Charity match for the Queensland Floods

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just going to float this on here (although it is probably not the word to use at this time).

We all know how devastating the fllods throughout Queensland and in Brisbane have been and will be (and we hope those up there remain safe and dry).

But, could the AFL either stage a charity football match or ask as an example, the NAB Cup night that sees Brisbane playing Essendon and St. Kilda to help raise funds for those affected?

2 years ago, the match Essendon and Footscray played in the NAB Cup was a charity fund raiser for the Black Saturday bushfires so the precedent is there.

Plan's are in action for an 'event' to be held between Gold Coast Suns, Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Titans, Brisbane Bronco's.

I have NFI as to what exactly it is, but I think it is an event of a neutral sport (cricket maybe). Will be an awesome way to raise some money for affected communities if there was a 4 team round robin or something :thumbsu:

Source is Hot Tomato radio station - Mentioned it this morning, but were hesitant on releasing more details

Plan's are in action for an 'event' to be held between Gold Coast Suns, Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Titans, Brisbane Bronco's.

I have NFI as to what exactly it is, but I think it is an event of a neutral sport (cricket maybe). Will be an awesome way to raise some money for affected communities if there was a 4 team round robin or something :thumbsu:

Source is Hot Tomato radio station - Mentioned it this morning, but were hesitant on releasing more details

Get on the Lions to win - JB was a vey handy all rounder, Left Arm Medium / Right Hand Top Order - could have gone a long way.

water polo perhaps?

Rodney Eade has put his hand up to get involved somehow.

But seriously, the AFL have tipped in $500K and are looking at doing something more

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106643/default.aspx

"After the immediate crisis subsides, we will also consider what else we can do in conjunction with our clubs and AFL Queensland to support the communities impacted by the floods."

As well as in WA

"We are also very aware of the impact of floods on the Carnarvon region of Western Australia. One option could be to use the first week of the NAB Cup in Perth to support the Carnarvon community, but we will discuss all options with Fremantle and the West Coast Eagles."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106643/default.aspx

:thumbsu:

It seems some players are already behind the idea, an All-Star vs a QLD side (composite GC and Lions) would be the way to go IMO.

Scott Pendlebury on twitter today;

SP_10 Scott Pendlebury

The AFL should put on a hall of fame tribute game with all proceeds going to the QLD floods appeal. Do it mid season! Thoughts?

The AFL has to organise something, Warnie is already well in the process of getting a 20/20 charity game going at the G (similar to the one held in 2004 after the Tsunami), and Micheal Gudinski is looking at having a concert on the same day in conjunction with Warne's efforts.

Timmy Cahill has already got on board and has put a trip up for auction I'm pretty sure

We need big personalities in Australia taking action - it will get everybody else to do the same

Am pretty sure Freo just left for pre-season training camp so discussions might not be on atm, but would be good to do a game maybe before the NAB cup?

Would be a far far better charity than that mainwairing game - maybe replace the charity for that and the name to help the flood (and now fire) victims in WA and Australia - Telethon already made about $9mil or something in one weekend

i think for the bushfire appeal the AFL donated all proceeds - including player payments - from a Western Bulldogs v Essendon NAB Cup match...worth 1.2 million all up and included 70,000 collected on the day at the stadium. Id say something similar will happen again.

this worked before and would again.

doubt any form of charity match would work unless it is full of retired players due to the pre-season plans of all clubs and the specific management for many players.

Add in the match with donated items from players of all clubs to an auction if all clubs want to participate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

depending on how it effects the rest of the country would the AFL donate all earnings from one whole weekend?

Good idea though on the charity matches, Shane Warne is on twitter trying to orgainse a 20/20 between all stars, Grammy also said the AFL should donate $1Mil from the GF replay

Really hope the AFL completely dedicate all profits from a NAB Cup match at least. I like the idea of the four QLD AFL/NRL teams playing a charity cricket match.

The best idea for the AFL would be to build an event around the Collingwood/Carlton/Richmond NAB Cup fixture. They could make it huge, perhaps even in conjunction with other events.

Imagine a day at the G with a 20/20 Cricket game followed by AFL. It'd make millions.

Vic vs All stars.

Lions/suns vs afl team sounds good!

interesting idea, doubt it will get up. The NAB cup idea of gate receipts/player payments being donated from various games is a more realistic. Specifically running a game the night before the NAB cup GF ignores the fact that no-one will know who will actually be playing until the week before so there's no way of releasing players etc to train with a squad.
I'd leave a specific charity game to warnie and the cricketers and instead run either a NAB cup round special or even Round #1 in the AFL as a special flood relief round which would gain more interest and dollars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Charity match for the Queensland Floods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back