Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones looked brilliant in the first half. He was attacking and composed with the ball. Just looked like he fit in beautifully.
In the second half he faded out a bit, but he was moved on to Kosi after Brown couldn't go with him for pace. Jones did a great job shutting him down.

Brilliant - No, he a wasn't. He got (and was given) 12 possessions - fewer than Brown, Mackay & Kelly. What he did with them wasn't impressive. Hamill or McPherson may have done better. Hey but let's get excited - Chayce got 12 possessions!! :D

Brilliant - No, he a wasn't. He got (and was given) 12 possessions - fewer than Brown, Mackay & Kelly. What he did with them wasn't impressive. Hamill or McPherson may have done better. Hey but let's get excited - Chayce got 12 possessions!! :D
Strongly disagree with you. He was really good until he went in to a shut down role, which he also did well.

Its sad that the standard for Jones is lowered so low that getting 12 possessions is described as 'brilliant'.
It's got nothing to do with # of possessions. It really doesn't. He was confident and assured in his game.
Jones is going to be a good player. I'm confident on that. You probably disagree. That's fine.

It's like some of you want him to fail. He's 21.

It's a curious case I personally think he is a beautiful kick, great overhead mark and a good tackler.

I thought he was strong in every contest down back on the weekend.

He even tackled oliver once.

I think give him a big block down back and start putting him to a few cba's later in the year and go from there.

Apparently he is showing 'brilliance' now! What an inspired draft selection he was.:rolleyes:
I didn't say that, he's just now starting to look like he could make the grade. Possibly because we now have competent coaches. As to whether he ends up being a good pick we'll have to wait a while yet, at least he is trending up.

I’d be livid if we drop him anytime soon. In my opinion we’ve found a player for the future in defence.
I agree with you. If Chayce settles there and is building his confidence, if he can get back to being the player he was leading into the draft in terms of his confidence levels and poise with the ball, he could make for a very damaging half back runner with an accurate kick - if that is his position going forward then so be it, it will help the team for sure

After seeing the rest of our list in the SANFL, I think we have no choice but to invest everything into Jones.

There is no one else like him on our list so I think we just have to be patient and give him every possible opportunity to help along his development.

We certainly haven't left any stones unturned with Jones so far. Reckon he's one position off being as versatile as Mackay at the moment.

Still, the last fortnight has been promising for Chayce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once upon a time the young midfielders started in the back or forward pocket/flank and developed in to midfielders. Then when they became midfielders, they had the flexibility to still play their old positions. Maybe before line coaches? 10 players that can rotate through the midfield is better than 6-8. I'm sure Jones will still play a midfield role one day, but for now it is nice to see him doing well from the back pocket.

I was listening to 5AA yesterday and Graham Cornes mentioned to Jones about his lack of chase on the outer side during the last quarter. I noticed that as well at the time. He was clearly buggered and it was good for Cornes to ask him and Jones was good about it too. Not something you want to be asked on radio - "why didn't you chase harder?". He has come in to the AFL leading various time trials in pre-season etc. but still clearly can develop the tank further and perhaps run smarter, not necessarily harder, when off the ball to conserve some energy for when he's in the contest? There is plenty of upside.

Once upon a time the young midfielders started in the back or forward pocket/flank and developed in to midfielders. Then when they became midfielders, they had the flexibility to still play their old positions. Maybe before line coaches? 10 players that can rotate through the midfield is better than 6-8. I'm sure Jones will still play a midfield role one day, but for now it is nice to see him doing well from the back pocket.

We killed a few careers (or attempted to) playing midfielders on the half forward flank.

I was listening to 5AA yesterday and Graham Cornes mentioned to Jones about his lack of chase on the outer side during the last quarter. I noticed that as well at the time. He was clearly buggered and it was good for Cornes to ask him and Jones was good about it too. Not something you want to be asked on radio - "why didn't you chase harder?". He has come in to the AFL leading various time trials in pre-season etc. but still clearly can develop the tank further and perhaps run smarter, not necessarily harder, when off the ball to conserve some energy for when he's in the contest? There is plenty of upside.
I think this is a consistent issue with Jones. He doesn’t chase hard enough off the ball when in the vicinity. He doesn’t sprint the extra 10 metres to put himself in a zone where he can potentially impact the play or put referred pressure on the opposition player going for the ball.

If he did that 4 or 5 times a quarter he’d find that he might actually create a turnover once a quarter or so and magically that’s where an extra half a dozen disposals a game will come from. All of a sudden instead of being a 10-15 disposal player he is a 15-20 dispel player. Plus he’s creating turnovers/stoppages more often which cements his place in the team. For a small incremental effort of one or two minutes a quarter it can translate to a meaningful impact personably and for the team.

I love the move of Jones down back. I know being moved into defence has a kind of "you've failed as a midfielder" feel to it, but it's not like Jones is going to make it in our midfield anyway with Berry's emergence, Laird and Keays solidifying their spots, Crouch still to come back, and Pedlar/Cook/O'Connor in the wings.

Playing down back lets Jones use his genuine strengths - pace, skills, decision-making - without having his weaknesses exposed. I think it could prove to be a masterstroke.

People will argue, but they'd be wrong. Our midfield has a hierarchy, there's those that are there to get the ball and then there's those that are there to help facilitate that. They're not all equal, stupidity to think they are. Plus there's not a lot of minutes available for the second string. That said, his SANFL form deteriorarated to a level never seen from an AFL listed midfielder.

Did graham ask him or look at what happened in the 2 minutes before that and thus why he was buggered? Had he covered for a team mate and then had to go and chase his own player, linked up on various occasions, or already been in 2 or 3 previous contests?

It's a bit simple to say he should be running smarter if the previous play hasn't been looked at.

Did graham ask him or look at what happened in the 2 minutes before that and thus why he was buggered? Had he covered for a team mate and then had to go and chase his own player, linked up on various occasions, or already been in 2 or 3 previous contests?

It's a bit simple to say he should be running smarter if the previous play hasn't been looked at.

Have you gone and looked at it?

Or are you just putting out theories about others lack of thoroughness while not having any yourself?

I actually checked out that chase on the re-watch and feel like Jones is the only reason Ed Langdon didn't get the ball back on the 1-2 give (which was 100% Langdon's intention) to run into have a open peg at his 3rd goal and put the game beyond reach. He couldn't catch up from the 10m back he started, but he closed down the space just enough that the other Melbourne player had to go back in board rather then release Langdon who was streaming towards goal with nothing in front of him but open grass. Doedee ended up chopping off the much slower I50.

Chayce's effort was the last thing I was questioning on that play.

Have you gone and looked at it?

Or are you just putting out theories about others lack of thoroughness while not having any yourself?
I just asked a question, not putting a theory out there at all. Just like you have done here too. ;)

This was right in front of me and I seem to recall he had put in some decent efforts just prior and was actually chasing pretty hard. He wasn't doing a Seedsman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back