot at goal, but what are his statistics like in the field of play? What was his ball use like in his 1st year down back when he came 4th in our B & F? I can't remember him being to bad and I also have not seen his field kicking being below average but I may be wrong

We got selection wrong and O’Donnell was out.

Moving Naughton back just isn’t the answer. More poor ball users from back half is exactly what we don’t need.

I would like to see Naughton get on his bike and become a CHF.

Let him roam from 30 m out of goals to the centre and he can go to the flanks wings etc.

Naughton had a poor game but he still allows Jamarra to grab a lesser defender.

I think most would be underwhelmed with the results if Jamarra was the number one key forward taking the best defender.

The lack of speed on the ball made life pretty difficult for our forwards, meanwhile our zone got cut to ribbons.

Naughton would have kicked 5+ had he been playing for Melbourne on Sunday.

How do we fit Bedendo into the side with 3 tall forwards in the short to medium term?

I worry that they won’t even consider him because they feel like the talls need to be surrounded by zippy smalls (who offer nothing). Alternatively they bring him in as a wingman when all signs point to him being a genuine medium forward and play him out of position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let him roam from 30 m out of goals to the centre and he can go to the flanks wings etc.
I get that one man's collective wisdom can be another man's groupthink but isn't "getting on your bike" seen as the first choice tactic against May??? Do others think this? I can't understand why it wasn't used and Naughton staying home seemed to play into Mays hands all day

Give young Charlie Clarke a go will definitely do a better job then VDM And McNeil
I would just love for Arty Jones to press his case, but that vein of form from last year disappeared and hasn't been seen since.

A combination of West, Weightman and Jones as smalls in the fwd line would be a tough match-up for oppositions.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

He did this all preseason and was brilliant, for some reason we preferred him deep on the weekend though…. Just went away from what was working.

How do we fit Bedendo into the side with 3 tall forwards in the short to medium term?

I worry that they won’t even consider him because they feel like the talls need to be surrounded by zippy smalls (who offer nothing). Alternatively they bring him in as a wingman when all signs point to him being a genuine medium forward and play him out of position.
Can't see him fitting in unless he plays on a wing if Williams got injured.

Incidentally was in the food queue with him at the ground yesterday and he looks very fit, but by no means an imposing figure. Needs to eat a few more pies....

I would just love for Arty Jones to press his case, but that vein of form from last year disappeared and hasn't been seen since.

A combination of West, Weightman and Jones as smalls in the fwd line would be a tough match-up for oppositions.

The idea of Arty Jones is often better than the reality. I’d be willing to give Clarke a run first before giving Arty another shot

The idea of Arty Jones is often better than the reality. I’d be willing to give Clarke a run first before giving Arty another shot
Yep, he played a game last year where he had 70% time on ground but literally zero disposals. Not a small, irrelavent amount of disposals - literally zero disposals.

Until he proves it with good VFL form, despite his strengths with pressure and his ability once he actually does have ball in hand, I'm not sure what he's doing to demand selection above the games that he completely disappeared in in the second half of last year.

Naughton played up the ground for the first ten minutes, got space on may and then kicked a goal.

Then went deep forward. Either he disregarded instructions or the coaching was incompetent (probably the latter)

He probably expected faster ball movement which I feel was half the problem.
Naughton & JUH were swapping between up the ground and deep forward from what I saw. I don't necessarily disagree with that because both have very good attributes that are wasted as a pure deep forward. Allowing them to play both roles to keep them seperated is ideal.

That being said, they still do get way too close to each on forward entries. I back both of them one on one but it's very easy to defend when it's two on two.

Naughton for all of his ability plays many average/to poor games forward it is worth a try to move him. He always gets beaten by May, Weitering and Taylor of the GWS. i think he is a great mark when he can run and jump but these days good backman rarely allow it.

If we had been consistent and a top 4 team over the last few seasons, then leave him forward. The fact is we have not and now we have the options as a second tall down back of Keath who looks past it, JOD still learning his craft, Buku to small or trying Astro.

I think Astro, JUH and Lobb/ Darcy is never going to work forward to make as top 4 team we have enough sample size to know it does not work consistently. If we had a good medium forward like a Fitsch who can get on the bike it may be a better option. I do not see JUH, Lobb and Darcy working. Maybe JUH, Darcy and Bebendo, no Lobb with Astro down back is worth a look. At worst it fails and we go back to Astro forward.

Do I think Bevo will do it no however he should change something because what we have got now is not working.
Like this thinking. Need a second tall down back.

A few ideas:

1. If Naughton isn't going to offer an aerial contest and strong defensive pressure (his two strongest attributes) he should be dragged from full forward and play CHB where he needs to be accountable. He and Jones with Buku as the third are strong pillars. Red, Coff, JJ and Bramble the smalls.

2. Move Dale to a wing. Had a pretty shit game but at least tries to run and create overlap and bite off tougher kicks.

3. Lobb out, bring Darcy in. Darcy and Jamarra the two main tall targets with a smaller forward line around them. Weightman can play his natural game as a third aerial threat anyway. We're not doing shit this year and that's our future so give them time to gel.

4. Sanders to stay in the side (same as above, just get games into him, he'll be better for the run) Harmes out and Macrae in as the fifth mid rotation. With Naughton playing back, rotate bont more into the forward line to cause trouble. Treloar also on notice and needs to lay 10 tackles next game to stay in.

5. VDM out for Clarke and maybe Bedendo to play that higher wing role with Williams and Dale.

FB: Khamis Jones Coffield
HB Richards Naughton JJ
C: Williams Treloar Dale
HF: West Jamarra Daniel
FF: Clarke Darcy Weightman
R: English Bont Libba

I/C: Macrae, Sanders, Bedendo, Bramble

I don't care what score we kick I just want an elite pressure rating and to keep the suns to under 60 points.

A few ideas:

1. If Naughton isn't going to offer an aerial contest and strong defensive pressure (his two strongest attributes) he should be dragged from full forward and play CHB where he needs to be accountable. He and Jones with Buku as the third are strong pillars. Red, Coff, JJ and Bramble the smalls.

2. Move Dale to a wing. Had a pretty s**t game but at least tries to run and create overlap and bite off tougher kicks.

3. Lobb out, bring Darcy in. Darcy and Jamarra the two main tall targets with a smaller forward line around them. Weightman can play his natural game as a third aerial threat anyway. We're not doing s**t this year and that's our future so give them time to gel.

4. Sanders to stay in the side (same as above, just get games into him, he'll be better for the run) Harmes out and Macrae in as the fifth mid rotation. With Naughton playing back, rotate bont more into the forward line to cause trouble. Treloar also on notice and needs to lay 10 tackles next game to stay in.

5. VDM out for Clarke and maybe Bedendo to play that higher wing role with Williams and Dale.

FB: Khamis Jones Coffield
HB Richards Naughton JJ
C: Williams Treloar Dale
HF: West Jamarra Daniel
FF: Clarke Darcy Weightman
R: English Bont Libba

I/C: Macrae, Sanders, Bedendo, Bramble

I don't care what score we kick I just want an elite pressure rating and to keep the suns to under 60 points.
On paper not much here I would disagree with.

Won't happen though, seems some players can't be moved

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Vs Golden Toast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back