Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO I think Tasmania are at least 10 to 15 years away from getting a team

And with his mum from Adelaide, we could assume he have close family in the city to help him settle even quicker.

We'll have a club in New Zealand before we have one in Tasmania, unless relocation happens.

Tasmania is already football heartland and it's quite likely any team put into the region is only at the expense of the Melbourne clubs (which is already an over-saturated area), on top of a low and quite separated population (seeing Hobart and Launceston aren't vastly different in population size). By that alone, I'd be surprised if the AFL ever put a team in Tassie.

Not from what happened at AFL commission meeting the other day

Jungle drums are beating

The AFL commission could not justify a 17th and 18th side in the GWS and Gold Coast Sun. They have even less getting a 19th team passed.

And with the extraordinary amount of money in the AFL these days, no Victorian team will go bankrupt, they won’t relocate as they could not get North Melbourne to move to Gold Coast, moving South to Tasmania will be even harder.

I just can not see Tasmania getting a team anytime soon.

I'd be surprised if Tasmania is a 19th team and if it happened any time soon. 18 teams is already too many, 19 would be terrible.

I'd be hoping if a Tasmania team becomes a reality, they force North Melbourne or another Victorian minnow down there. Then if there was ever a vote on AFL matters, the Victorian teams would not have the power

The AFL commission could not justify a 17th and 18th side in the GWS and Gold Coast Sun. They have even less getting a 19th team passed.

And with the extraordinary amount of money in the AFL these days, no Victorian team will go bankrupt, they won’t relocate as they could not get North Melbourne to move to Gold Coast, moving South to Tasmania will be even harder.

I just can not see Tasmania getting a team anytime soon.
They can actually justify GWS and GC . Guess what ?!! 35% more people now play in some sort of AFL ( Aussie rules comp) in QLD compared to SA

On a long term perspective the expansion is going seriously well

GC won’t fail

I'd be surprised if Tasmania is a 19th team and if it happened any time soon. 18 teams is already too many, 19 would be terrible.

I'd be hoping if a Tasmania team becomes a reality, they force North Melbourne or another Victorian minnow down there. Then if there was ever a vote on AFL matters, the Victorian teams would not have the power
Yep they should send North there and North should actually want to do it .... much smarter option than doing what they’re doing for long term survival

Yep they should send North there and North should actually want to do it .... much smarter option than doing what they’re doing for long term survival
I do agree North , for their long term survival, should move. But if they werent going to go to the Gold Coast I cant see them going to Tassie

They can actually justify GWS and GC . Guess what ?!! 35% more people now play in some sort of AFL ( Aussie rules comp) in QLD compared to SA

On a long term perspective the expansion is going seriously well

GC won’t fail

I never said they would.

I do agree North , for their long term survival, should move. But if they werent going to go to the Gold Coast I cant see them going to Tassie
North could phase it in... by playing 6 home games in Tassie, then allowing Melbourne based supporters to buy access to away Melbourne games to still have access to the same "home" games they have at the moment.

It’s closer but not enough population just like the Darwin argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The population & businesses of Tasmania cannot support a Sporting club .....this has been shown time & time again

And if the AFL wanted to financially go guarantaur for a Tassie side ....they're not going to do it, till the GWS / Gold Coast sides are bedded down financially ....so that's another 20 years of wait for Tassie

It’s going to be tough, especially on the fans, but I think both North Melbourne and St Kilda need to be relocated, at the very least one of them to Tasmania.

There’s too many teams in Melbourne and the minnow clubs are just going to increasingly become a drain.

They could probably sell the Roos the relocation to Tasmania on the proviso they play 4 home games in Hobart, 4 in Launceston and 3 at Etihad, at least early in the move. The AFL could also promise minimum 6 “away games” in Victoria, meaning they’re still playing 10+ games in Victoria a year.

After that Far North QLD is probably the next frontier, but another Sydney side wouldn’t be off the cards in 10 years. Again I wouldn’t rush and also I think we need to relocate rather than expand. It’s a national competition, having 10/18 clubs in Victoria is not right.

It’s going to be tough, especially on the fans, but I think both North Melbourne and St Kilda need to be relocated, at the very least one of them to Tasmania.

There’s too many teams in Melbourne and the minnow clubs are just going to increasingly become a drain.

They could probably sell the Roos the relocation to Tasmania on the proviso they play 4 home games in Hobart, 4 in Launceston and 3 at Etihad, at least early in the move. The AFL could also promise minimum 6 “away games” in Victoria, meaning they’re still playing 10+ games in Victoria a year.

After that Far North QLD is probably the next frontier, but another Sydney side wouldn’t be off the cards in 10 years. Again I wouldn’t rush and also I think we need to relocate rather than expand. It’s a national competition, having 10/18 clubs in Victoria is not right.

It’s not really is it though. It’s just an expanded VFL comp at the moment, with all eyes on Victoria still. When some of the pomp and ceremony is shared equally maybe one day it will be.

Interested to know if it was Jones that GWS were going to grab by trying to secure pick 7 from Bullies which was the rumour in days leading to draft. Assume so based on most clubs seemingly having a good feel of who goes where in round 1

The business models have already been done, Tasmania can support a team. Also, if population is a problem... 550,000 Tasmanians supporting one team is not much different to 1,200 000 people in Adelaide supporting two teams (or nobody supporting Gold Coast). Geelong's population is less than Hobart alone. Like Tasmania is a bigger population than the biggest cities in Portugal, and they are home to professional teams that make way more money than AFL. Population isn't even close to being a problem for a Tasmanian team.

Also, the Hurricanes are doing fine so Tasmania can support a team, especially an AFL team which the whole state gets behind.

The business models have already been done, Tasmania can support a team. Also, if population is a problem... 550,000 Tasmanians supporting one team is not much different to 1,200 000 people in Adelaide supporting two teams (or nobody supporting Gold Coast). Geelong's population is less than Hobart alone. Like Tasmania is a bigger population than the biggest cities in Portugal, and they are home to professional teams that make way more money than AFL. Population isn't even close to being a problem for a Tasmanian team.

Also, the Hurricanes are doing fine so Tasmania can support a team, especially an AFL team which the whole state gets behind.

Hold on, if you're going to compare Tasmania to Adelaide it's much more reasonable to compare Tasmania to South Australia.

SA has 1.7 million compared to 0.5 million for Tasmania. So it's not quite the same as you mention.

That said the population of the greater Geelong region is under 300,00 and they have a team

Hold on, if you're going to compare Tasmania to Adelaide it's much more reasonable to compare Tasmania to South Australia.

SA has 1.7 million compared to 0.5 million for Tasmania. So it's not quite the same as you mention.

That said the population of the greater Geelong region is under 300,00 and they have a team
Two teams even if you count all of SA, its still 850000 compared to 550000, its not as big as a population difference as everyone makes out. 8 teams in Victoria = 750 000 per team. So you would expect on average Tasmania would already have a bigger supporter base than some Victorian teams. Anyway, like how can Portugal support a bunch of very professional high paid soccer clubs when their biggest city has a population lower than Tasmania, and their second biggest city = Hobart? Population is a non-issue.

*edit*
Woops there are 10 teams in victoria :oops: Divided by 6.3 million = 630 000 per team. Tasmania is 520 000. Like not much difference really. Tasmania would be more supported than the bottom 3 victorian teams. Considering we already prop up two victorian teams, Im not even sure how there is an argument that Tassie cant support a team. It's a really really bad argument.

And go Chayce! :p

Last edited:
Two teams even if you count all of SA, its still 850000 compared to 550000, its not as big as a population difference as everyone makes out. 8 teams in Victoria = 750 000 per team. So you would expect on average Tasmania would already have a bigger supporter base than some Victorian teams. Anyway, like how can Portugal support a bunch of very professional high paid soccer clubs when their biggest city has a population lower than Tasmania, and their second biggest city = Hobart? Population is a non-issue.

And go Chayce! :p

I was just pointing out the inconsistency in your calculations, as I said, a team in Tasmania would likely have more support than Geelong

However I don't think a Tasmania team can or should happen logistically unless a Victorian team is relocated there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back