Chapman: We are better than the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

They weren't "middle of the road". 2006 was a car-crash of a season (similar in many ways to our 2009), but both were young, talented teams that rose together in 2004, but took 3-5 years to peak.

That's a pretty normal maturation rate, they just both had mini-peaks at the start of their progression.

Hawthorn 08 was similar to the Cats/Saints 04, though obviously with a much younger list. We are looking at 2011-2013 being our "peak" time, equivalent to where the Cats and Saints have been from 2007 until now.

Most teams have a PF experience before making a GF. Most experience a GF loss (or PF loss) before winning a premiership. Most teams contend for 3 years, 1 on the ascenscion, 1 at their peak, 1 on the way back down.

Most aren't good enough to ever win. Some are good enough to win once. Some are good enough to win twice. One was lucky enough to win 3 times.

Some win very early in their development (Hawks 08, Bombers 93), others late (Lions 03, Port 04, Swans 05).

Generally, teams contend "one more time" before age/salary cap catches up with them.

Geelong may well be in their final year of contention - or they may have "just one more". History (and 2010) will show whether this was a very good team that peaked at the right time - or a great team that really was "that good".

Saints may have reached their peak (their 08 ruined by injury), or they might just be entering their prime now. Either way, they should have at least one more season of genuine contention.

Sorry mate, but the consensus among football commentators and historcists is now that this Geelong team is one of the greats, not just very good.

There are good reasons for this.

Geelong have made three consecutive GF's, and won two premierships. They are twice H and A premiers. They have garnered a record 15 AA players from one list, and two brownlow medalists. They are the first team EVER to win 18 or more games in a season three years in a row; have the best win/loss ratio over the same period; and have set records for games won over a 25, 50 and 75 game period. This one list has three times bettered the best winning streak of many clubs over their entire 100 year history (your own included). There are various (and many) other inter-club records they have set and awards that they have also won.

Any reasonable football fan (or anyone who doesn't barrack for hawthorn) will recognise in the above a great football team. The premiership won on Saturday confirmed this. Actually, i am positive that if the above could be said about the current Hawthorn team you would be considering them among the greats.

If Geelong win next years flag then they will go from being considered a great to one of the 'greatest' teams of all time, taking a place beside Collingwood of the late 20's-early 30's, Melbourne of the 50's, Hawthorn of the 80's, and Brisbane of the 00's.

I have to say, I feel let down by alot of Saints fans since the Grand Final. Everyone seems to be fighting and bickering rather than accepting what happened and moving on from it.

I was pissed when Chapman first said this.

I thought that he was being an arrogant prick, much like Grant Thomas was a year earlier against Richmond, and that we had the better team. After all we'd just proved it.

I think that since then the teams have taken two different paths to get to the same destination.

The Cats had a team of 'borderline' players who were expected to break out but just couldn't seem to do it. The Saints had A-Graders up and down the field, they just needed to gel. This was the general consensus among "experts"

I think that Mark Thompson and the Cats were stung a little and really put their heads down while the Saints in fighting cost them a shot with what was, on paper, a better team than what we have now.

Anyone who doesn't think the Cats are better is a fool. Even if we win the flag next year we would still be the Port Adelaide to their Brisbane. We could've won in '04. We should've won in '05 and it all fell apart. Under Lyon we have a system that looks to be good for a long period of success. If we can get 4-5 years of top level footy out of this group like the Swans did we will get the flag we are so desperate to see.

Only then can we even think about trying to be remembered on the same level as Geelong in this era.

The Cats had a team of 'borderline' players who were expected to break out but just couldn't seem to do it. The Saints had A-Graders up and down the field, they just needed to gel. This was the general consensus among "experts"

That's the rub, right there. In the mid 2000s, Geelong were looked at as a decent group, but their best players were regarded as being just very good, not elite (except possibly Scarlett). The moral of this is there really isn't that much difference between the top side and mediocrity, not as much as everyone thinks. And a lot of it has to do with belief.

Same destination?

Obviously you guys have taken that final step but I have no doubt that we are now just as strong as you. I also think we might be up for a little longer than you from here on.

We were both up in 04 n 05. Both fell in '06.

Your mob bonded, backed themselves and grew into the best in the land.

Mine freaked out and we shot ourselves in the foot.

Your mob dominated 07/08/09

I feel confident that mine can dominate 09/10/11 in the same way.

Hopefully our return on investment is as good as your was!

Obviously you guys have taken that final step but I have no doubt that we are now just as strong as you. I also think we might be up for a little longer than you from here on.

We were both up in 04 n 05. Both fell in '06.

Your mob bonded, backed themselves and grew into the best in the land.

Mine freaked out and we shot ourselves in the foot.

Your mob dominated 07/08/09

I feel confident that mine can dominate 09/10/11 in the same way.

Hopefully our return on investment is as good as your was!

You will never get a better chance than you had this year.

Cracks me up when some Cats flog resurrects this or one of the other threads on it thinking that what happens now is in anyway relevent to when some sad sack of a player claimed to be a better team after losing :)

I will grant you as a better team last year and on the day this year but the relevence to Chappy trying to suck his own **** fails to strike me :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's still deliciously ironic that the flog OP challenged Chapman's claims, when all signs point to Chapman being spot on ever since.
Put simply, 2 > 0.

:eek:

No you complete tosspot. I challenged Chapmans claim on the 14th of March 2004 - two weeks later his team was beaten again by about ten goals. So much for ever since.

Even this year the Saints beat the Cats. In the GF the Cats played a great game and deserved to win so in 2009 are better.

In 2004 Chapman was WRONG.

If he came out and siad that now he would be correct.

Yeah great cabbage. Fair Dinkum is this how pathetic and purile BF has become with these 15 y.o.s on here :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cracks me up when some Cats flog resurrects this or one of the other threads on it thinking that what happens now is in anyway relevent to when some sad sack of a player claimed to be a better team after losing :)

I will grant you as a better team last year and on the day this year but the relevence to Chappy trying to suck his own **** fails to strike me :p

Sad sack of a player? he tore your boys a new one and walked away the Norm Smith medalist, fair to say he walked the walk. ;)

go chappy!
Agreed. What a gun!

r442944_2140961.jpg

Here is some Sad sack of a player.........

921199-nick-riewoldt.jpg

Never?

lol, tatts numbers please nostradamus :rolleyes:

He's not saying they can't win.

He is saying that they will be lucky to go 20-2, guaranteed double chance, home finals, two wins in finals, straight through to GF, many chances to seal the game.....

It is hard to envisage a scenario where they will have a better chance than they did this year.

No you complete tosspot. I challenged Chapmans claim on the 14th of March 2004 - two weeks later his team was beaten again by about ten goals. So much for ever since.

Even this year the Saints beat the Cats. In the GF the Cats played a great game and deserved to win so in 2009 are better.

In 2004 Chapman was WRONG.

If he came out and siad that now he would be correct.

Yeah great cabbage. Fair Dinkum is this how pathetic and purile BF has become with these 15 y.o.s on here :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The thing is, Chapman wasn't talking about who was the better side then.

The whole hoo-ha around that time was about the up & coming young Saints, and how much potential they showed for the future.
After Geelong beat the Saints in Round 22, 2003 (Aug 30), Mark Thompson came out and said something like, "everyone is going on about how good the Saints are. Well, we feel like we've got a pretty good young group of players down here as well."
It was all about the young players who were being developed (i.e. all in regards to FUTURE POTENTIAL).

Chappy then reiterated that message in early 2004 by saying he thought Geelong were the better side, not strictly in relation to that moment in time, but in terms of their list and the future potential of it. That's what the whole 'media circus' was about.

Why would any player and coach come out and brag in the media about the current 12th placed side (which Geelong were) being slightly better than the 11th placed side (which the Saints were)? You're not going to see Paul Roos and Brett Kirk come out in the media and say, "Oh, but we think we are better than West Coast, even though they finished one spot above us on the ladder." That makes so sense.

The whole issue and 'rivalry' was centred around who had the better young players - which is all about potential.

Maybe the Saints were arguing for who was better at the time (and whoopdedoo, you won a pre-season flag!), but from the Cats perspective, it was all about our young players compared to your young players, and who was going to turn out best.

The record books now make that well and truly clear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chapman: We are better than the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back