Channel 10, please remove Robert Walls

Remove this Banner Ad

Walls' winning the AFMA award for best special comments man shows how poor they all are.

Thing is even nine were crap - Derm and Lyon were blithering the obvious as well week in and week out.

The best special comments man has been Leigh Matthews. I can tolerate Blight's banters as well in fixed, small doses.

As for GF announcing team - ideal mix would be Cometti, Lane and Matthews.

Huddo is ok, but still a bit dry for me, needs to impart more of his personality in the call - like JB does but Brayshaw's voice can grate after a while.

Walls is dating the mother of a good friend of mine, I've met him in a social situation and asked him about his commentary.

He says, and I quote "You have to come up with something 50% of people will disagree with". And it looks like it's working considering he has a thread on here about him!

I thought he was a bit of a w***er before I met him but he's a really likeable bloke and I actually think a lot of what he says on the box is pretty perceptive.

Walls was shocking till about the end of 05, where he seemed to focus less on Mal Michael/Ben Rutten's thighs, or letting us know that "he tipped this".

Nowhere near as bad as Brian Taylor, who seems to genuinely think that he's funny/entertaining and that people would rather listen to his ridiculous comments rather than the game itself.

Matthew Campbell, Cometti, and Voss for mine (even if I appear to be the only one who can look past Voss' overuse of blokey language to find him rather insightful)

If you had to compare Walls and Blight i'd take Walls all day long, but really there isn't much in it.

I love Commetti, Grybas is good, Huddo's enthusiam is great, Voss is still working out what works for him, give him a break.

In the meantime, Wallsy continues to get paid six figures to provide special comments on three of the branches of media that cover AFL football. I doubt he gives a 'rats....' what anyone on BF thinks of him.

Which obviously means we're not allowed to express an opinion. :rolleyes:

Walls is nothing but a low-life scum sucker
:confused:

How do you manage to get that opinion of Walls from his commentary?

"Assessments" like that make threads like this just look like the usual BigFooty hysteria rather than anything objective.

I reckon one of the best special comments guys is dermot brerroton when he was doing it for channel 9 everything he said was pretty much spot on. He was very good at reading the game and predicting what would happen in each passage of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the most annoying commentators going around, I hope he gets the sack one day.

Annoying, whinging, whiny, nob. Can't stand him :thumbsdown:

"Assessments" like that make threads like this just look like the usual BigFooty hysteria rather than anything objective.
Well I think the "I want good to overcome evil" line says a bit about his character ;)

Nah the blokes okay but he says some pretty stupid stuff no doubt.

Walls is dating the mother of a good friend of mine, I've met him in a social situation and asked him about his commentary.

He says, and I quote "You have to come up with something 50% of people will disagree with". And it looks like it's working considering he has a thread on here about him!

I thought he was a bit of a w***er before I met him but he's a really likeable bloke and I actually think a lot of what he says on the box is pretty perceptive.

Interesting insight, plenty of sports pundits go for that as does your average shock jock. Still hate him.

The term "Wallsism" should be coined for a Robert special - "Chris Tarrant needs to lead out in front of goal instead of heading out towards the boundary. Tarrant doesn't have the impact that a truly imposing forward should."

a quarter of football later after a couple of goals from said player....

"Fantastic pace on the lead from Tarrant there, finding space out in the pocket. Such a vital part of this team and a forward who causes even the quickest defenders problems."

He's the one commentator who forgets his earlier gibberish consistently. Can't be taken seriously under any circumstances.

He changes his mind so often.

I still remember a game Port vs Brisbane, where Brisbane were leading to begin with and he went on about how awesome the BRisabne side was, and Port weren't as good etc.

THen Port hit the front and waltzed away and he changed his tune and said Brisbane were ageing and old, and Port were young and exciting or some other horse crap

I'm watching the replay now. I've never liked him.. but this is absolutely pathetic. Telling the captain he can't celebrate etc.

There is no place for such biased, pathetic morons in commentating.

Ok Robert Walls as a "football commentator" is a low life scum sucker, not as a person

Having said that you'd think a school teacher of all people would know that "his" is not pronounced "hes"... :eek:

I think he is more negative than he should be, and does like to harp on and something in particular. I'd rather Malcolm Blight. He might be a bit behind the times, but is insightful enough and doesn't whinge consistantly.

Alot of people dislike Walls, i dont mind him to be honest, he often says things that I disagree with but so does every commentator.

There are plenty of other commentators that I would like to drop off before him.

Vossy is one of them. Start coaching please.

i agree with this.....don't much like walls but i think he brings something to the commentary team....don't like voss at all, and i want tim lane back for the GF

He was so anti-port yesterday it was disgusting.

yeah, i will say he seemed to call yesterday's game veyr much from a pro-victorian viewpoint, rather than as an impartial observer....but there's worse examples of bias among callers....and almost anyone on 10 is better than bruce, geez, he ruins friday night footy

He is an oxygen thief. Damaging the AFL brand with the shite he served up on saturday. Everyone knows he hates Port, but you'd think he could find the professionalism to hide it for 2 hours. Walls is Victorias KG, and you can't insult a man any worse than that.

I do no understand for the life of me how Throbbie gets all these media awards!?!?

Best special comments man? What ... for stating the obvious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 10, please remove Robert Walls

Remove this Banner Ad

Back