The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
We're better than Saints: Chapman
15 March 2004 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

THE better team did not win the Wizard Cup grand final.

That's the latest provocative statement directed at St Kilda from Geelong.

The scoreboard may have shown St Kilda was 22 points superior in the pre-season decider at Telstra Dome on Saturday, but the Cats reiterated their pre-match beliefs after the game.

Midfielder Paul Chapman said the loss would provide Geelong with ample motivation for the rematch -- in 12 days' time at Telstra Dome in Round 1 of the premiership season.

"There is a positive in everything and I will say it again -- I reckon we are a better side than the Saints," Chapman said.

"We let ourselves down and that is something we are all going to have to handle now, that we let each other down, and the club.

"In saying that, it does give us more ammo for Round 1, next time we play them.

"We know we are much better than them and I think it will show then."

Geelong's internal critique of the match was largely positive, but the final quarter fadeout -- 1.4.1 to 0.0.1 -- will be the subject of much analysis this week.

Coach Mark Thompson told his players to be proud not only of the grand final effort, but the three-match lead-in.

He told them the wins against Port Adelaide, Carlton and Melbourne, and the first three quarters against St Kilda, proved that strong hopes of a climb up the ladder were justified.

"We will have a look at the last quarter during the week to see where we went wrong and make sure we change it for Round 1," Chapman said.

"We would have beaten anyone for three quarters. If we had played four quarters, we would have had it.

"We stopped doing the things we were doing right. We tried to protect the game, defend the game, rather than keep attacking as we had been doing.

"In the end that bit us on the bum.

"I think we were still positive, but we just didn't want to get out of our comfort zone, didn't take as many risks or run as hard forward."

In the build-up to the grand final, Brenton Sanderson accused Aaron Hamill of on-field "cheap shots" and also expressed disappointment at the perceived favouritism given to the Saints in the media.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umm, have a look at the scoreboard Pauly. Great opportunity to show your side was better last Saturday night. Lets see in two weeks hey Pauly.

Geez what good losers these whiners are.

'We are better than Richmond" -Grant Thomas, after being flogged by Richmond.

Turned out he was probably right in the end didnt it?

If the Geelong players don't think they are better than they might as well concede round 1 now. Putting it in the media may not have been the smartest thing though.

Chapman is a tosser

he said the same thing after the Premlim against the Demons

who does he think they are, the brisbane Lions?

Chapman you dumb ****, your team is ****

Originally posted by Fireman
we did it, they did it, it's just a dumb thing to do full stop.
Ungracious in defeat.

Agreed 100%. But it is a bit rich of saints fans to have a go at chapman for doing the same thing that their coach did 12 months earlier.

Originally posted by marcuz
Agreed 100%. But it is a bit rich of saints fans to have a go at chapman for doing the same thing that their coach did 12 months earlier.

Port01 and marcuz, you are both dead right, and didn't Thomas cop a pasting (rightfully) for it.

Chapman should be critisised heavily for it also.

Just the next chapter in the Geelong complain-athon going on presently.

Shannon Noll eat your heart out. Cant wait to hear Thompsons version of "What about me".

Interestingly Thomas was on radio today saying that if they had of lost that the Saints would have statyed on the ground as a mark of respect for the Cats. Obviously the Cats dont respect St.Kilda and the coach pointedly noted this.

This is just an example of more disrespect and being ungracious in defeat by Geelong.

Originally posted by The Fireman
we did it, they did it, it's just a dumb thing to do full stop.
Ungracious in defeat.
It can be seen that way. On the other hand you want your players to hurt when they lose and believe they can get "get 'em next time". If Geelong and St.Kilda are going to be fighting for finals victories against each other over the next few years (still a big if at this stage) a bit of a rivalry won't do either side any harm either.

FWIW Chapman is way off the mark. Saints are a fair bit better and have a lot more up side IMO so maybe he should have said it on the field.

Bah, who did Thompson learn from? Thats right the AFL's great whinger, Kevin Sheedy. Pretty poor form all round from the Cats, they are obviously trying to talk the talk.

All the talk about Hammill pre-game, the free in the last and now this, pretty weak. Keep it behind closed doors where it belongs.

Originally posted by morgoth
Bah, who did Thompson learn from? Thats right the AFL's great whinger, Kevin Sheedy. Pretty poor form all round from the Cats, they are obviously trying to talk the talk.

All the talk about Hammill pre-game, the free in the last and now this, pretty weak. Keep it behind closed doors where it belongs.

Worlds collide morgoth, i agree with you. :D :D

Originally posted by MarkT
It can be seen that way. On the other hand you want your players to hurt when they lose and believe they can get "get 'em next time". If Geelong and St.Kilda are going to be fighting for finals victories against each other over the next few years (still a big if at this stage) a bit of a rivalry won't do either side any harm either.

FWIW Chapman is way off the mark. Saints are a fair bit better and have a lot more up side IMO so maybe he should have said it on the field.
lol yep thats what its all about, they are just talking the talk, comments like that really don't concern me although I did cringe a bit when GT did it.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the players don't believe in themselves, who will?

Geelong's torrent of words is certainly bringing them the desired publicity.

Must say, I'm glad we've stayed out of the slanging match. I respect the Cats for their brave showing, but they seem really keen to sink the verbal boot in.

Tommorow...?

"We are giving them a real lesson today," Information Minister Frank Costa told a news conference.

"They are not near Geelong; don't believe them," he said, dismissing as a "chain of lies" reports that the St Kilda and Fremantle teams were closing in on the provincial club. "They are trapped everywhere in the country. We will keep them on the move. They are nowhere - they are nowhere, really."

Good on Chappy.

How many times over the last few days have I read on these boards how **** weak Geelong are, and yet everytime they stand up for themselves they get shot down again.

As long as they've learnt a lesson from the match on Saturday night and rectify it in Round 1, I don't care what they say.

And I also agree with Evertonfc, in that at least this is getting us some publicity and we are all finally hearing some stories about football and not off-field crap that we must put up with every off-season.

Originally posted by benny's buddy
Good on Chappy.

How many times over the last few days have I read on these boards how **** weak Geelong are, and yet everytime they stand up for themselves they get shot down again.

Fair enough, but it might be taken with a little more credibility if Chapmans team actually beat the team they are supposedly better than :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nah

thompson is trying to psyche his players up.

a bunker theory - works well to a point.
Geelong went ok, and nearly won the game, they HAVE to believe they are good enough or they'll always lose.

bummer thompson knows this, essendon always believed they were the better side, which is why they won so many games. same as hawthorn in the 80s.

they won a swag of games on sheer arrogance.

same as brisbane now.

you need the winners mentality.

bummer may be a tosser, but he's a smart cookie.

I don't think geelong believed how good they were in the 90s, and so went into games hoping to win, west coast, brisbane, even north and adeliade went into games EXPECTING TO WIN.

that is why lethal is such a good coach.

Thomas and thompson are jsut taking leaves out of the lethal/sheedy/parkin book.

you can't defeat sides, who you think are better than you.

collingwood hope to beat brisbane, brisbane EXPECT to beat collingwood.

port have this as a problem now too.

if geelong don't EXPECT to beat st kilda, they'll never win the games that count.

Give bummer thompson credit where credit is due, he does give a toss that we all think he's a tosser, what his team believes it can do is all that counts.

Originally posted by marcuz
Im actually looking forward to the rematch in round 1, should be a cracker of a match. These two clubs obviously do not like each other. Might become one of the better new age rivalries in the AFL

The talk is only coming from one club.

Then again Bomber Thompson was only 15 minutes away from being hailed a genius for his work last week.

I'm looking forward to the game. Geelong came to play on Saturday night and only just fell short. We won't be so lucky next time.

Everyone has their way of doing things!!! the young saints are about their footy quietly pumped on improving themselves not worried about oths. YES thomas said the same thing but he learnt from that mistake and has since said that was wrong to do so!

Chapman is probably frustrated and doesnt realise the uneccassary pressure he put on himself today!!! he will learn too!! Actually I thought they wouldve learnt from last week to just get on with the game (not creating a verbal war) IT ACTUALLY COST THEM THE GAME!!!

Only greats like Ali can pull these stunts off I think this will just confuse the boy Chapman!!
I also reckon the cats played one out of the box on saturday considering the way the were against Melbourne and carlton!!!

GO SAINTS!
Saints by over 40pts Round 1

Just gives us more incentive to smash them in round 1

A little rivalry is developing between Geelong and the Saints. This can only be a good thing, as it promotes interest for the supporters of the two clubs, meaning increased crowd numbers and thus more money for the clubs. Keep talking crap Geelong :)

and whats with all this"we were the better team for 3 quaters"
stkilda won the first and last quaters, geelong won the second and the third was equal, so go figure.
hopefully we give them more things to complain about in 2 weeks!

3rd quarter was a tie, on the scoreboard at least. According to Geelong's stats that matter they won it, and according to ours we won it. I say let's just call it a tie.

fight you bustards fight

I love it - fantastic gameship. I am one WCE supporter who got a real buzz out of the final and am now looking forward to the replay which is guaranteed to be a Telstra Dome sell out.

GO CATS, GO CATS, GO CATS GO!!!!!!

Originally posted by Savatage
All this emotion from a game that means **** all.

Sure it was nice to win and all, but talk about going overboard for a practise game!

Mate the day that $200,000, playing for the jumper in front of 50,000 people against a rival team and having your team placed in the history books as champions IS CONSIDERED ****ALL then what will be the point of Football??? Its a season and how much does the team who wins the premiership get??? (serious I wanna know!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Chapman: We are better than the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back