Preview Changes vs The Orange - GWS v WB, Rd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be Naughton back and Schache/JUH in...as much as i would hate to see it.
Schache, hopefully. Got the skill, but needs a change. The pressure would be on, but maybe he could do a Darcy Moore and succeed at the other end of the ground?

Speak of the devil, just marked and ... kicked a point in the last quarter for Footscray :-(

Lipinski, Sweet, Hannan, even Ugle-Hagan having great matches.

Lipinski has 35 touches, Sweet's tap work is very, very smart and effective.

Last edited:

How disheartened would Jesse Hogan be? Playing for GWS TWOs, and had a shyte game. Remember when he burst onto the scene for Melbourne?

Illness and lack of motivation have ended a promising career. Sad.

EDIT: know he kicked 4, but he would not crack it for a spot in our side.

Last edited:
Naughton's not moving from CHF unless we lose ALL those you mentioned, and Keath. Break glass, indeed.
That's my thinking too. Nobody really knows what Bevo will do but it's the sort of risky play he's likely to make.

That's my thinking too. Nobody really knows what Bevo will do but it's the sort of risky play he's likely to make.

I honestly think he would use Young and Khamis and hope to our score teams before he loved Naughton back now.

From the little bit I’ve heard we would need to lose both Bruce and Naughts for Schache to get close and maybe not even then

Last edited:
I honestly think he would use Young and Khamis and hope to our score teams before he loved Naughton back now.

From the little I’ve heard we would need to lose both Bruce and Naughts for Schache to get close and maybe not even then
So we shouldn't read too much into him being an emergency this week?

To underline this point, what's the contingency plan when Keath gets injured?

I don’t think anything drastic would happen. Probably just play two of Gardner, Young and Cordy. I don’t think Naughton is going back unless all four are down.

I have a feeling if Williams didn’t get injured we would have just replaced Young with Daniel and gone with the one key defender like they had named against Brisbane. We’ll never know though but think Bevo would trust the backline of Keath, Crozier, Wood, Williams, Dale, Duryea and Daniel.

Great selections
LJong is exactly what we need in the forward line i expect him to be more productive on the score sheet than mcneil
and more of an option in the air
as for toughness no competition
young is stiff but cordy is junkyard dog material which will be needed this round
the other ins are logical i think

Talk about toughness: not only do we have the grand entrance of the Junk Yard Dog, we also have the return of...the Spear Tackler. And then there is Lin Jong, who goes where smarter players fear to tread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think anything drastic would happen. Probably just play two of Gardner, Young and Cordy. I don’t think Naughton is going back unless all four are down.

I have a feeling if Williams didn’t get injured we would have just replaced Young with Daniel and gone with the one key defender like they had named against Brisbane. We’ll never know though but think Bevo would trust the backline of Keath, Crozier, Wood, Williams, Dale, Duryea and Daniel.
This is exactly what we’d do. Even against the Tigers who have two great key forwards, I could see Keath lining up on Lynch and then a combination of Wood, Crozier & Williams rotating through Riewoldt. I think he’s rather have an extra runner in the team and hope the team defence holds up, rather than play a below average KPD who doesn’t give us much else.

View attachment 1109218

This has to be the biggest Age/Experience advantage Bevo's ever had coaching us. Someone(WallyStringhaus) post the wins/losses as the less/more experienced team since 2015. I feel like we need an update/reminder on this: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/games-experience-a-lesson-in-tempering-expectations.1220424/

This is the worst GWS team we've played since the "rivalry" developed. But Toby Greene, love him or hate him, is a deadset champion player. If we manage to shut him down and/or deny him access then this should be an absolute smashing.

Pretty clear to some (I'm with you). Not clear at all to a lot of others gauging by the melts.
Where are the melts???? You should pop in here during the draft period....that's when you'll see melts. This is not the cheer squad though and debate about the team selections is one of the main reasons this forum exists.

How disheartened would Jesse Hogan be? Playing for GWS TWOs, and had a sh*te game. Remember when he burst onto the scene for Melbourne?

Illness and lack of motivation have ended a promising career. Sad.

EDIT: know he kicked 4, but he would not crack it for a spot in our side.
He's coming back from injury and just getting miles into his legs. He wasn't dropped. Will play seniors next week.

I probably would have given Young another go (largely because I'm sick of playing Cordy as the second KPD), but his previous game was horrendously unaccountable and showed off all the weaknesses that have limited him up to this point. I'm not surprised he went out.

Somewhat similarly, I can see what is holding Lipinski back, and I agree that it's a problem. It's never surprising to me when I see Lipi out. I think he was a bit unlucky on this occasion, personally, but it's not a shock.

I would love to see Cavarra get any sort of sustained run at it like others have been afforded. I'm just not clear what's holding him back at this stage. It does feel a little bit like anybody who isn't quick has had their papers stamped with our new game style, which may not be accurate, but it does feel that way. Again, though, it's not a surprise to see him come out.

The ones that confuse me a little bit are Jong in and Scott remaining in. Jong is a great clubman and played some good footy for us pre-injury last year, but on my viewing he hasn't really looked in great form. He accumulated in the VFL, as he always does, but his ball use and decision making were pretty horrendous, which has always been what has limited him at AFL level. I don't really get what he's offering over others in the side.

With Scott, too, there is obviously something he's doing really well, because this is a long time to persist even for Bev. I really wish I knew what it was. It doesn't look like he's playing any specific important role, having been played down back and then moved forward, he's not winning the ball, he's not shutting anyone down, and he's not having an offensive influence on the game. I can't see it.

Overall, it's a surprise to see this many changes and I'm not sure I see the logic behind all of them. That said, the changes themselves aren't horrendous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back