News Charlie and the Lions Factory - the Everlasting Charlie Cameron Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, with how people are losing their heads over draft picks, i can't wait to see all the 200 game guns that are coming out of the top 20 of this draft. Who knew this draft was such a guaranteed sure fire way to get some gun players.
And none of them are going home either!

Yep, pretty hard to refute when the club absolutely stuffed up its trade period paying overs for average players and accepting massive unders for a former pick 2 KPF that aside from second year blues, will be a premier forward of the comp in years to come.

There's always a danger in trying to predict the future by stating definitives that haven't happened yet.

Okay so the club stuffed up this trade period but still signed off on all the trades??

How inept do you think our club is. Jesus I would love to see some of you in charge for a trade period. Let's see how you make these wonderous trades happen

Yep, pretty hard to refute when the club absolutely stuffed up its trade period paying overs for average players and accepting massive unders for a former pick 2 KPF that aside from second year blues, will be a premier forward of the comp in years to come.

Big call. Game is moving away from Josh's type of forward. Not overly fast or agile, no aggression to break packs. Not really sure what sort of key position he plays like to be honest. A better argument is probably why did we use pick 2 on a player that had a strong carnival based - in part - to his physical dominance over smaller opponents.

Was a shit trade 2 hours ago and is still a shit trade now. Seriously... why not get the pick 15 in from Richmond first and then meet in the middle of 12 and 18...

But what with? 20 wouldn't have done it. 43 on top of 20 woudn't have been accepted. You wouldn't trade 18 and 20. Richmond didn't want Schache, given that he was contracted at a rate higher than a draftees wage and quite possibly couldn't squeeze his salary in. However the Tigers could get an extra draftee in, (one in place of 15 [i.e 20] and an extra pick at 25)

The Lions desperately wanted Cameron and saw Schache as a way of keeping three first rounders and getting a contracted Cameron. I guess in the end they saw the small forward / midfield depth issue as a greater priority than keeping an extra tall forward. It's been a well acknowledged weakness in our senior team structure. Given that Schache want happy to return to Victoria if a trade could be organised that was in the "best interests" of the Brisbane Lions, trading him was the way forward. Certainly I've never claimed anywhere that Schache would definitely not be traded. The ball was always in Brisbane's court and they could choose to hit it anywhere and anyway they wanted. They made that decision today, when they were offered what they wanted, from two clubs (the Dogs and Richmond).

My point from the start has been that Noble has stated all along he was after a fair and equal trade for Schache that served the best interests of the Brisbane Lions and that if one couldn't be found he would stay. It wasn't a fire sale (i.e get rid of at any cost) and some of the BS speculating why he wanted to go and why no Victorian club supposedly wanted him, (because there were no known offers for him) was over the top at times, especially on a couple of boards in particular.

Now some can dispute the "fair and equal" part and I'm sure they will, given that Noble has also consistently stated that they want to build the club through the draft. And Schache was a Pick 2 and contracted. That's a fair point. However the Lions clearly felt that trading Schache was in the best interests of the structure of the Brisbane Lions playing list and by extension the on-field structure and hence the club. That's especially given that Ballenden is now almost certainly going to become a Lion (thanks to the extra picks we now have). That's irrrespective of where a bid comes. And on top of that we're guaranteed some other youngsters on top of that, ether at 15, 18, 40, 44 and 52, including maybe an extra Academy player. Hopefully the youngsters are drafted before the bid for Ballenden comes. If it doesn't come where we hope (say at Pick 14) we match with 15 and still pick up some youngsters at 18, 40, 44, 52 and wherever Pick 15 ends up at the back end of the draft.

Whatever the case, Ballenden can and will be used as a tall forward along with Hipwood, Close (maybe) and Walker.

Cameron solves the small forward issue and could also possibly be used as a midfielder, or allow Christenson / Taylor to be freed up to get into the midfield, providing a partial replacement for Rockliff.

The midfield depth will be augmented by Pick 1 and quite possibly Pick 15 and/or 18. Maybe there'll be a FA midfielder available at 52.

Under those above circumstances, the trade is reasonable. Is it in the best interests of the club and playing list structure? I think so.

Was the trade 'fair and equal'? Not in isolation. As part of the bigger picture in terms of players in and players out, probably slightly unders overall, but still reasonable. If you want 'reasonable' to equate that with "fair and equal", then yeah go ahead and do so. It's a legitimate view. If not, well I can understand why some might not think that way and that's also a legitimate view. I guess it depends on how you view the overall trade period - whether in the context of specific individual trades or the overall picture.

Bottom line is that the messaging from the Lions over the trade period has been consistent and the overall trading picture after this last day seems to match reasonably well with what has been said. Circumstances change, opportunities arise, deadlines approach and what happens in the end may look different in mechanics from what we probably would have expected. I'm quite happy with our position as we move into the draft.

Last edited:
Noble... unbelievable. He's hopeless.

But you should be more annoyed at his manager. Comes out a few days in and says to the world that Pick 18 is on the table. Made us have a crack at 12.
Funny. You didn't have him last year & refused to pay 2 x firsts for gibbs. Maybe noble does & maybe crows win a flag this year. Then you end up paying a similar price a year later anyway.

It's 6 draft spots, not worth losing a player over for a year. We get to work a year earlier on our rebuild

I know a lot of people don't like Jack Riewoldt but he showed how a "power" forward goes about in the modern game by how he played in the GF.

He smashed packs all game, took a few marks but didn't have a big impact with his personal score (goals).

What he did do was put evrything on the line in the interest of creating spillages for his fleet of crumbers to work with.

Not in a pink fit can I imagine Schache or his style of player having this type of impact.

I know a lot of people don't like Jack Riewoldt but he showed how a "power" forward goes about in the modern game by how he played in the GF.

He smashed packs all game, took a few marks but didn't have a big impact with his personal score (goals).

What he did do was put evrything on the line in the interest of creating spillages for his fleet of crumbers to work with.

Not in a pink fit can I imagine Schache or his style of player having this type of impact.

Hippy on the other hand :)

The more I think about 12 for Cameron, the more I have been able to reconcile the trade.

Would anyone here do a direct swap of Cameron to GC in exchange for Pearce Hanley?

OMG no. Charlie all the way baby. We will look back at this trade and say it was a steal. Even when he was down this year crows still played him. They rate him highly and didn't want to let him go but in the end (like us and Schache) no point hanging on to players that don;t want to be there

It's not the end of the world guys. You always got to pay more for contracted players. Look at what we paid for Gibbs and he's 29 ffs. At least Cameron has maybe 10 years of good footy left in him. We will be lucky to get two good years out of Gibbs.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the trade. The major head scratcher here is Cameron's ongoing development. He's quite an inconsistent player but his best footy is very good. If your coaches can get him to perform like he did in the prelim more often than not, you won't give a shit about losing pick 12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look we are guaranteed a top 22 player for years to come..... at his best Cameron is absolutely elite and worth every penny.

Huge defensive pressure....
Huge line breaking speed giving our forwards someone to lead towards.

Was flat at first..... but look at how pick 2 turned out for us.....

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Look we are guaranteed a top 22 player for years to come..... at his best Cameron is absolutely elite and worth every penny.

Huge defensive pressure....
Huge line breaking speed giving our forwards someone to lead towards.

Was flat at first..... but look at how pick 2 turned out for us.....

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
People should just keep watching his highlight tapes.

Funny. You didn't have him last year & refused to pay 2 x firsts for gibbs. Maybe noble does & maybe crows win a flag this year. Then you end up paying a similar price a year later anyway.

It's 6 draft spots, not worth losing a player over for a year. We get to work a year earlier on our rebuild

Absolutely.
It is only 6 draft spots. With an even draft field, where you can throw a blanket over 12-15 players after the top 4-5, this year was not the year to haggle over 6 draft spots. Cameron will be a fan favourite and will be a jet for us. Rather we get him now than wait 12 months.
We traded pick 12 for a player that has been in the system for 4-5 years and his best football is ahead of him - 8-10 year player.
Adel gave up 10 & 16 for a player, whose best is behind him and only has 3-4 years left.

Seems to be the cliched expectation that Cameron will be worse off in our team but I'm bullish. Charlie, Bundy, Squizzy and Zorko buzzing around outside the packs and running forward of centre is going to be FUN.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Charlie and the Lions Factory - the Everlasting Charlie Cameron Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back